Season 12 Race 5 Shanghia Setup Thread

Took my old Australia setup, seemed comfortable to drive. Doing 1:51s with 50l starting fuel. Qualy time is at 1:50s, not gonna improve much.

This just one lap, it's not perfect in any sense but happened to be session best. Those long turns and maybe the track in general requires a lot of patience, nothing happens here if i push at all.. So it's slow and steady, i can do these 1:51s to the end, easily.

edit: uploading..

Last edited:
Anyone up for some practice tonight? I could use some time with others on track.. My tires are going way too soon and dropping pace even a tenth is not an option. ATM, it looks like i have to do a three stop race and with race pace of around 1:51, that's not viable tactic...

.... i cant race again. i came home yesterday. i was able to do a few laps but there is not enough time to get used to the track.

i would like to train today but i cant since i have a meeting this afternoon. its so annoying. but i know myself and if i dont have enough track time, especially on a track i havent driven before, there is no chance i will drive a clean enough race. (and this race is a wet race too)

i am sry guys. if my timeschedule stays the same for the next few weeks and races i might even consider withdrawing from this season. but i am still hoping it gets better.

all the best luck for you all tomorrow. have fun

greetings
julius

Have you tried my setup Kennet ? I've done some testing and they lasted even 1 stopping with a couple warnings few laps before end of stint.
The long corners sliding is where u can wear to much and also lose time check my video a few times and see where I just look to be tight line and steady down gears etc.
If rear a bit tricky 23/25 also works well:thumbsup:

I can't practise tonight I'm at work have fun though :)

If i back up to 1:53, yeah, one stopper.. I'm trying to steer as little as possible and trying to use the rear for extra rotation when needed. Was watching literally with my mouth open how others drove (on wet, doesn't really change on things, it's the same time difference on dry..) and said to myself "wtf?" Everyone was going one gear faster on almost every turn, braking 50m later.. Using 22/30 wings thou and that already feels oversteering. It could be that everyone is dancing on the limits on every turn and i'm just too cautious, scared of driving with any risk. And of course i have at least 50l of fuel...

Well, let's see how it goes tomorrow. Certainly not gonna practice anymore, i can just feel frustration creeping in and then it's downhill from there. Specially in Shanghai where pushing literally destroys your time and tires. My pace is what it is, just have to accept it.. again..

It could be that everyone is dancing on the limits on every turn and i'm just too cautious, scared of driving with any risk. And of course i have at least 50l of fuel...

or it could be youve not tried seans setup and practised with it, whats this 50l all about too lol if you want to improve your times then lower fuel, take seans advice, 22/30 wing shows you aint been paying attention kennett, cmon wake up!!

p.s my practise routine since season 2....

hotlaps x 100+ with 12l fuel

2 days before race, do 2 stints, 1 stopper fuel and 2 stopper fuel.

race day, make decision and stick with it.

Last edited:
@Sean Greenlaw thanks for the setup. The diff settings were easily worth more than half a second alone for me here :thumbsup:

Though after further testing on your settings, are you sure about those tire pressures? I've ended up increasing them all 10-15kpa in order to get sufficient pressure buildup throughout a race stint. And they're still lower than ideal for a single flying lap.

Hotlapping? All thru the practice? At the back? Doesn't make ANY sense to me.. No idea how tires will last, different braking points, turn-in.. No consistency, just stop and go for hours..

Less rear wing helped for the tire wear. I haven't tried Seans setup, didn't think it was mandatory to use it.. Mine is from Australia, just wings set differently. This is what you have told me, that it ISN'T about setup but how i drive.. And i've been told to NOT do hotlaps, now everything is opposite? So i should take two laps worth of fuel, do outlap, hotlap, esc, outlap, hotlap,esc? Excuse me, obviously i don't know crap but that doesn't sound logical to do shortest stints possible for one hour race. If race was 4 laps, yeah..

I honestly thought you guys were doing longer stints, not just hotlapping.. For about.. well, all the time i've been in PrestoGP, that's what i thought.

kennett, nobody said its mandatory to use any setup but are you posting for help or posting just to let everyone know the ins and outs of your setups and what they do for you?

ive told you loads of times how i do my practise schedules, and that same schedule applys to sean too, the whole point of hotlapping so much is because if you can handle a twitchy car at its maximum then you can handle high fuel with relative ease, ive only been telling you that for 2 years lol, the stints get easy eventually because your so used to the optimum lines as its easier to achieve them with a lighter car, youll be so used to driving the car fast that you'll even feel that high fuel isnt far away from hotlaps at all, all ive ever done is change my qualifying setups to rad2 and add fuel, no other changes so im used to the setup.

this isnt about setups though kennett your right but using a setup that most of us are using will help eliminate problems you encounter and help to find where your loosing out, just try it honestly for a week after this race, please :)

EDIT: another tip is because this season has been mainly 2 stoppers myself and sean have been using the 3 laps (5 mins) races on the qualifying server and using 65l for them, weve also had a couple runs with 90l if the track looks close with strategy, this also helps get used to the high fuel feel.

Last edited:
I'll try. But hotlapping is not for me, i'm telling you.. Just one little bit of mistake and that's it, you're done, next attempt. At the end of the day, you've done 100 hotlaps and 200 outlaps. I'll rather do 100 race laps, at least i can do lap after lap without breaks.

What i might do instead, is time trial. There one can do lap after lap of hotlapping, in consistent manner. I just feel like that stop&go is against constistency. Obviously everything i say and do is wrong anyway.

The thing is.. I do 8 laps, i'm within one second from my fastest lap. And that's it. Did few hotlaps, 1:50.1.

Your right @April Dillon raising pressures usually helps make tires last a bit longer, I try stints with q setup off the bat and if they last ok then fine. I got warning on lap 16 so if one stop was 17/18 laps so maybe slight more pressure could make them last best just for those extra laps. I'll also probably race with 23/25 if wet or dry to.

As for hotlapping I think finding your ultimate pace helps to go to a slower stint pace, consistency overall maybe comes easier though personally. I find I can do 100 q laps with around same outlaps without many mistakes only usually abandoning a lap if I'm way off beating pb, also I don't know if using time trial is good as you get optimal tire wear etc ,I can always go a lot faster in time trial than can actually do online on server.

It probably doesn't matter if you do a lot of 1 lap flyers or not but as long as some low fuel like you say Kennet over all its just down to practise. I think I've done quite a lot of practise over the years I can now go on and get down to within a couple of laps to within .5 or so of what is possible for myself. Here I have done maybe 6/7 hours practise including one 1 stop and 2 stop full stints, with a lot of short races with race fuel. The rest of the I'm trying to beat pb which I've only got to 45.7s this track just shy of old pb,

Tried Seans setup and boy, it really is quite magical. Caster 12 :) But i like the stiff shocks, it turns on a dime. But for some reason, i had 158kPa tire pressures, about 20 too much... After 4 laps i had 78/94/82 temperatures :) Really fine to drive, tricky but responsive, kind of "no prisoners".. In hindsight, it's good that i didn't use it in Shanghai, it requires a bit different approach but i'm gonna study it well, try to use that as a base for Silverstone, i could imagine it works nicely there. We are doing beer runs with our guys every friday (at fbu.enjin.com, same name in the server lobby, website is only for finnish players, sorry :( ) but anyone is free to join. We use F3000 too, wasn't my choice but suits me well :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%