Season 12 and future: Platform discussion

my own personal opinion is that race07 is prestogp's sim, it shouldnt change, presto's bread and butter will always be race07, wether thats f3000, mmg, whatever, i draw the line at tintops though cmon now :roflmao:

we could run 2 sims fairly comfortably we feel, we have our member base for race07 which will be the main sim, and we can recruit for another.

I Like the idea, but is it possible for Nico to have support (if he needs some) to run servers and everything on other platforms? Nico is doing such a good job on Race07, i don't want to lose that quality for extra work cos running another plateform... see what i mean?

I can imagine some prestogp Alien having a shot as a team in FSR :) That would be nice :thumbsup:

I also know a league in RF2 that might have some driver interested in presto Philosophie.

I like the idea that Race07 remains the HOME of prestogp as it's a safe working platform, such a nice bunch of people playing this game, getting exciting championships... Thats a WINNER :thumbsup:

David is sooo right, this group of people joined in a common quest is special indeed. Preserving that is top priority. Change is something that seems harder to do when things are this good. but i think it should be easier to take risks venturing in to unknown when we have 100% proved and tested concept.

Doing two leagues is interesting, one with the championship and other one for mainly testing new grounds. But only if it doesn't interfere with championship.

It's funny, i've gone from "we must change" to "naah, this is great" in a season :) And the longevity that Race07 has offered is impressing.

I know I don't really have a say mainly cause I have only just came back but I think that assetto corsa could be a viable option. The only thing that I think that it lacks is pitstops but the formula abarth is fantastic to drive and drives really well. Multiplayer should be coming before the new season will start and if we go for quicker cars there will be the turbo 80's lotus on there too (79t I think can't remember tho) but I do think that it will be a great league platform. :thumbsup:

I know I don't really have a say mainly cause I have only just came back but I think that assetto corsa could be a viable option. The only thing that I think that it lacks is pitstops but the formula abarth is fantastic to drive and drives really well. Multiplayer should be coming before the new season will start and if we go for quicker cars there will be the turbo 80's lotus on there too (79t I think can't remember tho) but I do think that it will be a great league platform. :thumbsup:

like i said before we could have more trials of diffrent games, theres no set timescale, what i would say is i think the abraths are too slow, we need something f3000 speeds and above i think to keep it all intresting, but assetto could be a game used in future tests thats not out of the question by any means, its lack of vital features at the moment stop it from being used in leagues like ours.

I don't really deserve a say after my abismal showing in season 11, but for me it's Race07 or nothing, I won't be buying any new sims and when Race07 goes I will have to find something else to do.

i think your missing the point bob, race07 isnt going anywhere so youll always have a league to race in with the game you choose, but hopefully you agree times move on and everyone cant be expected to stay with only race07 in future, what i and a lot more will do is race in both leagues i.e race07 and whatever else we do, i speak for myself here but i feel now i need something diffrent but the same if you know what i mean, i want the same racing philosophy, the same friends and the same fun but i want that in more than just race07, if i could have it in race07 and a newer sim, more upto date, better physics, id take it, it might be asking for alot but thats my vision :)

There's enough material to write a blog or serial of articles (or RD frontpage) from those tests.. That is if anyones interested dabbling in journalism, RD frontpage is excellent training ground: you get there very easily but it gives pretty large dedicated audience. One that might be interested respected league testing new gen sims for serious league use in 2014,instead of "features are available soon™" that most sims seems to do (leagues are pretty low on their priority list, casual/matchmaking style is better moneymaker).

I'm keen for Presto to maintain its strengths, which we all agree revolve around a stable and committed community. I do however think its important we remember the basis of that community. A League interested in simulating F1 and enjoying it together.

I think the time for us to switch sims is fast approaching. For me, the only downside to switching sims is the possibility of losing members, particularly those who are keen to switch but simply don't have a PC capable of running the newer sims.

With all that in mind, I like David and Seans proposal of another season of F3000 run alongside a beta season of RF2. I will struggle to practice for both, but some how I'll try and make it happen. I'm less convinced that its a viable option for us to continue with two sims for more than one season. I would support both, if we hoped and planned to move to RF2 completely the season after. Obviously if the RF2 trial was a disaster and just didn't work then we go back to the drawing board, but all things being equal, I think a season of transition and then a complete move would be a good solution for keeping the community together. A long term strategy of multiple sims sounds too fragmented to me, it would end up like the Pacific league, which really ran quite separately with its own community and style, until it ran out of steam.

I look forward to continuing this conversation and racing again soon.

I agree with what Tims saying as my sim racing began because of interest with f1, I also miss the speed to and I look forward to the day we can return to a f1 based car whatever the sim.
I think rf2 is quite far into development with it also running better on alot of systems now and there are a lot of leagues using it and the options and cars to choose you get with it are also what sets it apart from the rest, I feel its going to be the future of most sim racing communities. I can't see it being a disaster for these reasons and I completed my 1st 2 rf2 league races with just a few mistakes.
I thinks its important to try and please everyone if its possible as I hate to see a decision result in people forced to leave but I see that we may lose people if there's no change in the future with Dino being a big loss for me as someone to race with and the league as a whole.

I'm pretty sure that everything that's done in this "parallel" test season will help keeping the costs of new gear to minimum. All kinds of tweaks etc comes from such extensive testing and we know the real hardware requirements needed. Those of us who hasn't the equipment to run it, can't hold on forever. I feel like i've had one extra year to get proper gaming gear.

I'm taking this in testing: http://balordoteam.blogspot.it/p/blog-page_28.html

AFAIK, it's legal and complete F1 2013 mod. That's all i know now so remember that if you download it that it might not be legal (personally, i don't care what's the status if it's just for personal use, only online legality is on my radar..)

EDIT: I uploaded it to my dropbox, PM me for a link. The original DL is in mediafire behind captcha and if i remember correctly, mediafire doesn't work for all.. Try it first, if you got problems, try different browser or PM for alt link.

know issues:
- helmets are not updated to 2013 season
- no kers
- no drs
- no intermediate compound (AI Cars never use this)

None of those are really important, maybe inters are there but AI just don't use them.. If nothing, i can make the inters.. EDITII: Inters are there in a separate file. The whole install is a bit of a mess, i'll repack it if it's worth to look at in the first place. There bunch of setup files included, which is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
I'll do some live commenting on this post about this mod.

First look: impressive! Cars look just right, beautiful work. I doubt this is scratch made but if it is, we are talking about very talented modellers.

Going on Track,i chose A1 Ring as my testbed. F1 should feel at home here, it's the Red Bull Ring after all.. Going to take some instant burnout tests and then slowly on track. Sticking wings at the middle of the range. At the same time we see the setup screen...

Ok, Front Wing range is 1-40, default is at 27. Sounds about right. Same at the rear.
Front Suspension, very stiff. Spring set to 120N/mm, range starts from 68.
Rear, same range, default at 106. Again, sounds plausible.
For some reason, even after i installed the new tyre compund file, i have only hard and wet.. hmm, i'll inspect that later. Lets go with the default setup since it looks allright. Cambers, casters etc, all look allright, nothing extreme. I hope these have enough spring range to get third springs working, ;) ..

Here we go..

Out from the garage, there's so much torque that you don't need to press throttle at all, just engage first gear and it starts to move. Engine idles at 5000 so it isn't that impossible. You can bog it with a touch of brake. Tires lock up easily.. Having a hard time negotiating A1 Ring very tight pit exit, had to use clutch button to slow down enough. It's 2013, exhaust blown diffuser, again plausible.

Burnout went like expected, first small one to simulate launch, rear twitched nicely. Second, longer burnout, and i almost spun. Thru the grass, back on track and accelerating to first hairpin. Heavy brake, tires lockup really soon but brake distance is tiny. I wasn't yet at 300km/h but it immediately comes clear that the main challenge is going to be braking. Car turns in really nicely around apex and launch is FAST.. Of course, i haven't driven F1 in ages but this thing has grip on the acceleration curve..

Two complete laps, medium corners are a bliss.. FFB works perfectly, feedback is MMG quality. The whole mod is really really high quality. I can smell MMG physics thru out everything, all the way up to the tires. I need a second opinion on the grip, it seems high but this was just a scratch. Locking up in each corner and rarely twitching under heavy acceleration, hmm... The highest torque is at the very top of the rev range and the overall curve is smooth. Engine brake mapping seems very high and engine mapping low.

Car is table. Maybe too much but i'm at 90% speed at best.. Scraping the ground is VERY expensive in terms of speed. This is a VERY good thing as we have been getting away with scrubbing like it's still 1980..

No DRS/KERS etc frills, i think we all agree that it's better this way.. There's definitely an attempt to simulate blown diffuser, this can cause the most divide in opinions. Personally, i do like it. There's a real challenge but exits are really much easier. When it's taken to the limits, things change so... Fastest drivers need to do that test... I'm going to concentrate on tires and the physics side, for complete evaluation we need fuel consumption, tire degradation and the "arch" how they change (is there a drop off?). I can dig out the real values when needed (if there's no need to check, i'd rather keep this mod as a surprise rather than spoil it..i've ruined so many mods, this feels a bit special..)

I recommend looking in to this option, it might even be better than MMG and with the simulation of enhanced low speed grip it could be a bit easier (we don't know what taking things to maximum and beyond yet does..) to support us in the back. The setup is also default in my tests but i will do the extreme soft setup test later, when i figure out the tire issue. I recommend for testing to just download the main package, it's easy to install. It definitely is not more torque and less grip, it's more torque, even more grip and ultra good aero (@90% pace...)

Oh, it's league edition, only visual differences. Same tyres and engine for all. Tire file is still not working, there's something wrong as all compounds are defined in the file the but game just shows two... :( I think i know where the bug is thou.. EDIT: It seems like the correct file is already in the package. The extra tire "patch" has just hard and wet... So the main package is League Edition, no need to do anything.EDIT2: Except that it isn't.. The package has an exe that should take care of installing the new compound, the guy hasn't figured out how to use several compunds on one .TYR file.. oh well, let's repair it.. I just need the MMG .tyr file to copy compound names, that's all.. Getting MMG download link is not easy, it's RD exculsive and it's not hosted in RD anymore, lol..

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it was in parts there.. Oh well, i got it from MAK website.

On that 2013 mod, it has some issues because it only accepts two compounds at any one time. I can't find the reason for it.

It's around 2 secs faster than MMG at Watkins Glen with (i think) Super Softs. They did heat up appropriately and the grip was phenomenal. It lacks certain "attack" so turn-in is not as precise as one would assume. The tire slip curves are strange, you get more grip while accelerating as a blown diffuser simulation but since it isn't full simulation, revs don't matter. Just the fact that going in to corners slow in, fast out or taking a wider line just to keep the car accelerating feels a bit artificial. It might also cause issues when decelerating in a fast corner (Silverstone comes to mind) since it has less grip or to put it more precise, it has steeper drop-off but the same max/optimum grip (it's just that those two "modes" are very narrow when decelerating and very very wide when accelerating.)

As far as skill level required and how "hard" these are to drive.. Unfortunately i think that modern F1 is exactly this easy.. I honestly do. So do a lot of real racers, they all speak in unison that sims are too hard and i have no doubt that MMG 2007 would be judged "as slippery as ice", 120% too hard or something in that order.. Skill level is moderate, but i have knack that in order to go WDC fast, the risk level rises expontentially.. and that to finish +60 minutes race one can't drive as fast as these can go. Again, sounds good simulation but it's totally untested feature. First i need to really sort that tire issue, there's no reason why MMG Wt/IntMed/SprSft/Sft/Mdm/Hrd tire compund selection won't work here (not even when importing MMG tires to 2013 mod. Only two compounds..) EDIT: I think i got it, MMG tyres work now, all compounds.. no reason why the originals wouldn't then..

Last edited:
Problem solved, the original filename was in a conflict somewhere.. By the way, slip curves are identical to MMG (which in turn were identical to some mod or it could've been simbin default, can't remember..) In fact, 2013 tires had less grip on the super softs but their dimensions have changed since 2007. I'll repack it now that i have it all configured and upload it to dropbox.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 225 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 153 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years