Season 11 - Various settings

If the majority likes to make changes to ensure more strategy options I'd support the idea of testing tyre wear x2.

During the season I found it a bit unrealistic to drive the fastest laps with low fuel but on tyres wich had been used more than half of the race. This doesn't feel balanced and makes it impossible to go into the pits earlier to avoid traffic and possibly undercut the opponent in front or to put him under pressure.

I asume that tyre wear x2 would still allow to handle the car in the end of the stint when going for a 1-stopper but make it a bigger challenge, which seems logical to me. If that would mean that a 2-stopper would be the safest and most common choice then, we could also (re-)introduce the pit speed limit so the 2-stoppers would pay their safer strategy with a longer pit time then.

I can imagine to have a test race on a wednesday and on one of the last tracks from Season 10 using the same old settings but tyre wear x2. Half of the field should go for a 1-stopper and half of the field should go for a 2-stopper. To ensure that nobody knows about the predefined strategy of his opponents, a third person who doesn't take part could randomly tell the signed up drivers via PM which strategy to go for.

I think you did a small miscalculation about the effect of tirewear x2.
With this setting you would use your tires more with a 2 stopper than you would atm with a 1 stopper. A 3 stopper would be the exact equivalent to the current 1 stopper in terms of tireuse.

But that's exactly the reason why I've suggested the higher tirewear, because the tires aren't getting really used well atm. I miss this aspect from the MMG F1 season where you actually used most of the life of your tires, which was more exciting in my opinion :)

edit: also I'm not for the fuel x0 thing, as the way the car changes its balance over the course of a changing fuel-load is a very exciting aspect of racing in my opinion and I would really miss that.

I think you did a small miscalculation about the effect of tirewear x2.
With this setting you would use your tires more with a 2 stopper than you would atm with a 1 stopper. A 3 stopper would be the exact equivalent to the current 1 stopper in terms of tireuse.

Hm... I know I'm not good in maths but I'm a bit confused now. :O_o:

I thought doubling the tyre wear would mean they would wear twice quicker and therefore bring the 1-stopper more in the danger zone in the end of his long stints, which would make him slower at this time and not drive the best lap times in the end of the stint?

On the other hand the 2-stopper doing shorter stints shouldn't reach this danger zone of his tyres and therefore not be as slow in the end of his stints. This should make the 2-stopper gain some time if you compare avearage lap times. But if it is balanced he should lose this time due to making 2 stops. Am I so wrong? :unsure:

edit: also I'm not for the fuel x0 thing, as the way the car changes its balance over the course of a changing fuel-load is a very exciting aspect of racing in my opinion and I would really miss that.

Even though it sounds charming to have nearly equal conditions all time I agree with Dino. Otherwise you could also make tyre x0 and make everyone drive the same setup.

I got your point Sean about getting closer to F1 rules. But does it help us? ;)

i agree with dino on this and if any changes are made i hope its to make the tyres wear more, the rest of the formula is fine (even tyres are fine for me but if it spices up competition then im all for it).

i like dino miss the tyres of mmg, the choice more than anything, and it always made for great racing coming to the end of a stint if someone was on diffrent tyres to you and you were sliding around trying to defend.

i agree with reiks suggestion of test races to determine the tyre usuage, an idea would be to run an event that we used during season 10, one that was a definate 1 stop for everyone (or most) then up the tyre usgae to x2 and see if it works out compared to season 10.

edit: just saw reiks post.

must admit im as stumped as reik on this, would be good if you could explain it a bit more dino.

way i look at it is that mostly during last season 1 stint would equal about 20% tyre wear, if we doubled it to x2 tyre wear wouldnt that mean 40% worn per stint? and does anyone know when the cliff appears with the slicks? i know by my own stint practise i still have plenty available grip into the 30% worn stage.

Definitely some track from last season should be used. The way i see it and why i promote 2xtire wear is that there's no point of saving tires early in the stint. I didn't do last season but i did enough tests back then that with care, tires could've lasted the whole race (i know, me and Marko were the main promoters behind vehicle class change, i didn't participate and Marko won...But i can assure you that it's a pure co-incidence, we really didn't plan this out... In fact i was a bit surprised how the season went..) .

2xWear can be too high. There are ways of doing this via modding, to get to the exact race length with two different tire compounds etc but for once i suggest of leaving that straight out of the question...

The fuel is definitely 1x. There's no other options and the high fuel load affects lap times much more than what i would've imagined, that part is perfect, imho. But lap times should go down and then back up, going faster lap by lap with fuel load is not very natural.

My suggestion's wasn't really a idea's from me more just other things available to us to play with if we found the need maybe even x2 fuel aswell, going to just our slight longer race and x2 wear fuel 1x may work out best and leave any other tinkering obsolete anyway.
I was all for x2 last season and what I could remember in testing 2x, it would have been slight struggle 1 stopping(which is what we want I think) and easy 2 stopping so possibly giving the options a fighting chance against each.
I think gets more difficult at around 50% mark. After everything though I agree with everyone and just needs some real world testing with a race with as many of us as possible to get a good idea.

So we up for a race say weds week or 2 away with tires 2x fuel 1x ? and our full old race/33 mins or new 70 mins possible length or 35 min stint ? track still undecided but im happy with any.

Dino's point was that in terms of tyre wear, a 3 stop strategy with 2x wear would equal a 1 stop strategy with 1x wear because the stint length is exactly half as long (1stop=2stints, 3 stop=4stints).

Personally I would like to keep 1xfuel, but I think playing around with...
1x wear vs. 2x wear
pit speed limit vs. no pit speed limit.
race length +/- 5 minutes

...it should be possible to acheive a desired balance in strategy.

I guess it would make sense to start out with 2x wear and otherwise same settings as last season, and then figure out further adjustments/test races if needed.

Sounds all good guys! :thumbsup:

I agree with Nico to make a test with tyre wear 2x but leave anything else as it was last season. So we get to know what the effect will be.

Maybe it feels already balanced after this test or we like to adjust race length or pit speed limit afterwards...

As said before I suggest to have half of the test racers on a 1-stopper and half of the field on a 2-stopper. I don't care if we decide each one's strategy open in a sign up thread or if we allocate it in a hidden way.

Yes, like Nico say's, lets test just 2 x tyre wear first so we have some data to think about then maybe try some other changes after

I would suggest a track from last season at 67 mins then we'll have something to compare from the results (race time)

It may be worth splitting us into 3 groups of similar pace (i.e. top 6, midfield, the rest etc) then organising a split of strategy within each group

Jim

Why not Dino. I just thought it would be good to get as much data as possible from both strategies. In other words, if all are curious how tyre wear 2x would work out on a 1-stopper, we wouldn't get the comparison from some on a 2-stopper.

Your suggestion about using Spa(2008?) to have more practice for the start of season 11 is very good. On the other hand we could compare data better if we use a track from last season, when nearly everyone was on a 1-stopper. But I'm fine with any track. ;)

Agree! Like Reik said maybe is better a "old" track to compare with x1 tyre wear and we should also have half of us with 1 stop strategy and the other half with 2 stops...but mixing it at all for example: Marko, Reik, Dino 1 Stop Me, David, Sean 2 Stops and the same to all the others maybe is the best to get some data! And of course trying to get a clean Race =)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%