SEASON 12 Race 1 ISTANBUL RACE REPORT

Correct me if I am wrong here, but this track is supposed to be brutal on tyres and this caused most people to do two and some three stop strategies? Well... I did this on a one stop! I qualified seventeenth out of twenty three entrants.

the track isnt any diffrent from others really in the way the tyres wear, most people chose the 2 stop strategy because it was faster for them, it all depended on the pace you could manage on both strategies, for me the 2 stop was clearly the fastest option.

the track isnt any diffrent from others really in the way the tyres wear, most people chose the 2 stop strategy because it was faster for them, it all depended on the pace you could manage on both strategies, for me the 2 stop was clearly the fastest option.

Oh, okay thank you David, I thought I had heard somewhere tyre wear was really bad here. Guess I heard wrong.

Oh, okay thank you David, I thought I had heard somewhere tyre wear was really bad here. Guess I heard wrong.
I think the clue is that Istanbul might be one of the tracks that is rough on the tyres, but the difference between the least and most rough track does not seem to be very significant. Bottom line is that I agree with David, both strategies should work in all races, it is just a matter of time what will be quicker.

Personally I am surprised about 2 stoppers getting tyre warnings, I didn't get them when I did 19 laps on the 32 min server. But then I'm not the fastest dude either :)

Nico is correct. Tire degradation is pretty much the same in all tracks, to the point where i'm not exactly sure if that parameter, attrition even works... You can have 2 and put it to max 30 and i can't say within 100% if it does anything.. Sliding is what destroys tires in Race07 the most, any kind of slippage to any direction.

Didn't get tire warnings, barely hit 75% on 13 laps with totally irresponsible driving style according to my tire guys, didn't think twice to push thru T8.

so,
i took myself sometime yesterday to watch and reflect the race.

first of all i have to give credits to bob luneski, nicolai nicholson, jim hawley, nicolas rouge, anthony ishak for the wheel to wheel action. so much fun.

if there was one incident in the race where i think it was close and i was being kind of cut off, it was with nelson ullinskey. but i am sure he wasnt aware that i was so near to him.

i made a personal highlight video yesterday in which you can see most of the racing i was involved. (sounds seem to be messed up at some points )

be invited to watch.

greetings
julius

Last edited:
I struggled a lot with grip in this race, I did 2 stints on the 33m server last week practicing a 1 stop strategy I did 20 laps and the tires lasted the whole stint without any problem, the front tires had 65% left after he race and the car felt great.

in the main race on lap 15 I got a tire warning message and when I pitted end of lap 19 the front right tire had 39% and the left tire 49%, !!! I attached a picture showing the telemetry when the race finished on lap 38, front left 52% and front right 41%..!!! I was driving on the rims !!
Nicolai told me after the race that the practice server had 1x tire wear few days before the race so it seems I planned my strategy based on wrong data :cry:

beside that I enjoyed my race a lot, battling with Nico, Richard, Julius, Vale and Bob. :thumbsup:

Grats to David for winning the opening race, to podium and all finishers .

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    339.6 KB · Views: 237
It's so easy to destroy those front tires in Istanbul, it's bumby and we get a lot of slippage skipping from bumb to bumb.. Also on the rear, same thing.. I put so much front wing that i possibly could, that T8 alone can destroy tires if you have to push thru it. I chose to feather it, in full throttle and just turning a bit too much with the aero i had i could easily spun the car.. Usually you can't do that on those speeds. Rest of the corners really don't care what wings you have, they are either too slow for proper DF or too fast, where you got plenty of grip.

Noticed that on the first offline practice, understeer and caring for tires dropped my pace to unacceptable levels while still eating tires way too fast. Would've been one more second off the pace. Next track should be a lot easier, the modelling isn't exactly perfect, it's smooth surface. Regular aero balance, medium wings, your choice on suspension etc. a lot more freedom on setups and driving style.

anthony those tyre wear values are roughly the same as id got when i done a stint with nico, steeve and julius, id done 2 stop the night before and my tyres were well up in the 70%'s allround, the next night i tried 1 stopper with the guys and my tyres were shot after 19 laps, lowest was 49% rest all mid 50%'s, i think thats probably standard for 1 and 2 stop, with 1 stop your heavier when you should be fastest, then when your light your on worn tyres, it just didnt make sense for me at instanbul, might do in other places though :thumbsup:

Nicolai told me after the race that the practice server had 1x tire wear few days before the race so it seems I planned my strategy based on wrong data :cry:
This is correct and I am sorry for that Anthony.

2x wear is not something the server software offers, I need to manipulate a config file to acheive it (hence it sais 0x tyre wear in the lobby as it doesn't understand the 2x value). I changed it to 1x in the off-season and forgot to change it back until a couple of days before the race when Reik made me aware of the problem.

in the main race on lap 15 I got a tire warning message and when I pitted end of lap 19 the front right tire had 39% and the left tire 49%, !!! I attached a picture showing the telemetry when the race finished on lap 38, front left 52% and front right 41%..!!! I was driving on the rims !!
So you did 2x19 laps and had such a big difference in tyre wear? 1. stint FL=49% FR=39% 2.stint FL=62% FR=41%
Then I agree there could be something going on. I am hoping the tyre wear thread can help shed some light on you situation. Personally my own wear is very consistant. Even if I try I am not able to get more than 1-2% difference in wear based on driving approach and setup changes in a 22 min stint.

What also is a bit surprising is the difference (between you and me) in Front/Rear wear, I took the liberty to include you in my post (based on the screen shot).

Last edited:
Q 14th
PB in the first try, collision with Mert in the second try but I wasn't faster. No time to try something else.

R 9th
I decided to go for a 2-stopper since I felt I would be too slow with 1-stopper strategy, so it was 65 + 65 + 60 (laps 13 & 26 pit stop).
The race was very intense, it's a promising season with a lot of people in my pace range, that should give me a lot of work! I had a lot of battles with some drivers : Nicolai, Julius, the Bobs, etc. and could only relax a little in the 3rd stint, after Nicolai passed me. In front I couldn't believe the pace of Jim who was in 1-stopper. He made what I tried to do in some races but never succeeded. Well done!

Thanks Nicolai for running this league. Congratulations to David for the win, CU on track!

So you did 2x19 laps and had such a big difference in tyre wear? 1. stint FL=49% FR=39% 2.stint FL=62% FR=41%

Sorry , My mistake Nicolai, the front left was 59% and not 49%. so 59% /39% and 62%/ 41% ( the picture I attached in my previous post was the value of the tire wear taken when I pressed print screen right after I crossed the finish line).

Q. 2nd
R. 2nd
62x62x62

Got off the line pretty good and as David said the whole 1st stint was pretty close and also with Reik right behind us. I chose when close to David to pit 1 lap early end of 1st stint and I made a very slight error on pit entry cost me a second or 2 and then also slight slide into box, following lap David came out a few seconds ahead meaning Reik was closer and David had a small but comfortable gap.
2nd stint was pressure for Reik being close then dropping slight then close again so I couldn't get to relaxed until Reiks somewhat early pitstop.
After this was quite comfortable in position 2 and also after 2nd stop although David out of reach barring mistake.
Overall was a really good race and happy with minimal practise result, can see there being a few great battles throughout some races this season :thumbsup:, sorry so late with report, but busy and when not busy I'm sleeping atm :D.

Grats to David and Reik And well done to everyone who finished the race :cool:

Cyas Melbourne !!

First of all big grats to David and Sean! :thumbsup:

I'm very sorry for late reply and very few attendence here but my new job eats much more of my free time since the beginning of the year. :(

Q (3rd):
Made an OK lap which put me on a fair P3.

R (3rd):
Race started well and I was able to follow Sean an David in P3. It quickly showed we all were on a simple 2 stopper (I planned for doing 3x 13 laps, each stint with 63 liters).

When the race had settled I felt I could drive a little bit faster than Sean but allowed him to open a 3 second gap by doing slight mistakes.

When the first stop came closer I decided to go in one lap earlier (end of lap 12) just to create the possibility of being faster by doing something different (for example he could have a lapping move when I'm already in the pits).

My stop went well and the outlap too, so when Sean had done his stop I was a bit closer than before and after a few more laps I was at his tail. Now I was able to make pressure on him but couldn't bring me in an attacking position. I was a bit faster but Sean made no mistake :thumbsup:, so I had the feeling I needed to do some undercutting again to get passed him.

In the end of lap 21 we were to arrive at a group of cars to be lapped. I immediately thought I should try to pit and benefit from a clean run afterwards, whilest Sean would lose time when doing all the lappings.

Result: Yes, I had a clean run but stopping at lap 21 instead of 26 put so much more fuel into my car, so my lap times were ~0.5 slower in average compared to the pace before. In addition thosg five extra laps with a heavier car made it even worse with tyre wear in the end of the stint.

Finally I brought home P3 with a disappointing gap to Sean and the feeling it could have been a better fight for P2 until the end of the race if I had been more patient.

Conclusion: I hate having "quick" ideas in the race. :mad: Again I learned to better stick with the plan and make the best out of it. ;) :whistling:

C U all down under...

Hi guys, i wanna say this is not the place where id need to post videos totally different to the subject here, but like i said previosly here, that i missed the race cause of an event and said if i can i would want to share that same event with you, so here it is, i just got the video.

I hope you will like it :D, guys shouting, are shouting after me ^_^

On the TV screen its me they are watching all the time, more in the desc of the video

Dusko Dusko hes our man, if he cant do it no one can!!

did you win the championship?

Nope, i was invited and participated only on one event from the Championship, they are running each Wednesday but i cannot go :D however won 3 of 3 in 1st group, entered the final 3 there lost all of them due to switch from BMW to Seat Leon as you can see in the video i was fighting from last towards the front runners, after 3 races and starting the next from the position you finished on previous race, on last and third race of the finale i finished on 2nd, and it was great fun!

And if i cannot then you might :p

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%