Screen resolution and FOV question

I just moved from a 1920 x 1080 screen to a 2560 x 1440 one and while keeping the same FOV setting, and the seat up/down and fore/aft settings the same at 0.
I had expected to see more on the screen (eg in cockpit view to see more of the dashboard width and maybe also the drivers side mirror)
However what i see in game is exactly the same as before.
On the windows desktop there is clearly more screen estate and I can run 2 app windows side by side, so the extra resolution can be seen when using general apps
I changed the resolution in the AMS config tool to 2560x1440 32 bit but as i say, the view is the same
Is that to be expected, and thus was my expectation wrong ?....thanks

Well, if you don't change your FoV, the amount of things you see won't change as well. And FoV is a function of physical screen size and the distance between your eyes and the screen. There are more considerations regarding a geometrically correct FoV (some you can see here), but you can assign buttons to increase or decrease the FoV while on track. This way you can set it to show exactly what you want (if you choose to not have the correct FoV).

I just moved from a 1920 x 1080 screen to a 2560 x 1440 one and while keeping the same FOV setting, and the seat up/down and fore/aft settings the same at 0.
I had expected to see more on the screen (eg in cockpit view to see more of the dashboard width and maybe also the drivers side mirror)
However what i see in game is exactly the same as before.
On the windows desktop there is clearly more screen estate and I can run 2 app windows side by side, so the extra resolution can be seen when using general apps
I changed the resolution in the AMS config tool to 2560x1440 32 bit but as i say, the view is the same
Is that to be expected, and thus was my expectation wrong ?....thanks

Your new and old screen have exactly the same ratio (1.777:1). The only difference is higher pixel density for a better quality image. All proportions for all apps and games should remain identical.

It is possible get a bit more horizontal FOV if your screen dimensions are large enough to make it worth while. You could setup a custom screen resolution to get 2560 x 1080 with your video card utilities. This would increase the aspect ratio a bit, with black bars top and bottom of course.

After you setup the custom resolution it should be available in the AMS config tool.

You wouldn't gain much but maybe it would work for you.

Last edited:
Guess I was used to normal windows apps where suddenly there is more 'screen' available
That basically only happens because a lot of Windows apps don't really scale properly to the screen. In an ideal situation, getting a higher resolution monitor would result in everything looking exactly the same as far as the size of fonts, buttons and all that is considered, just with a higher pixel density (so basically with individual pixels being less visible).

But because Windows has always been exceptionally bad at this and only recently there have been some improvements (out of necessity, really), most apps don't work that way and instead map their UI 1:1 to available pixels (so using absolute sizes instead of relative), making their UI appear smaller the higher the resolution of your screen is (because if a button is say 100 pixels wide, then obviously it will appear much larger on a screen 1920 pixels wide than it would on a screen 3840 pixels wide, even if the screens are physically the same size). In very high resolutions, it might even be necessary to manually adjust the pixel per inch setting of your screen to be able to use the app properly.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%