Season 10, Race 2 at Silverstone - General discussion

My SetupEditor for Race07 doesn't take the "type of car file" "Lola BT-2/50.hdc". It works with the MMG F1. I get an error about a null.eng file missing.
Does anyone know how to make it work?

From the site: http://www.racehub.se/setup-editor/

Limitations and Requirements
  • The program only supports third party mods, it cannot read .gcf files and hence it cannot be used to edit the cars that ship with the game.

Umh... Schoolmate asked me if i can do some audio for video inserts in a local semi-amateur theater.. And somehow i'm now the head sound designer there... whatdoyouknow... Three weeks to create all the audio+video material together and somehow construct a coherent piece.. I'm gonna be a busy busy bee. Not the first time.

But unfortunately that means i definitely can't participate this season. We have rehearsals every wednesday. So i would arrive at best 15 minutes before practice, 12-13h workday on my feet doesn't help.

I do that also Sean, but I think it will be much harder when the track is wet :).

Anyway, is there something decided for tire wear? Should we decide it for each track? Maybe it could depend on the weather, for instance :
- 1x when there are rainy/cool conditions
- 2x for hot/summer conditions
I know the temperature is always 20° but we can emulate different track temperatures with tire wear.

Nicolas has got a very good point regarding race specific settings. Monaco might be possible without refueling or tyre change. :unsure: In the past, Nico use to mandate a Pit Stop for that race.

I might be wrong, but I thought we always have pitted at least once, and never just because it was mandatory. This has at least always been my abision, I never wanted a mandatory/forced/unnatural pit stop (but I always wanted at least one natural pit stop).

Then again, you seem to remember better than me Peter, so you are probably correct in that we had to do it different with Monaco.

I think there's a point in changing tyre wear, because that's the case in real world as well. I think the most natural way of affecting this would be through track and air temperatures. Why wouldn't we let temperatures to vary between 15 and 40 degrees Celsius, a bit like in the real world?
If someone makes a mistake with their radiator, their race is over. We cannot have smokers, smokers must quit their race. I am not saying we must keep it like this, but this is the reason why we have done it so far. (always using default temp have eliminated the problem with overheating).

Also, if we are to have something different than default temp on practice servers (they would need to be the same temp as race), we will need a weather.txt file.

If someone makes a mistake with their radiator, their race is over. We cannot have smokers, smokers must quit their race. I am not saying we must keep it like this, but this is the reason why we have done it so far. (always using default temp have eliminated the problem with overheating).

Also, if we are to have something different than default temp on practice servers (they would need to be the same temp as race), we will need a weather.txt file.

So, we do not want to go so far that weather for each session would be quite unpredictable (let's say weather forecasts would be 80% correct)? My personal favorite would be that the weather for each race would be as close to real weather in certain location (dry&hot@Bahrain, cold&rainy@Silverstone) as possible, and that weather forecasts would mostly be correct, but could sometimes go wrong (like in real life). I would also like to brake the rule that practice and race weathers should be the same, as this is not the case in real world either. But I also understand that not everybody like this idea. I also think that, if a driver cannot stop smoking after half a lap or so, he should retire. However, there are effective and easy-to-use means to stop smoking, such as using lower revs for the rest of the race.

Would it be difficult to create let's say five weather files with different combinations of temperatures and wet/dry conditions, and use those in all the servers we use? This would make changing weather a natural part of any Presto session, and I am sure all the drivers would adapt to that pretty soon.

So, we do not want to go so far that weather for each session would be quite unpredictable (let's say weather forecasts would be 80% correct)?
I think what has been argued is that it creates a problem if we are told that there is an 80% chance of a wet race, in particular if this is told us 24 hours before the race. I think it is vital for PrestoGP that only practicing in dry can be considered a good preperation strategy.

If we are told a week, or 24 hours before the race, that there is a 30% chance of wet, there is consequently a 70% chance of dry, and you would not be disadvantaged if you can't make up more time for practice/preperation.

My personal favorite would be that the weather for each race would be as close to real weather in certain location (dry&hot@Bahrain, cold&rainy@Silverstone) as possible, and that weather forecasts would mostly be correct, but could sometimes go wrong (like in real life).
My impression is that this is what we have today. Not the "real time weather" but rather the typical weather for the location and season (simpler for Daniel).

I would also like to brake the rule that practice and race weathers should be the same, as this is not the case in real world either.
I am unsure if you are talking about weather and/or temperatur. So far the temperature have been 20 degrees on everything at all times, while there have been no connection between the weather in the race and the weather on practice servers (as I am the one that open the servers and have no idea what the race-weather will be like beyond the forecast)

However, there are effective and easy-to-use means to stop smoking, such as using lower revs for the rest of the race.
I agree it could be done, but would one do it? Considering/assuming smoking starts early in the race with wrong radiator settings I am afraid that many of our drivers would quit to garage instead of racing almost the whole race with reduced throttle and a constant focus on not smoking for others. In reality however, I believe we would end up agreeing either in the forum or in the chat before the race, on what radiator setting we need, and this way avoid smokers.

Would it be difficult to create let's say five weather files with different combinations of temperatures and wet/dry conditions, and use those in all the servers we use?
The dedicated server is limited to one weather file at the time. In other words, all servers must use same weather file or default weather.

My suggestion: ...is to have only have 1 forecast 1 week before the race. This way one can argue that everything is realistic, as it should be very hard for a forecaster to predict that rain will hit a particular place a particular time one week in the future with a certainty higher than 30-35% (unless we are in Monsoon-land or something :))

Edit: It is also important to consider that the situation is very different in the front of the grid and further back. The front of the grid get quickly up to pace and competitiveness. For those further back, including me, it is more a question of getting enough practice to become competitive. If we make changes that reward more practice we will see the general gap/spread in our league increase.

Can I just say thank you for all your help :) I have been able to be more consistant with the down shifts still not perfect but a lot better and that's without changing any of the mapping thing was just car setup and practice lol. also have been able to take a whole 4 seconds so far off my time which is good. Can't practice tonight but I will try on Friday and over the weekend :)

If we make changes that reward more practice we will see the general gap/spread in our league increase.

I think that's finally the main thing to keep in mind.

I see many good ideas mentioned here, which are likely to improve the racing experience for some of us. But it's a BIG task to keep a good balance between introducing an improvement on the one side but also keeping the amount of required practice low on the other side.

That's why keeping it simple often is the best (only?) solution to make it an enjyoable thing for most (all?) of us.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 298 13.4%