Season 11 Spa Setup Thread

David Turnbull

PrestoGP Veteran
with little over 2 weeks until the start of season 11 this will help us all get started practising for the season opener, i'll start us off with a hotlap vid and setup, i managed to get on for a few laps the other night and it was great to be back into it again, made a half decent setup and forgot to save so i'll post the setup later tonight, heres my pb so far 2.02.5, still loads of time to come id imagine another second maybe?

We always use the qually sessions on the prestogp servers for comparing with each other. It has 3 advanteges:

- same conditions for all to compare
- best lap times get recorded and displayed at prestogp.com
- you may meet other members to have few sprint races just for fun

Having a few sprint races with one or a few members is a very good, intense lesson to get to know how others behave on a particular track.

A few weeks ago when the race07 club had an F3000 event on Spa, I couldnt find a setup specific for Spa so I used a setup from Reik for istanbul, http://racedepartment.com/forum/threads/season-10-race-1-istanbul-setup-thread.63949/ out of this thread. I really liked it and I still like it better than the setup Reik posted here (probably because im used to it now:p), so I just stuck with it. experimenting with wings now. 10/12 seems alright, awesome straight line speed and great laptimes can be achieved, but its difficult to get a good lap. 15/18 also seems great, a bit more downforce and its easier to nail a lap. At the moment im using 12/16, I like the relatively high rear wing which allows me to floor it with confidence on corner exits. Im still not totally sure though, there are just so many possible wing settings with these cars. I thought maybe some of you might want to try out this setup, since it works very well for me.
My quickest so far is a 2:01.8 in time attack, I think time attack gives a little more grip than qualifying though, so its not really comparable to the times on the server.

Also as you can see im using some clear visor thing, which increases visibility and shows the cockpit, I dont like the helmet blocking the cockpit. Ive been using it for a long time so I dont know exactly where I got it, but I think its http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=7641 (if you try it, backup the original file of course), its the only similar thing that I could find.
Now im wondering if you guys are ok with me using this in the events? You could argue that it gives an advantage but maybe extra visibilty provides better racing if we all use it?

Got ~2:06.500 (2:05.800 combined best section times). How many seconds am i behind? I used ^^ setup, softened quite a bit. Can't take Eau Rouge/Radillion 6th gear (never could), i go with 5th gear limiter screaming.

Noticed that we need radiator 3 setting in this race, my engine temp went red within 2 laps even with radiator2 (default 20air/27track temps)
Aliens go flat 2:02, more common drivers like me go low 2:03 that makes you some 3 sec behind middle pack drivers. About eau rouge, you only need to find the good line to keep almost your foot down, just a little lift for me entering it and im ok, stay in 6th gear. i never had my engine overheating with rad2. hope this will help you!

steeve

Ok, managed to take eau rouge/radillion with sixth gear. Difference for taking it with 5th: 0.1s or less.. :) It's basically just one gear change i lose so it's not at all bad.. I did let go a little with 6th and floor it immediately and the speed is exactly the same plus i don't risk bogging down with 6th if i have to slow down more for some reason (that bumb is nasty..) It wasn't the rear hitting the ground, all thou i suspect that everyone will get sparks there, it is the bumb.. The drivingline has to be very precise.. My 5th gear is tuned to that corner so why change something that works. It's a bit of a mystery why it's so much easier with 5th, it might be in my head. :cautious:

Much more time was lost in the mid part, managed to creep to 2:06es.:D With 75l of fuel..

EDIT: analyzed on slow motion and i need to keep closer to the curb in the right to avoid the "bumb".

Last edited:
Theoretically speaking, as Eau Rouge is steep and one accelerate very slowly (move through rpms much slower than normal), would not the optimal solution be to have those rpm's that produces the most torque? (I might be on a lim with the terminology and spelling :))

That was my original idea, to keep it in high revs but enough to not hit the limiter. The gear changes, while fast, are not instant in F3000 but i gladly take that option since i feel confident. It tells something that only now i could do it consistently enough with both options to compare the time difference. I lose that 0.05-0.1 on the downshift and i gain enough from the better torque/hp on the uphill to negate the upshift. I feel relieved, my thoughts were really if i was safe enough to race because of one bumb..

I analyzed it in slow motion and keeping more close to the right curb, turn just a tad earlier i can keep better on the smoother line. And i'm 100% sure that every single driver will bottom the car there... It's just less of a problem for some.

I've forgotten to say about the last high speed turn before last chicane but i'm sure everyone has found the right line: tight, agressive turn-in, later than what it is in the Spa2004 version. There's a nasty bumb there too... We talked about that in season 9 more so it slipped my mind to warn about it this time.. It was a lot more dangerous with F1, there is no warning with those beasts, it just spun at 320km/h.. F3000 is more forgiving in that place anyway.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 79 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 58 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 38 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.4%