• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Saved! 1000mph Bloodhound Project Back On!

Discussion in 'Car Culture' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +23,821
    Bloodhound SSC back on.jpg
    The Bloodhound SSC land speed record project is back on again following fresh investment.

When we reported back in early December that the mega ambitious 1000 mph Bloodhound SSC land speed record project looked likely to mothballed following a significant shortfall in funds, it appears that the project is now back in full swing once again following the acquisition of all assets by Yorkshire-based entrepreneur Ian Warhurst.

Warhurst, a mechanical engineer and Bloodhound project supporter, has purchased both the business and assets of the project with intentions to continue the British based outfits goal of smashing the current land speed record of 763.035 mph, recorded by the ThrustSSC back in 1997.

"I have been overwhelmed by the level of interest and messages of goodwill following the news that I have bought Bloodhound. Its clear how much this unique British project means to people, all around the world. My family and I have been supporters too for many years and I am delighted to have been able to safeguard the business and assets.

Having built a successful engineering business I also know how hard it can be recruiting people with the right skills, and how important it is to inspire young people about science, technology, engineering and maths. Bloodhound brings these subjects to life in the most exciting way possible and I want to ensure it can continue doing that into the future".

As Warhurst and the team take stock of the current project, it is expected that more plans will be made public early in 2019.

Awesome.

Like what we do here at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 6
  2. DeltaDart0276

DeltaDart0276

Ratings:
    +9
    Awesome to see the project back on!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. E304LIFE

E304LIFE
    Premium

Ratings:
    +95
    Great news. Had a feeling when the first article about it's demise came out that someone would step in and save the project. These kind of projects and speed records have always been cool.:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. KOGamer

KOGamer

Ratings:
    +17
    If they have any cash left over they should put wings on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT
    Learning stuff, eating cookies. :D

Ratings:
    +276
    I'd like to see some material about any innovation this endeavor brings to to the industry... I'm really curious about it... Materials , processes, both?

6. dale223223

dale223223

Ratings:
    +15
    Design overall.

7. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +207
    Yep, design and aero. If the aero is screwed at 1000mph its gonna nuclear itself. Hopefully something can be learned and transformed into other, more useful everyday things like road cars.

8. RobertGracie

RobertGracie

Ratings:
    +65
    This is the most epic save of the year so far!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    Spiritseer Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,075
    Hitting 1000mph on wheels without taking off or self-destructing will require various innovations to achieve I expect. How useful those innovations are in a practical, every-day sense is unclear. However, I think one of the biggest benefits of this particular project is the inspiration it gives people, especially youngsters, to get into engineering themselves. The more engineers we have, the more likely innovations that benefit us all will happen, either directly or indirectly as a result of projects like this. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. CC

CC
    Premium

Ratings:
    +7,319
    I mean yeah its cool and all that, why not just hit the strip with a SR71 and smash the record,
    basically there just strapping jets to wheels, I see zero excitement from it,
    be like yeah this is cool for what a few seconds and never think about it again,
    personally I think its cheating, on or off cancelled makes not much difference here for me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. RMR1

RMR1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +210
    Unnecessary and quite ridiculous!
    What’s to gain from it?
    Who’s the poor victim to risk his life for these shenanigans?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steve Bird

Steve Bird
    Come On Williams! Premium

Ratings:
    +269
    Being a jet propulsion engineer I tend to like this, especially when the company I work for provided the engine that powers it. If you ever saw the thing in real life and heard the noise you would appreciate that it's an amazing feat of Engineering.

Long live Bloodhound and the EJ200 :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. RMR1

RMR1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +210
    Go test this mindless thing yourself!

14. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +490
    They should make a sim to create interest, Bloodhound and Bonneville is all you need

15. chili pepper

chili pepper

Ratings:
    +240
    Only Wing Commander Andy Green OBE...not someone I'd consider a "poor victim", guy's got some mad skills and a rather impressive resume.

16. chili pepper

chili pepper

Ratings:
    +240
    Chris Harris did a video covering some of the details first-hand, have a look...pretty interesting stuff IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    • Beer Beer x 1
  17. wombat999

wombat999

Ratings:
    +344
    Still irrelevant if the wheels are not driving it.
    And of course Andy Green is very brave...........and a tad mad!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.