Saturday GT club races Nordschleife

This Saturday we had the biggest grid I can remember in rFactor2 here at RaceDepartment.com and the feedback was really positive and I think most of the drivers really enjoyed themselfs.

To keep the momentum up the idea is to build a small series of club races (no leauge) around this combination, that worked so well ISI BOP cars + Touring cars on the 24h Nordschleife. The first race should still happen in February a fitting sime slot is available.

The races would be held on Saturday (every two weeks if possible) as it seems to be the best time slot in terms of participation numbers and it allows drivers from all timezones to take part. Like every series the success is based on the level of interest of the participants, so it would be great to get a feedback from you on the following topics:

Tracks:
There are race series only based around the Nordschleife, which is a great track, but variety is always nice. As certain good tracks haven't got as much love as they should we came up with a nice mix of small and big tracks. The amount of drivers possible per track aren't verified yet and we are always open for ideas regarding tracks and there are always enough well proven tracks to fallback (Silverstone etc.)
  • 24 Nordschleife
  • RaceRfactor Spielberg Austria (Red Bull Ring)
  • Sao Paulo (Interlagos)
  • Pukekohe
  • Barbagallo
Race length:
2 hours like on Saturday are a pretty long distance for single drivers. So the question is would you like to see 1 hour races maybe with one or two 2 hour special events on the Nordschleife or a full out 2 hour race every two weeks? Please give a vote regardings this in the poll and feel free to discuss it as well.

Schedule example:
As stated above tracks choice is still open this only should give you an idea how it would be set up around the Nordschleife:
  • Nordschleife
  • Spielberg
  • Pukekohe
  • Nordschleife
  • Interlagos
  • Barbagallo
  • Nordschleife
This way we always would start with the Nordschleife, followed by a bigger track and a smaller track, which should keep things exciting. What do you think about this layout? To much Nordschleife or a good mix?

Cars:
Like in the race on Saturday the ISI BOP cars with a more refined BOP would be used. The main question is should we keep the Touring cars as well, which in the form of the Honda had a solid fan base? Mixed class racing could be though on smaller tracks, so a compromise would be to open the doors for multi-class only on the Nordschleife or do you want to take on the challange driving mixed classes even on smaller tracks?

Join the conversation and vote:
Feel free to discuss all the topics and all the things I have forgotten to write down ;)

Today was the first I've heard of this spectacular race you held yesterday.
I'm bummed that I missed out!

I dusted off RF2 again last week, so I'll definitely be joining you guys for some racing in upcoming events.

Personally, I could race Nordschleife every round, but I'd wager that participation would drop off after the first month and eventually fizzle out.

I think also to much of a good thing will become a bad thing.Nordschleife once every couple of months is often enough in my opinion,that way it stays more special and interest stays high when there is a Nords race.

Also it don't always have to be two hours.Some races could be like a 1.4 so a second pitstop is needed.And don't forget about mountian forest.It would be a blast with a multiclass race.:)

I like the idea and if people show up like they did on the last race it would be a blast.

A race series that comes back to the Nordschleife every few weeks is ok for me. It's a track that needs a good number of sign ups to make the race interesting so i hope people don't get tired of it.:p
Mixing it up with more unknown tracks is always welcome. Before the event at Salem Valley i didn't even knew that track and i liked racing on it. I like diversity and although there are some people that prefer to stick to more familiar tracks a schedule that has both and then the Nordschleife looks pretty good to me and shouldn't discourage anyone to join in on the fun.

The cars is another category that really depends on the attendance. I really like the mix that some events have with the Civic or the Megane or other touring cars, but being the only one with a slower car although fun can be a little lonely. The reason i chose the Civic (other than i like the car) for that event was because it was more forgiving and with two hours in the Ring i didn't want to risk spending a good amount of time struggling to stay on the track with the big powerful cars.:D To me is always good to have that choice when i'm not comfortable with the GT cars but i understand that people might want to choose the faster cars and battle for the upper positions.

Race length i prefer 2 hours or at least 1.5 hours. That way tire management and pit strategy has more relevance to the race results. I wouldn't say no to 1 hour races but a little longer is better for me.

In the end the biggest obstacle is if people loose interest and the number of drivers starts to get lower. I really like if we could keep those big grids but we all know whats tends to happen. This event showed that we can have great fun with a big grid and a low number of incidents.

I think also to much of a good thing will become a bad thing.Nordschleife once every couple of months is often enough in my opinion,that way it stays more special and interest stays high when there is a Nords race.

Also it don't always have to be two hours.Some races could be like a 1.4 so a second pitstop is needed.And don't forget about mountian forest.It would be a blast with a multiclass race.:)
I have to agree with matt regarding the too much of a good thing. I think only running Nords twice would be enough. Seeing as we have already ran there i would save it for the final race. A big finale at the Nords would be special and would get a good number of people turn up.

Also with the length of the races a 2hr race at a long track is not so bad but 2hrs at a shorter track is not always as enjoyable. (my opinion). Mixing the race lengths up would also change the strategy options from race to race making it that bit more interesting. But in saying that having a consistent race length can be good.

Awesome idea!

Tracks are all good for me, pretty new also :)

In global a 2 hours race is good, not to long for me only. Maybe you can choose something in the middle like 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Please leave the touringscars in! I had a lot of fun with the Civic on the Ring, especially when you can beat the faster cars! :cool: Maybe you can find another touringcar who can match with the Civic :)

I´m with Matt and James, Nords as, for example, the opener and as the grand final should be enought imo. Keep this mixed cars as there may be more signups?! Race lenght doesn`t really matter to me, everthing longer than an hour is fine...

Nice idea btw :thumbsup:

Nice initiative.
I would support a 2 hour race length on long tracks and 1 hr 30 mins on the rest.

Track wise;
There is always lots to choose from but a 2 hour at Le Sarthe (Le Mans) might be a nice inclusion too. Especially if the cars have been matched at high speed long circuits.
Shame the ORSM guys are so stubborn about Bathurst in RF2. It would be worthy of inclusion.
The Race R Factor Spielberg is bugged. There is a big invisible lump in S2 that stops you nearly completely. We did a 1 hr race in the BES 911 and it was very problematic.

Nordschleife: The current proposed schedule takes us there 3 times in 12 weeks. I see the point of those who dont want 3 on the ring but personally I think it creates enough motivation to learn it well. Its epic and a visit once a month over 3 months we all get to play there more.
After the last one I was left thinking "when again, soon I hope"

Thanks

Nice initiative.
I would support a 2 hour race length on long tracks and 1 hr 30 mins on the rest.

Track wise;
There is always lots to choose from but a 2 hour at Le Sarthe (Le Mans) might be a nice inclusion too. Especially if the cars have been matched at high speed long circuits.
Shame the ORSM guys are so stubborn about Bathurst in RF2. It would be worthy of inclusion.
The Race R Factor Spielberg is bugged. There is a big invisible lump in S2 that stops you nearly completely. We did a 1 hr race in the BES 911 and it was very problematic.

Nordschleife: The current proposed schedule takes us there 3 times in 12 weeks. I see the point of those who dont want 3 on the ring but personally I think it creates enough motivation to learn it well. Its epic and a visit once a month over 3 months we all get to play there more.
After the last one I was left thinking "when again, soon I hope"

Thanks
Yes, Bathurst would be perfect for it, but we cant use it :(
Could you send me a screenshot where the invisible wall is located in Spielberg? I only did a few laps and had no problems. Sometimes these issues are car dependant. The track itself was really fun and could provide some good racing, so I would like to check it out e.g. with the WSGT Megane you have an invisible wall in Silverstone, which you never hit with any other car.

Actually that lump is exaggerated by the bes911 being bugged itself. You can drive that track in many other cars without issue. (Tested with a few of the isi cars) . The BMW touring car if it were to be included maybe be an issue at that track.

Yes, Bathurst would be perfect for it, but we cant use it :(
Could you send me a screenshot where the invisible wall is located in Spielberg? I only did a few laps and had no problems. Sometimes these issues are car dependant. The track itself was really fun and could provide some good racing, so I would like to check it out e.g. with the WSGT Megane you have an invisible wall in Silverstone, which you never hit with any other car.
Freddy its exit of Turn 6 (which is the second of the 2 left hand turns in S2) just as you upshift
In the BES 911 GT3 a very tight exit was the safest, running wide was bad.

Well, Nords once a month -even twice ;)- it's ok for me. And 2 hours lenght there makes the race more interesting. Maybe 1.5 hours in a shorter track it's a good compromise.

Just one idea: why not one race with touring cars or similar with stock setup? This would make very closed battles. No setup advantages, just good driving.

I think 2h every saturday is a bit much, every other week would be better. I'm a big fan of the ISI GT's and would rather race them instead of the BOP cars, or BES or URD. I saw Apex are BOPing the Camaro in to their mod, so their cars can race in GT3 , and GTR, Corvette and 370Z in the others. Variation in car choices between weeks are good too.

I think Nords should be run consistently, maybe every six weeks or so IMHO. Also, rolling starts should be used.

I think 2h every saturday is a bit much, every other week would be better. I'm a big fan of the ISI GT's and would rather race them instead of the BOP cars, or BES or URD. I saw Apex are BOPing the Camaro in to their mod, so their cars can race in GT3 , and GTR, Corvette and 370Z in the others. Variation in car choices between weeks are good too.

I think Nords should be run consistently, maybe every six weeks or so IMHO. Also, rolling starts should be used.
In the next release the Corvette performance will be back to 100% ISI spec ;) The camaro is still close to the original. The only real diffrence is on the GT-R.
I am interested to see with what Apex Modding comes up with. Currently the SLS seems to be just a bit to slow to include it as the GT-R was already a bit awful to drive in the race, but it is already a lot better with the current tests I did.

Was this the race mentioned by @rfactor2 on twitter? if so good job, certainly looked like a fun time. I really must pull my racing socks up and get involved more before it's too late!

My preference is running 2 hour races at every circuit, though every 2 weeks is probably a more sensible approach. The race length is one of the challenges that makes this fun.

It'd probably be worth choosing tracks by a minimum length too. Lets say... 4km, 1:30 or something like that. Things get dangerous when you squish classes together too much, and on a circuit like Barbagallo which is under 2km long, and will probably be under 60 second lap times for the GTs... Well, it won't be long before we've got a huge mismatch of speed thundering past each other. :p

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 378 39.6%