Season 13 Race 6 ABU DHABI - INCIDENT REPORT

This has nothing to do with Vale tapping me, that was just one of those things and not a problem, this is a totally separate incident with someone, don't know who because atm I am wondering whether or not to pack in, but I just wish people would give the same consideration to me as I give to others. Hit me trying a pass in a chicane then again as I was trying to straighten up. I can only apologise for being in your way.
The fact I have posted first, after a few days, says enough.

Have a watch at the video a few time's then give your replies guy's :thumbsup:

My personal take on this incident is.... Its good you left it a few days Bob thats something I always struggled with until i woke up :D but anyhoo the incident itself, I've watched this literally 50 times from all angle's, I've asked opinion's from Sean and I can see both side's to this incident, here we go....

Bob, the entry to the chicane was spot on, left loads of room and carried that on until the next turn, at this point Bob closes the door obviously thinking Nelson had backed out as at this point he would be unsighted of Nelson's car moving forward into the turns.

Nelson like Bob takes the entry nice and tight leaving plenty of room, inbetween turn's becomes a decision do you stay in there hoping Bob know's your there or do you back out and fall behind and wait for another opportunity, watching from all angle's to me it looks like Nelson expects Bob to know he's there and they would attempt to take the next turns side by side.

my conclusion would be that there's a racing incident in here that is hard to apportion any blame to either guy, Bob rightly think's he is past and closes the door, Nelson think's Bob knows hes there and keeps the car there to go side by side through the turn's. There's 2 ways this can be avoided in future, either Nelson lifts and fall's in behind or Bob leaves some room for both to go through together, In this exact situation my opinion would be that the easiest and safest course of action would be that Nelson back's out, it's too much of a risk to go through those turn's in the hope that the other guy knows your there.

This in my opinion isn't a huge incident but obviously had dire consequences to Bobs race and frame of mind to continue, what i will say is Bob you did the right thing in waiting but you know yourself nobody in this league intentionally sets out to ruin anyones race, incidents happen and they always feel massive when we are involved in them but everyone has the same goals, close respectfull racing, you know you love it :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the video David.
Firstly let me just say I am not having a go at Nelson, I had no idea who it was and have never watched the replay. I also know collisions are not intentional here.
My problem is I always back out of a situation that may cause these incidents and 9 times out of 10 it proves wise as the other person carries on their line as normal. This never seems to happen the other way around. I would never try to pass at that point. I have tried to defend my place there, but always give it up to avoid collisions, this was the first time I didn't and it cost. I will happily race behind someone lap after lap waiting for a safe overtake and have done so in many races over the last few seasons.

My post was not a complaint about it happening, more an observation of my own lack of will to win.

On a brighter note I managed to get a G27 for £132 on Amazon Black Friday to replace my knackered DFGT. That may cheer me up when it arrives on Monday.

Last edited:
I thought this would be relevant to this situation,
This was Reik passing me for the lead, it's near identical situation, I backed out, as i said before the easiest and safest solution is to err on the side of caution, I could've tried making a quick dive to get myself level enough to force Reik to leave me the space but it's all hoping Reik would be on my wavelength at that specific moment.

Thing's happen quick in the heat of the moment and we always make decisions that we regret, It's always better to talk about it though so maybe this is time to bring it all home to everyone again, If in doubt, be cautious :thumbsup:

Great news about the G27 Bob you should be well pleased with that, might take some getting used to as you'll now have much better pedal's (if it was the DFGT pedals you were using).

It was DFGT everything, but half the buttons didn't work, I had to take the pedals apart every week to make the spring tighter and there is so much play in the wheel you can turn half revolution sometimes with no turning in game. The challenge will disappear with a new wheel.

As non-active driver, i see bob/nelson case as a pure racing incident. Either one could've changed the outcome, bob of course didn't have the luxury of knowing where both cars were. But Nelson had the right to be there too as he "survived" the braking contest.. Wheel to wheel racing just is this, sometimes you touch, more often you don't :)

All in all a racing incident but I'm also tending to Davids and Bobs argumentation. The chicane becomes very narrow after the first left hander, so the move should've clearly been done before. I understand that from Bobs view it seemed to be done and he was in the position to claim the apex.

When I passed David on the outside of the first left hander (thx for bringing it up mate ;)) he clearly appeared in my mirror before entering the chicane. So between racers it we both knew what to do. If David hadn't dropped back so much when driving side-by-side through th eleft hander, I would've granted him some room next to me throught the chicane.

Maybe in Bobs and Nelsons case it didn't turn out so clearly during the move?...

Yes I accept it as a racing incident. The thing that got under my skin was that it was an incident that, if roles were reversed, would not have happened because I would have held back. I would have been involved in hundreds of these racing incidents if I had continued on my way and not held back.

Just for curiosity, I ask this question.
If in future I find myself slightly behind another driver, as Nelson was, should I hold back to avoid a collision or continue to try the pass and possible wreck that persons race?

Careful with your answers as if you say hold back, that prove my point and if you say risk it that means I have free rein to tap people out of the way in a racing incident.

Oh and I have calmed down now so this is not an angry "WTF how should I drive" post, it is just curiosity as stated above.

No incidents to report I think not had time to go through.
I would have lifted/held back in Bob/Nelson incident, if I had a front wheel closer to car aheads front wheel I would have tried to go side by side knowing guy ahead would know I was there. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%