Season 10, Race 1, Istanbull, 6th Feb

i still think we shouldve went with at least 2x tyre wear, now its a guarented 1 stop every race, with 2 stops at least there was an extra chance of a mistake at the pits or a varying strategy but with x1 theres not, someone could even just pit for fuel and use the tyres for a whole race.

i'll go with whatever though seems the majority want easy 1 stops.

I think what we are going for is delaying the decition until after the Istanbul race. The idea was introduced a bit late so there was not enough time to do some good research to predict a good formula to create the races we want.

I done a lot of testing, but need more. However, a pattern have started to emerge, and for me it looks like 10kg of fuel will cost you about 0,2 second a lap.

A 2 stopping car on average will have 32 kg of fuel, while a 1 stopping car will have 47kg. This means that the 2 stopping car will be about 12 seconds quicker throughout the race due to fuel (not counting time spent in pits).

Tyre wear is harder, I have found no real indication, which in itself indicates that the difference between 100% and 90% is very small.

All my numbers are very rough, but it still gives a ballpark idea of what we are talking about.

Assuming they are with low fuel?
Yes, low fuel, closed radiators and possibly more to get the best lap :thumbsup:

I think its a no brainer to use x2 tire wear then they are bridgestones, x1 the are made of unobtainium rubber lol, x3 is just taking it to far and are like pirellis but id still rather race 3x than 1x.
I dont think we should go to even less tire wear than what we have used previously with the f3000 in prestogp.

So far i think with x1 tires would do around 40 to 50 laps of istanbul even before hearing tire warning and then we can usually do a few more laps. Even at x2 the wear rate is still less than what we are used to with mmg.
I think races with 1x would be only about 1st few laps and waiting for pitstop and/or mistakes only way your going to catch someone or even hope to attempt a pass, races may be to processional. Also if we had any changable weather its wouldnt make a difference we would just pit for wets when wet or dry when dry, add fuel to end and even if dried up in a few laps dry to wet race we would just go to end with wets.

With x2 1 and 2 stop stratagys may work, so you could have people racing with 100 litres vs 72 litres or slight variation of loads and also racing through pitstops with 1 vs 2 stops. Even if x2 everyone 2 stopped theres still differences in way you do fuel through the 2 stops and also the added chance of making a better or worse stop than a rival so simply more chance of a envolved race.

It probably does need a little more practise to be sure but this is what ive taken from some practise recently.

I think what Sean sais makes sense, and I would like to add one point:
I think what we'lll see in this race (Istanbul) is everybody stopping once, some for fuel and tyre change, others for only fuel. If tyre change takes 15 seconds you need to be on average 0,75 faster each lap of the second stint to make it worth while.

I say this as a contribution to the post-Istanbul-discussion, not to try to change it for the Istanbul race.

EDIT: I am on my way to do some race practice, and another dilemma hit me; I always practice stints (22 minutes), but now I rather have to practice a long stint (33 min). I can feel that it takes a larger portion of motivation to do that (to the degree that I'll probably stick to the 22 min server, but i'll open a 33 min one for the rest:thumbsup:)

Hello,
I'll post here the graphic of my XD with tyre wear, 15Laps with x2 [i think it's x2 wear, but im not sure]

racesteam20130202115817.jpg

I can say to you, i had a spin 2 times :roflmao: so really hard for me, and i think i cant extend to 20 laps stins to make 1 stop, but...sure would be interesting x2...about x1 i dont know, i have no idea if we can do the race with no stop, and have strategys between 0 and 1 stop, or no... :rolleyes:

You cannot hold enough petrol for a whole race, so you need to stop at least once :)

Here are some more stuff I found:
Time loss when pitting:
-67 liters and no tyre change: 30,5 sec
-92 liters and no tyre change: 36,5 sec
-67 liters and tyre change: 40 sec
-92 liters and tyre change: 46 sec
(it seems if you do not change tyres the pit stop will start with a "please wait" period that lasts maybe 5-6 seconds. If you are changing tyres in addition to fuel there is no "please wait" period, that's why tyre change only take 9,5 seconds even though it seemingly take about 15,)

Combining this info with my previous findings (10kg = 0,2 sec), we get (in theory):
1 stop strategy:
36,5 sec +12 sec for heavier car = 48,5 sec

2 stop strategy:
30,5sec x2 = 61 sec

In other words, according to me a 1 stop is 12,5 sec faster than a 2 stop, disregarding the tyres/assuming no tyre change.

I think the tyre situation is more in the open. It could be that not changing (0 sec), changing once (9,5 sec) or twice (19 sec) can be relatively even. I am guessing not changing is the slowest of the three options.

You can do pretty accurate tyre wear compares in PrestGP Test tracks.. Put "amateur" settings on, mainly Steering Aid, nothing else is needed. Go to one of the circles, pick a suitable size and speed, for ex 1km circle and 150km/h. Then close the game, go to steamapps\Location\PrestoGP\ and locate the 1km.gdb. Edit the line "pitlimiter speed = 150", save and start the game. Go to chosen track, take the MMG. Put medium tires on, top the fuel to what ever the length you want. Go on track, press Steering Aid button and Press Time accelerate and switch pit limiter on (not in that order...).. Then you can go x km with both vehicles in fast forward. Steering Aid makes the car stay on the middle of the track, where the fastline should be mathematically round, at least very close to it. "No fuel" selected, the weight, conditions, steering angle, speed stay the same, that's a lot of variables changed to statics..

So choosing MMG first drive until Mediums give warning. Mark the lap count. Try the same with F3000 on x1 and x2 wear, maybe even x3. Rest is simple.

Remember that we have that kind of test bed, designed to test vehicles/setup. For those that don't know about Race07 road materials, there's a testbed for that too, all 14? materials (i think it's 14) driveable one after other..

Now I know the fuel consumption for 41 laps. For me 184 Litres. :thumbsup:

Mon Dieu and Moses smell the roses Valter, you've made me aware of a mistake I have done in my pit stop time predictions! My calculations are based on a 2 stop needing 67 liters per stint, but that is not correct, it needs bearly 62! (I needed 47 liters for 10 laps in my testing, therefore I testet 10 laps many times with 47 and 67 liters to see the difference in lap times, and 67 got stuck in my head :) )

Anyhoo, my point is that as this still is correct...:
-67 liters and no tyre change: 30,5 sec
-92 liters and no tyre change: 36,5 sec
-67 liters and tyre change: 40 sec
-92 liters and tyre change: 46 sec

.... we only need 62 liters, which means we will spend slightly less than 30,5/36,5 sec in the pit on the 2 stop strategy, and my end calculation should probably be more like 10 seconds (and not 12,5 as predicted in my post above)

Tomorrow is the kick off for the season 10 at the greatest online league on Race07! I wish you all the best of luck and most of all, an incident free race! I for sure will not participate cos i won't be there on time, though i'd wish i could log in and watch this race live...

After a lot of testing with you and some fun races, i made my mind that i'm not ready to enter an event for now. My mistake average is too high compare to the rest of the group. So my plan is as follow:

Practice the more i can on Prestogp servers all season long, and if i feel i'm not a treat for anyone (talking safety) then i may enter a race. My better possiblity is Melbourne as it should be 1 hour later for me :) So i start testing at Melbourne yesterday and made a 1,38,9 my best (which was not bad i think). When time as come i will share my best so far set up to help you on that particular race.

See you sometimes :)

Steeve

You can do pretty accurate tyre wear compares in PrestGP Test tracks.. Put "amateur" settings on, mainly Steering Aid, nothing else is needed. Go to one of the circles, pick a suitable size and speed, for ex 1km circle and 150km/h. Then close the game, go to steamapps\Location\PrestoGP\ and locate the 1km.gdb. Edit the line "pitlimiter speed = 150", save and start the game. Go to chosen track, take the MMG. Put medium tires on, top the fuel to what ever the length you want. Go on track, press Steering Aid button and Press Time accelerate and switch pit limiter on (not in that order...).. Then you can go x km with both vehicles in fast forward. Steering Aid makes the car stay on the middle of the track, where the fastline should be mathematically round, at least very close to it. "No fuel" selected, the weight, conditions, steering angle, speed stay the same, that's a lot of variables changed to statics..

So choosing MMG first drive until Mediums give warning. Mark the lap count. Try the same with F3000 on x1 and x2 wear, maybe even x3. Rest is simple.

Remember that we have that kind of test bed, designed to test vehicles/setup. For those that don't know about Race07 road materials, there's a testbed for that too, all 14? materials (i think it's 14) driveable one after other..
Thanks for the interesting post Kennett. You know your stuff.
I have a question. If I use this setting:
"go to steamapps\Location\PrestoGP\ and locate the 1km.gdb. Edit the line "pitlimiter speed = 150", save and start the game. "
Can I still join the PrestoGP Server for Race 1 Season 10? In that case I will set it to 250.

Any changes to tracks gdb wil make that particular track incompatible. Each track has it's own GDB and thus, their own pit limiter speeds. So changing any of the PrestoGP test track parameters don't affect at all tracks that are used in the races.
Okay, thanks, now I understand more about it. Nicolai could change the value "pitlimiter speed = 25" to 300 on the server on steamapps\Location\Istanbul06\ and publish that so we could set it to the same value. That would be nice. No more fiddling with the pit speed limiter will be necessary :thumbsup:

hi guys, sorry but i dont think that i should race tonight. i thought the car would be easier for me to get use to, but as this is the first time that i have even driven a single seater properly i think i might just make too many mistakes and be consistant and dont want to mess up someones race. i loved racing you guys on the servers and will start practicing as much as i can for silverstone. i am sorry to do this but i thought that i was going to get use to the f3000 quicker than i did. i am getting better each time that i go out on track but i think i am overdriving it but need to work on that.

good luck too everyone tonight i promise that i wont do this again

Richard

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back