Season 12 Race 6 Silverstone Setup Thread

"Home of British Motor Racing"
1024px-Silverstone_Circuit_2010_version.png

Time to start this one. I used Seans setup from Shanghai. Needed to click one less front wing and one more rear wing to keep the rear on the ground on those sweepers. Then softened rear fast rebound to get better response thru the curbs. we go on such a high speed on those and can't afford a little touch to ruin the whole race. Nothing else and it feels quite good. Might need to check that aero balance further as i get more comfortable. It felt phenomenally quick with less rear wing but maybe it's too much "responsibility" for my inputs :roflmao:

First session with 20l fuel on each run to get at least solid 3 laps in a row.. Won't do those 50L runs anymore, allthou i still don't like to stop so soon ;) I have that old layout in my mind so need a few more laps in a row to get the new section (Abbey-Arena-Brookland) memorized. But i can understand why one should maybe drive with a light car at the beginning.

I could use some pointers, new abbey: 4th or 5th gear? And entry to Maggots, 5th gear on the limiter or 6th gear?

Lol, Vale has his own corner there ;)

Last edited:
Just had a look at prestoGP to see what times to aim for when I start testing. But it doesn't show any lap time for Silverstone. Didn't we race this version already last year?

Yeah, i doubt i have done 1:16 when F1 takes a about 1:30 to get around :) Must be the old Silverstone times that are up there. EDIT: noticed that they are our old F1 times, no F3000 laptimes posted, i did few laps yesterday in Qualy server.

I can't seem to get nice traction cause on the exit of corners my car seems really unpredictable. For instance exiting the arena section one lap great the next just snaps on me unexpected.
No idea what's wrong.

I can't seem to get nice traction cause on the exit of corners my car seems really unpredictable. For instance exiting the arena section one lap great the next just snaps on me unexpected.
No idea what's wrong.

What setup are you using? Seans Shanghai setup is very demanding, just little bit too much steering angle and it can snap. You can try lowering rear rebound values and increasing rear toe in (positive values = stable, negative = unstable). There's not much one can do besides just generally softening the rear due to the approach he used (pretty soft ARB and springs allready). Alternatively, you can try hardening the front suspension setup and decreasing caster (it's set so high that i'm not sure if it's over the limits, so to speak.. don't think so but worth to try.) But it does have excellent grip everywhere from what i felt in short session.

Just going on now to have some practise if anyone wants to join me :), will upload setup etc if all goes well :thumbsup:.

EDIT:Here's what I got to last night but I think will change quite a bit, finding it quite a challenge to get happy around this Silverstone. More practise over the weekend needed :thumbsup:

Attachments

• q2014 5.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
fyi abbey 5th and maggots 6th Kennet :thumbsup:. Will make vid etc tonight :thumbsup:.

Hmm... No..
Abbey on 5th = Guaranteed to go wide.
6th on Maggots = Guaranteed to go wide.

There is NO way i can do either of those turn on those speeds.. It just is impossible to me. I don't have such a precision on my turn-in that i can just jank the wheel like you do. I have to do it the old fashion way, turn-in slightly, load the tires and then do the main part of the turn.... Otherwise, it's 9 laps of spin/off-track and 1 lap of keeping it on track.. Both of those turns are unsighted, i simply don't have such a confidence.. I try to copy the lines from the video: it's over the apex curb and i'm flyyyyiing to the air.. You don't need to use even the brakes, just click one gear down and it goes on rails (same setup..). I brake, all the way to 4th on Abbey, other wise i can't keep it within track limits. No such problems in other corners, on those it looks about the same.

EDIT: With Reiks setup, now it's possible. It handles like i expect the car to handle. Seans setup was too unpredictable, understeer on low speed turns, oversteer on high speed (different aero-balance.. the preferred aero balance is always a bit understeering, if we go by the guidelines that are used in real life..) Not at the same speed but on 5th gear Abbey. It is simply: luck (with my "skills"..). I just turn-in, close my eyes (figuratively) and hope i had it right and it lands on the right place. Half a meter error on turn-in: at the apex or wide.. Way, WAY too risky for race but at least i got it once. On Maggots, i'll click on 5th, it's riding close to the limiter but then i'll get the same speed. It's so fast action that conscious decision making doesn't cut it, you either do it right from the get go or never get it. What i noticed is that those dark grooves are too wide on both turns, one needs to "cut" heavily.. But when it goes wet... then it's dark grooves or death :)

Last edited:
I lift off quite a lot for Abbey wait till passed apex before full throttle again it is quite tricky to find the correct line, lifting a lot though makes car a lot more stable.
Maggots though I find it quite easy to go full speed and slow for becketts, try and just make entry as straight line as possible to make it a lot less of a corner I don't think its unsighted.
It would be good if we had a pedal overlay to see inputs also.

Going on in 10 mins if anyone wants :thumbsup:

Having troubles on the server. It kicks me out.. Happened already twice, wondered my times were not being registered: i wasn't even in the server anymore. It doesn't disconnect, it's bug that keeps you on track, like everything is normal, you log out, try to get back in: then you get disconnected message. It's a bug that's arose only lately, a lot of guys from fbu also had the same on my server.. And observed network traffic when it happened on my dedi and everything looked ok, no CPU spikes or anything. In game client, also nothing visible, no stutters or minifreezes. It hasn't happened on race session, so far it's been only practices and qualy.

Yeah, i finally figured out what was wrong with my lines.. The dark grooves all wide ALL OVER!! Pretty much every turn, did it so that i was inside the dark line: 1:48.7 (not registered... timing sheet showed 2 laps while i did 4..).. I'm back at the pace from two seasons ago! The dark grooves are not the real racingline. On Maggots and Abbey, on those two the difference is the most severe, trying to with the dark will cause at least a second in laptime. Watched the video for few times, compared to my replay, went on track, season pb on first try...

EDIT II: Yeah, quick update.. 1:47.5 and 2 tenths lost on that lap (plus i used rad2 and 20l to get full two attempts, but i'm happy with this pace)... Yeah, baby.. It was all about those too wide lines. Reiks setup, took one click off from the rear wing.

Last edited:
There's a wrong time for me too at prestgp.com, i certainly did not do 1:45.3.. It's the pitstop lap in race stint. For once i have dial back on my criticism on track conversions, there nothing one could do differently (if the lap starts/stops at pit exit, then the outlap has shorter route, that would've been better choice as it's clear one cheats if they go thru pits and continue the lap but it doesn't solve the issue..).. We don't use pit limiters so the route thru pits is just way shorter than regular race lap with almost the same speed..

What that means is that NO ONE will enter the pits in qualy!
ONLY WAY TO STOP QUALYRUN IS TO ESC OUT!!!!

I remember that from watching the British GP in 2011, they were talking about how drive through penalties were pretty small just because the route's so short. So drive throughs aren't used at Silverstone, they default to stop & go penalties instead, just so it's a significant penalty.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 105 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.1%