SEASON 14 RACE 1 MALAYSIA INCIDENT REPORT

Major incident.!....major 'cock-up' on my part for taking @Dino Paolini out at the end.!!!:thumbsdown:
Can only apologise again Dino. Saw you and the blue flag, came out of the corner and lifted a fraction which caused understeer over the curb which launched me across the track.!:cry:
(The intention was to stay out on the outside letting you pass before crossing over to slot in behind, but the curb had over ideas.!).
Again, apologies.:O_o:

Lap 10, Last corner @Martin Oconnor pushed me off the track, could of been lag??? I take I wide line to get a good exit but Martin decided to dive up the inside from over a FULL car length behind me.

It was close between us but there were a few times when I thought you were going to wipe me out :( Just remember if you're behind you need to pick your braking points

Apart from that great racing, shame you had a disconnect

Karma lols :)

Took a screen of this straight after I lost connection
image.jpg

Little tap on Sean after he spun on Turn 4. Hopefully no damage for you It actually put him back straight on track, might even have help him :)

Little incident with Peter with a few laps to go. We we're into a nice fight, i was on the Inside T4 but i didn't slow enough before i run on the kerb, so i got pushed left on him and i spun. I take all the blame for it. Again i'm glad he could continue without big lost. ;)

See this video for more infos.

Steeve

some small bumps to report.

1. on the run down to turn 1, looks like peter touched artyom and he touched me, was plenty of room for all 3 of us so a little more space next time.

2. with peter at the slow uphill left, went for a pass on the inside, looked like i had plenty space but it closed very quickly and with the silliest of touches on my front wing peter half spun, i instantly slowed and allowed him to take the place back, sorry peter.

3. again with peter, managed to pass with drs on the main straight, i looked in my mirror and peter looked well behind so i took t1 like i wouldve done without anyone challenging, unfortunatly peter was closer than the mirrors told me and id moved over in front of him during the braking zone, i didnt feel anything in car but it looked like he broke hard and spun to avoid me, sorry again peter i shouldve stayed on a more predictable braking line into t1, i need to remember mirrors give a slightly false impression of distance.

I have some things to check in replay to say the least, phew.

@Steeve Fournier we had such a nice time! In replay it looks like I may have turned in a bit too hard on you in T4. I'll check that.

@David Turnbull the mirrors are not that "stable" as the r07 :( I thought you were too far back to challenge the inside tbh (read: like not more than your nose next to my rear wheel). I will check the replay. I felt sorry for you, being much faster paced than me, losing time to the front runners. Recently I found out that mirrors can be adjusted and even zoomed so I will play around with that for sure. In T1 I was rusty, lost focus of brake point and slammed the brakes (nice vibration rest of the stint!) to by all means necessary avoid bulldozing you. Magically you didnt even get pushed? :) So mission accomplished, sort of. Also, I will have to check start more closely.

Incident on my own: brake failure on front left, last lap, lost P5 and became P10/P11, not even sure :( Collecting experience...

It's worth everyone checking the replay and seeing how the mirrors make people appear further back. As Vale mentioned, I was stuck behind him and Phil for a bit and would have loved to get past a bit sooner.

I don't mind losing a couple of seconds if the guys in front are having a good fight, the trouble is, when your following people the chance of an incident increases a lot. Having looked at the incident with Dino and Mark. Whilst you could argue that it was just one of those things and everyone was just unlucky that Mark lost it at just the wrong moment, I really think Mark should have let Dino through a lot earlier. Leading the race, Dino should never have had to follow so close for so long, of course something was going to go wrong.

Perhaps the blue flags don't come out early enough, but we should all be watching trackmap as well as the gap to the rear closely and know exactly when the leaders are coming though. Certainly not meaning to pick on anyone, but I think the lesson we need to learn is that we need to be ready to be lapped before the blue flags are shown.

On a separate issue...

Peter, where did you think you finished the race? Did you perhaps stop a lap early? I was also confused after being shown the checkered flag when I should have been shown a white (last lap) flag. Peter coasted around, presuming he had finished (which is reasonable considering the checkered flag!) and I took the position off him while also coasting (though slightly faster).

If this was the case then I think we should reinstate Peters points (and sadly take mine away).

I think its an error in the game, the checkered flag really only counts after the leader has crossed the line. After the leader, then every one that crosses the line should get the checkered flag. BUT, if the clock has expired and you cross the line before the leader then you must complete one more lap (even though the game shows you a checkered flag).

It's worth everyone checking the replay and seeing how the mirrors make people appear further back. As Vale mentioned, I was stuck behind him and Phil for a bit and would have loved to get past a bit sooner.

I don't mind losing a couple of seconds if the guys in front are having a good fight, the trouble is, when your following people the chance of an incident increases a lot. Having looked at the incident with Dino and Mark. Whilst you could argue that it was just one of those things and everyone was just unlucky that Mark lost it at just the wrong moment, I really think Mark should have let Dino through a lot earlier. Leading the race, Dino should never have had to follow so close for so long, of course something was going to go wrong.

Perhaps the blue flags don't come out early enough, but we should all be watching trackmap as well as the gap to the rear closely and know exactly when the leaders are coming though. Certainly not meaning to pick on anyone, but I think the lesson we need to learn is that we need to be ready to be lapped before the blue flags are shown.
Watching the replay I have to agree with me letting Dino through sooner.
However, this is only due to realising the subject matter of what has been mentioned above about the distance/view the mirrors show.

Last edited:
Some light wheel banging in T1 at start and during the race, all normal racing events for me :)
Martin

I don't want to be the grumpy guy...

but this isn't okay Martin. You can't be the guy normally bumps wheels, whether its light or not. We're racing open wheels cars. In Presto the aim must always be to avoid contact at all costs. Perhaps you were just speaking tongue in cheek, but if you do a bit of light wheel banging, then there needs to be a report here that seeks to avoid it happening again.

On a separate issue...

Peter, where did you think you finished the race? Did you perhaps stop a lap early? I was also confused after being shown the checkered flag when I should have been shown a white (last lap) flag. Peter coasted around, presuming he had finished (which is reasonable considering the checkered flag!) and I took the position off him while also coasting (though slightly faster).

If this was the case then I think we should reinstate Peters points (and sadly take mine away).

I think its an error in the game, the checkered flag really only counts after the leader has crossed the line. After the leader, then every one that crosses the line should get the checkered flag. BUT, if the clock has expired and you cross the line before the leader then you must complete one more lap (even though the game shows you a checkered flag).

I saw that as my in-lap where I also performed some tests to conclude it was my FL brake that had broken. I have akways followed the chequered flag in trackmap. Is that not correct? :O

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%