Screen for Z1 dash

Hi guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I've got a question for you guys, I recently purchased the Z1 dashboard software and am running it on my Samsung Galaxy S3 via iDisplay. There is a few issues with this, for one, iDisplay isn't the most stable app out there and often fails to load, the other is due to supported resolutions, the whole screen isn't fully utilised and very often it does not maximise properly as well once I am in a chosen sim.

I am looking for a screen about 5in in size, preferably with touch function. The screen sold by Z1 software looks good but is quite pricey. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am not looking for any other alternative dashes, have tried a couple, find myself gravitating towards Z1 each time due to its functions.

BTW, I am not an iRacing member so please do not link me to its forums ;)

Thank you!

well ... NOT that easy ... at least for me and I would appreciate very much any inputs and/or help!
I got the exact same screen like @Mark_McQ (5.0 inch TFT-Screen Touch for Raspberry Pi HDMI XPT2046) but it is NOT recognized in Windows 8.1 ... just a white blank screen is what I am getting allthough I followed exactly the instructions how to connect it from this link (http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD_(B))!
I connected the HDMI from the screen straight to the main Nvidia GTX 1080 graphics card. fortunately the only entry left is the HDMI input because of my triple-screen setup. for testing I disabled the surround setting to see if the 5" screen is recognized ... but nothing! then to the motherboard graphics card with the same result!?
am I missing something important or might the screen be faulty?

Upvote 0
well I (finally) found out why the display isn't working!
and to all considering getting a similar display to use for Z1 Dashboard:
make sure your graphic-card is capable of displaying the 800x480 pixel resolution!!!
otherwise like in my case ... the display will not be recognized!

Upvote 0
just got it confirmed:
it is not your actual resolution you use, it's the smallest your graphic-card is capable of displaying!
mine ends/starts at 1024x640 and doesn't go below ... therefore the 5" display is NOT recognized with its 800x480 pixel resolution and isn't working!
so watch out guys if you consider getting one of those small displays and check your resolutions if it includes 800x480!

Upvote 0

I'm considering the 7" version. The only thing i'm worried about is that the connectors are on the right side. It might not suite my setup unless it's possible to mount it with the connectors facing to the left and then flip the picture upside down. Is that an option?

EDIT: I guess all i have to do is change the orientation to "landscape (flipped)" in Windows display settings. That should work since it's just another display for the OS :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm considering the 7" version. The only thing i'm worried about is that the connectors are on the right side. It might not suite my setup unless it's possible to mount it with the connectors facing to the left and then flip the picture upside down. Is that an option?

EDIT: I guess all i have to do is change the orientation to "landscape (flipped)" in Windows display settings. That should work since it's just another display for the OS :)

Yes you can flip it 180 degrees from your graphics card drivers too :)

Upvote 0

Go to the link i posted on ebay, and scroll down, you will find the "Anti-Piracy" section, which shows you how an original Waveshare monitor should look like, after that section is a section called "Selection guide" there you can see all their models with their specs and their photos. The newest 7" monitor is model: 7inch HDMI LCD (C) which has a 1024x600 analysis plus touchscreen functionality. then search in the models pictures further down the ebay listing you will see that the 7" has the hdmi and usb plugs on a slightly different location than the 5" monitor on the ebay main listing picture.

Hope i helped you. :)

i also think that the seller on the link i posted is actually Waveshare themselves.

Upvote 0
Thanks @Gregkar13 :thumbsup: I'm in Europe so i just used that link you posted as a reference and was able to find a similar 7" monitor from a reseller over here. Actually i think it's the exact same product - 1024x600 with touchscreen, HDMI and USB. The thing with US resellers for us EU guys is that there's taxes and usually the shipping gets quite expensive too. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I've been spending more time trying to get the touschscreen on mine working in Windows. Eventually found that the 5" I have doesn't support it under Windows unless it has a firmware update (Which involves sending the screen back to them in china).

The one Racewasgood has linked up there with the side mounted connectors is the V2 one, and the Wavehsare site says it does support touschcreen in windows. So if you're going to buy one, regardless of size, and want to use the touschscreen inside Z1, for example, have a look on the Waveshare site first as they have a note on each screens page if it has windows drivers or not.

Upvote 0
anyone know how to get this ebay display to work on a 980ti with tripple screen setup?
I tried different drivers , no luck.
Have the tripples on displayport and if i connect the ebay display (usb first then hdmi) it shows up in nvidia setup , but i can't select it.
The ebay display self works if i unplug a monitor or use it as single screen.

if i plug in a 4th monitor over dvi it works without a problem

Upvote 0
Try going in through the windows display properties instead and use the option to extend the desktop to the small screen. I had a similar issue with mine showing up in the Nvidia UI but I couldn't actually get it to work. Doing that got it working for me.

Upvote 0
Try going in through the windows display properties instead and use the option to extend the desktop to the small screen. I had a similar issue with mine showing up in the Nvidia UI but I couldn't actually get it to work. Doing that got it working for me.

Thanks , it works now!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They can do custom cuts. Because I have a diy buttonbox dash mounted to my wheel, the Thrustmaster one wouldn't fit, so Steve at OSR cut mine with the screen mount on the opposite face, and a shorter leg length so it sits inside my 350mm rim.

Hi mark,
if possible can you post a photo of your lcd screen?
can i connect directly ( 5" LCD (B) 800×480 Resistive Touch Screen For Raspberry Pi BB Black Banana Pi ) in hdmi on my pc or i need other composant i don't understand very well

thanks for your help

Upvote 0
You can connect it directly. Even though it's advertised as a Raspberry Pi screen, it's just a standard HDMI screen, so it will work as a monitor without any other hardware or software. You also need to connect it by USB as it gets its power via that.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 254 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years