Season 11 - Weather

I've read your points 2a and 2b Tim.
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/racing-platform-for-season-10.58134/page-4#post-1327317

2a: This could be done. It wouldn't matter to me. The difference in work for me would be negligible I think, so it is up to you all how we will do.

2b: This could also be done.

We could easily ensure some wet races for season 10, instead of having like last season where we could have had anything between 0 and 10. I could just randomly decide on a number of wet races or whatever.

Appreciate the feedback! :)

Daniel, I like what you say here.
We could easily ensure some wet races for season 10, instead of having like last season where we could have had anything between 0 and 10. I could just randomly decide on a number of wet races or whatever.

Here is some weather feedback from me:
-As always I love the randomness/unknown factor and hope we can keep that
-I agree that it would be nice to avoid the randomness by chance leaving us almost without wet races (like season 9)
-When practice is wet and the rest is dry I find it a bit counter-productive, as I from a bird perspective see the importance of everyone being as prepared as possible for the race.
-It would be nice to avoid a situation where we eg. are promised 3 wet races, and after 9 rounds we have had 2 (meaning we know it will be wet for the last one.
-I think, like many others, that the races with the changing conditions are the coolest!

I like the way Daniel has done it and its always been random and a unkown for us which makes it extra exciting. I think we had 1 wet q and 1 part wet race last season so wasnt to bad in trying to be like a average f1 season remembering we are only 10 races.

How about a scenario which perhaps can increase or decrease chances of wet race depending on what previous race was ? Say Daniel makes 15 files to pick from each race Randomly, with 2 wet/partial wet and 13 dry in the pick to start with.
Race 1 is dry then he adds a wet file to the random pick so 12 vs 3 Race 2 dry the 11 vs 4 and so on etc but also if for example Race 1 was wet it would be 14 vs 1 for next race 2 so it doesnt get crazy and end up last 5 races all wet etc.
You can see it this way if 1st 3 dry we would be close to 50% chance of wet file being picked by then, it may still end up being dry for every race to this way to but i think with chance increasing as we went it would more than likely be atleast 2 wet/partial wet races.
We could also make it even easier we could just use previous f1 race for the weather we will have, but then we lose the randomness which i enjoy. Sometimes last season i was hearing thunder when there was actually no sound at all at Interlagos, just Daniel playing mind games with my brain :D.

Overall though i would like to leave it same as Daniel has done as we wouldnt like a unrealistic scenario where we had more than 4 races wet ?which we could have by increasing chances even by a little, i think that would just seem wrong and as we had a couple wet or partial wet sessions last season a little less than people would want but it is quite realistic compared to real life f1.

Silverstone, Spa and Singapore should be rainy races. Monza and Abu Dhabi and Hungaroring dry. But we have Daniel so none of us know what's going to come. Let's give him free hands the coming season. I'm sure he will give us what we want. Somewhere around 25 percent of the total racing time in wet conditions I would guess.

Is it realy important to have different rain possibilities for the tracks? Not that it makes things too tricky for Daniel(?).

Personally I wouldn't value realism that high in this case, so I wouldn't mind having a wet race in Abu Dhabi and a dry one in Spa. Otherwise it could be easy to guess the weather for lets say Abu Dhabi, because in reality it's nearly impossible to have a wet race there, right? (unless Bernie wants a wet track)

I think we should just give feedback on last season's weather and then trust Daniel to consider what we say and make those changes he sees fit. I might be repeating myself, but my feedback is:
-I wished more races were affected by rain than in season 8 and 9
-The combo wet practice and dry qualify and race I'm no big fan of

Other than this I think it is perfect.

I would also like to make the point that even if an event is affected by rain, it might very well be dry most of the time. For me it is a big difference between an event that is wet all the time and one with changing conditions. As long as more than 50% of the race is in the dry, one can get away with only dry practice (minimum practice time required). My point is that if one think of a wet race as wet all the time then I agree that 1 or maybe 2 races in a season is more than enough. Bot if the majority of a "wet race" was is in the dry, I would have no problem with 3-5 races affected.

Daniel made the last Istanbul race super interesting compared to the dry ones that, if we look back, has been in majority. When randomness and percentage settings has decided the conditions for us the "stupid tin box" choice usually have resulted in a dry conditions race. Let us give Daniel unrestricted freedom in creating his (virtual) racing weekend weather. Skip the computed part of the decision making. No computer of today can compete with the human mind in the area of imagination and creativity.

I wish more races were affected by shorter rain showers.

I think You are right about the wet practise, dry qualifying and race Nicolai. It would be more interesting if the whole event had weather that felt more consistent to mother natures own way of exposing us to the elements, and more in line with our tight time table.

Edit:
Please forgive me for the "stupid tin can" remark. I'm sure you are a competent programmer. And I'm convinced you can never make the computer nearly as intelligent as your own human brain. Let us know if you succeed:)

Let us give Daniel unrestricted freedom in creating his (virtual) racing weekend weather. Skip the computed part of the decision making. No computer of today can compete with the human mind in the area of imagination and creativity.

That's what I'd support 100%. Daniel got so much input about how we like it, so I'm sure he would "create" us (instead of "calculate") very nice scenarios. Daniel just needs to tell if that is harder or easier than he did it until today. Also it would apply to his freedom how the forecast would look like then, because when "creating" the weather, he knows about it (which wasn't the fact when calculating it, right?).

Finally I hope this would result in a bigger variety of weather scenarios, which in my eyes would reflect real weather better. For example a scenario of a few short showers hitting the track in a 67 minutes race isn't hard to imagine in real life but I highly doubt that a (simple) math system could produce that randomly.

Sorry Daniel, I never mean to underrate your abilities in creating a good math system to make random weather. ;) I hope you get my point. Pleas tell if I'm wrong or thinking too short.

I agree that saying to Daniel, we trust you, do what you think is the best is a great solution. I know from experience that drivers' mind will start speculating in what will come as they did this even when it was told that the weather was based on mathematics. But I know Daniel is a smart guy who will fool those guys who believes they can read his mind ;)

An other point, and I might be alone on this, but I "do not like" too detailed forecasts. knowing that it will rain at the end of the race and then the start of the race is too detailed for me. For the fun event we had I think a sufficient forecast would be; there will most likely be showers during the day, there is a good chance that at least one of these will hit the race event.

EDIT: This is no complaint to Daniel, i know this fun event had a "scientific purpose" and thus the forecast might not be as it would for a real race :)

my opinion is that id like no more than 2-3 races affected by rain, and preferrably places that in real life do get affected by rain during the f1 season, example: i dont want to goto bahrain and it suddenly rains for the first time in 13 years, but if it were to rain at silverstone or sepang then that would be realistic, im all for realism and as much of it as possible.

I can go for a more "free" procedure when deciding the weather. Up untill this point it has been controlled by (too?) simple random numbers, and then I make the weather file according to it. I can do it either way, but I am reluctant to make myself deside everything myself, as that may end up like as scripted as a movie. If I decide for example that the rain will come after 15 or 25 minutes in a 60 min race I decide wheather a one or two stop strategy is better. I don't want to do that, or doing the opposite: making sure that both ends up being pretty equal. That part of it will be down to random. But most/some other things can be made by me deciding.

Randomizing when it will rain during a race is good, but the amount of rain and severity would be better managed manually to reflect real life, like if it rains at Sepang it's never a shower, it's always torrential and it dries quickly. Whereas if it rains at Silverstone it could be light rain for longer, heavy showers, torrential or a mixture of each (ah the British summer), but it would be very slow drying. If something like that could be done it would be amazing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 316 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 158 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%