WIP Sears Point Raceway (Infineon Raceway) Sonoma

Thanks guys!
I tell ya's, you won't be waiting much longer, this is the first time during this whole project that I feel confidant in saying it will be very soon. Infact, maybe just a dew days, but don't hold me to that you never know what could pop up LOL!

Is anyone interested in helping me out by doing some quick beta testing to make sure there are no major issues before I release this?

Here is a quick flick of the latest addition.

Excellent progress mianiak!

It depends upon how you define "quick". I would be honored to take a serious / analytical look at your track but I will not have time to do so before the upcoming weekend.:frown:

Sooner or later I plan to drive many laps and burn a lot of rubber on your little gem...

Awesome!, thanks, I'm just waiting for the aiw to be tweaked and I will get it all happening for you guys.

There is lots of vertex shading in this, the bottom of the walls, some terrain parts. some buildings and trees. Also when I add more cars and trucks etc, I plan to use vertex colours and have a single white texture as a base.

Quick? nah, it doesn't have to be quick. But I need to get something out so that I can finish other projects I have started. If I stop this and go to the other projects, it could be months before I get back to this. So I have been going at it flat out to get something out for those who have shown keen interest. That's why I plan to release this first version as a beta, then once I get these other projects finished I will come back to this and finalise it. There is really not that much left to be done, there are a few things out of place, as I mentioned before google streetview now has a lap of the track and I have found many things that are missing or in the wrong place. So basically, I would like some people just to test this and make sure there are no major issues, I also haven't been able to test it in multiplayer so that's another thing I would like done.

Depending how simple a fix is, I probably won't edit it for vanity reasons unless something is so out of place that it needs fixing. But don't hold back, anything brought up will be taken note of and looked into for the final version in the future.

There will be 4 initial layouts, Long, NASCAR, INDYCAR and Drift
The drag strip has been set up and can be available, but it wont have an xmas tree yet. I have spoken to RT1971 and am going to use his tree which he is still developing. Seeing as he has been working on drag factor, I prefer to use what he has set up so that there is some sort of standard for the drag racing.

But as for the length of this test, I will play it by ear, depending on the feedback I get.

Cheers!

Well, shoot, can you include me as a Beta tester? I was thinking you needed feedback much quicker than you actually do, but I can certainly give it a thorough test within a workweek of receiving it.

Tried out the NASCAR layout last night. Guys, the screenshots mianiak has posted so far do not adequately convey his artistic endeavor!

In my brief look around, I found two small items and one bigger item to put on the fix list:
1) Take a left turn off to the left of turn 1, following the access road just before the bridge, and you'll find an unwelded seam behind the grandstand.
2) LOD for the floodlights' "dust shine" is too low. Makes it look like they are turning on & off. If the poles had the same LOD, then it wouldn't look as startling (preference, though, would be for "dust shine" to match the poles so nothing is popping in/out).
3) The biggie... the pits area is a framerate bog. It's very evident just sitting in the garage and anytime the pits come into view. I suspect it needs to be broken up into several gmts since the fps drop like a rock when I make that left turn described in item 1. It was like hitting a wall the moment my wheel touched the pavement on the access road. At first, I wanted to blame the jumbotron, but I'm fairly certain it's not the culprit.

please post any feedback or bugs here.
I didn't see that, so I PM'd some, but may as well put them here for others to see:

I've had a brief look, but haven't been able to give it my full attention, but there are a couple of issues:

• Material problem:
"Error loading texture INF_GSTAND_MAIN_BUMP for material CMWL03"

It works fine in DX9 mode.

In 3dSimed, which only shows DX9 material info, the bump map is called INF_GSTAND_BUMP.DDS. I think in 3dsmax you can specify the shader for each level, so perhaps you changed it for L2 but forgot to do it for L1 and L0.

I think it only tells us of the first material error, so there could be more. E.g. I also loaded with DX7 Error loading texture and it said "WATER for material GRVL00".​

• Track preview images
The same 3 TGAs are used for all layouts. It would be a nice touch to have a unique image for each layout.​

-------------

After a drive around in rFactor:
  • I also get the framereate issue around the pits.
  • There's a flickering poly in turn 7:

• Also at turn 7, looking left, there's a gap:

(It was obvious in the drift layout because we're meant to face that way)
  • More generally, I notice a lot of cube maps, but in some cases only when looking closely. I'm not sure how 'expensive' they are, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • The seat polygons on the main grandstand seem to have been duplicated.
  • The pitbox objects are HATtargets. They also cast high detail shadows. Detail's nice but people may not notice. They also have LODs of 10000

Thanks guy's.

Fixed,,
Unwelded seam behind the grandstand
LOD for the floodlights
Material CMWL03
Material GRVL00
Flickering poly in turn 7
Gap at turn 7
Seat polygons on the main grandstand
-----

Cubemaps, They shouldn't be a problem. Although I could remove them from dx8 if it might make things run smoother on lower end systems. Later after you guys have cleaned out the bugs you find, I have organised for a group to stress test the track online, I will see how it goes for them.

Pitboxes, I will remove the hat target, but as for shadow, I cant set up a shadow object because they use the pitbox name, which turns them on per player. So I just put it down to that if its too much for someone they can reduce the shadow's in the game options.

The fps hit at the pits I found is the garages. Its a pretty high detailed object, I have split it into 2 pieces and Emery is checking it out for me. If it is still a problem, I will break up the garages into smaller sections (one section per garage door) then make new lods for them so they will lod out a lot earlier.

I will also get the loading screens done, infact I will do them now. :)

Thanks!

If you want, I could make some loading screens for you. (Thinking a line with the selected circuit with a USA flag inside. And with the facts that stands on most of the tracks.)

And from my pov, I didn't find any bugs. Just that driving through the tires seems a bit wrong. Etc last corner, you can ride the wall.

The garage fix helps some (taking that left turn on the access road, for instance, now has excellent fps), but there's something else dragging down fps. It could be the main grandstand or it could be the cute center attraction. It's really noticeable at a standing start and exiting the garage area and when wandering down the dragstrip back towards the main grandstand. I just couldn't sniff it out adequately; from one angle only, the center attraction without the grandstand in the mirror was not affecting fps, so it's probably the main grandstand area.

I don't think the pit boxes are a problem. Framerates on pit road didn't change whether I had 0 AI active or 20+ AI active.

I've been through all the track layouts now, surprised myself at how quickly this can be done if you have a plan, combed them over pretty well, and this is what I found:
1) Dawn skybox has an INTENSE BLUE skyline that probably wasn't intended.
2) There's a highway barrier floating over T7, just above the lights.
3) The revised NASCAR garage fix has made visible an invisible barrier in T11, third tire stack
4) Maximum 40 garages. The AIW, while it might handle more cars on the grid, does not have the garages to support more than 40.
5) It would be nice to have a visual/auditory clue as to the start of the race for standing starts.
6) AI are prone to going well into the island at T7.

My kudos to whoever created the camera file. Very well thought out. I think I will be able to take my own camera files up a notch as a result. The cleverness is in using camera paths without making it obvious that's what is happening. Good trigger points that don't accidently overlap.

There's a proper left path recorded for the roadrace layouts so rolling starts work without weirdness and the AI can follow it without ramming themselves at the hairpins (and I tested several mods which were likely to do so). The AIW is not too friendly for cars that slide around (e.g. most historic mods pre-1975), but I have yet to find a reliable way to treat that in the AIW. Otherwise, the AIW in all layouts was reliable and properly competitive.

Hi guys, I've been working on the AIW and cameras, so I can answer some stuff on them. The track / AIW was planned for 40 cars, but the grid was created using the auto-generate which explains the larger amount. There would need to be changes to 3D model (extra garages) to accompany more cars properly. I used basic 2 cars / team aproach so there's 20 pit boxes currently. This is for the main 3 layouts of course.

There hasn't been much tweaking on AI speed and behaviour, I've been in middle of redoing process on the whole AIW, I think it's best to make final tweaks after track terrain and grip is finalised. There's one slight possible corridor issue after 11a on the IndyCar, it's off the fast line but might cause some AI issues on tight battles.

The rolling starts have been bit of problem, 1st car can lose it's position as the AI don't properly adhere to the positions before green. There's also possible issue with the long pitlane and full course cautions if they happen in T1/2, the safety car might not have returned to it's pitlane location, and might not come out. As the SC uses 1st pitbox (AFAIK) as it's teleport to AUX locindex=1, I would have to move the 1st pitbox to the start of pitlane, but it'd affect the pitstop of player cars on that case. Also, I haven't found way to have the IndyCar pace lap go through 11, but racing route go through 11a.

The cameras are decent I think (my 1st ones), but they could do some fine tuning. I settled for basic 1 group setup for now, intially I wanted to do a lot more, but I realised it gets bit more complicated then and I would need pretty solid plan to execute it well.

One thing I could ask for some info is the pit speed limit for IndyCar and Full (I would probably use same for both), it's currently at 74 km/h, but I can't really remember if I got that data from somewhere or it was placeholder.

For closing some minor things that should be changed at some point:
Minor AIW corridor issue on IndyCar
Moving pitin earlier for IndyCar & Full
Default race laps / time
Default staring method
Alt grid for pit lane rolling starts
Session start times (anyone got good details?)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%