Saved! 1000mph Bloodhound Project Back On!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Bloodhound SSC back on.jpg

The Bloodhound SSC land speed record project is back on again following fresh investment.

When we reported back in early December that the mega ambitious 1000 mph Bloodhound SSC land speed record project looked likely to mothballed following a significant shortfall in funds, it appears that the project is now back in full swing once again following the acquisition of all assets by Yorkshire-based entrepreneur Ian Warhurst.

Warhurst, a mechanical engineer and Bloodhound project supporter, has purchased both the business and assets of the project with intentions to continue the British based outfits goal of smashing the current land speed record of 763.035 mph, recorded by the ThrustSSC back in 1997.

"I have been overwhelmed by the level of interest and messages of goodwill following the news that I have bought Bloodhound. Its clear how much this unique British project means to people, all around the world. My family and I have been supporters too for many years and I am delighted to have been able to safeguard the business and assets.

Having built a successful engineering business I also know how hard it can be recruiting people with the right skills, and how important it is to inspire young people about science, technology, engineering and maths. Bloodhound brings these subjects to life in the most exciting way possible and I want to ensure it can continue doing that into the future".

As Warhurst and the team take stock of the current project, it is expected that more plans will be made public early in 2019.

Awesome.

Like what we do here at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Great news. Had a feeling when the first article about it's demise came out that someone would step in and save the project. These kind of projects and speed records have always been cool.:thumbsup:

TheReaper GT

Learning stuff, eating cookies. :D
I'd like to see some material about any innovation this endeavor brings to to the industry... I'm really curious about it... Materials , processes, both?

Jan Larsen

Premium
Yep, design and aero. If the aero is screwed at 1000mph its gonna nuclear itself. Hopefully something can be learned and transformed into other, more useful everyday things like road cars.

I'd like to see some material about any innovation this endeavor brings to to the industry... I'm really curious about it... Materials , processes, both?
Hitting 1000mph on wheels without taking off or self-destructing will require various innovations to achieve I expect. How useful those innovations are in a practical, every-day sense is unclear. However, I think one of the biggest benefits of this particular project is the inspiration it gives people, especially youngsters, to get into engineering themselves. The more engineers we have, the more likely innovations that benefit us all will happen, either directly or indirectly as a result of projects like this. :thumbsup:

I mean yeah its cool and all that, why not just hit the strip with a SR71 and smash the record,
basically there just strapping jets to wheels, I see zero excitement from it,
be like yeah this is cool for what a few seconds and never think about it again,
personally I think its cheating, on or off cancelled makes not much difference here for me. :)

RMR1

@Simberia
Unnecessary and quite ridiculous!
What’s to gain from it?
Who’s the poor victim to risk his life for these shenanigans?

Steve Bird

Come On Williams!
Premium
Being a jet propulsion engineer I tend to like this, especially when the company I work for provided the engine that powers it. If you ever saw the thing in real life and heard the noise you would appreciate that it's an amazing feat of Engineering.

Long live Bloodhound and the EJ200 :)

RMR1

@Simberia
Being a jet propulsion engineer I tend to like this, especially when the company I work for provided the engine that powers it. If you ever saw the thing in real life and heard the noise you would appreciate that it's an amazing feat of Engineering.

Long live Bloodhound and the EJ200 :)
Go test this mindless thing yourself!

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000