• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Sat May 23nd (Friday 22st US) - STCC @ Birmingham Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Barrick

3000RPM
Feb 19, 2008
Willie has a stunt double running 2 cars :)

See you guys tonite when I finally get a chance to practice I will be on the server.

Keith

Gary Lennon

3000RPM
Feb 19, 2008
Highly enjoyable couple of races for me with the US STCC crowd,loads of new names and some old familiars,i dont think ive ever seen a dull race at the brilliant track,well done all :good:.

Many Thanks Eric and RD

Ryan Callan

500RPM
Sep 30, 2008
First race I had a terrific race long battle with Marty, great clean stuff and hectic. Got past him at the last corner after Paul got in his way while being lapped but let him through to finish ahead of me - didn't feel right beating him like that.

Second race was more incident packed. Hit Brandon at Turn 1, sorry dude, but I checked on the replay and it was as I thought, you slammed on the brakes far too hard, gave me no chance. Apologies to R Isles, I hit him at the first chicane - the bump there meant there was nothing I could do but hit your rear three-quarter as you went wide. Powerless but I took the rap and waited. From there I tried to claw my way back, thought I'd knocked off Rhys but I hadn't and waited for no reason haha. Then I tapped Paul. Twice. In the same corner. Two laps in a row. Sorry again, just didn't expect you to get loose on the exit of that corner, was very strange.

J

Jason Halaby

R1 - I qualified P9 but it might as well have been Last. I spun out in the traffic at T1 but slowly clawed my way back up the ranks. I spent most of the race hanging onto Phillip's tail, but never quite caught him. Finished P9 which is where I started :)

R2 - I again had an offing in the L1 traffic and I never got my groove back. I watched Bob struggling with his RWD BMW for a while - I admire his determination! On L16 I was starting to get lapped by the leaders. I safely let Gary by, but on L17 when I tried to give way to Marty (P2) and Keith (P3) I lost control and hit some tires. Spinning back onto the track directly into Marty's raceline, knocking him back to P3. --Marty, I'm very sorry for that, I was intending to get out of your way. Anyway, my car was broken, end of race for me.

Marty Pierce

500RPM
Aug 22, 2008
R1 - I qualified P9 but it might as well have been Last. I spun out in the traffic at T1 but slowly clawed my way back up the ranks. I spent most of the race hanging onto Phillip's tail, but never quite caught him. Finished P9 which is where I started :)

R2 - I again had an offing in the L1 traffic and I never got my groove back. I watched Bob struggling with his RWD BMW for a while - I admire his determination! On L16 I was starting to get lapped by the leaders. I safely let Gary by, but on L17 when I tried to give way to Marty (P2) and Keith (P3) I lost control and hit some tires. Spinning back onto the track directly into Marty's raceline, knocking him back to P3. --Marty, I'm very sorry for that, I was intending to get out of your way. Anyway, my car was broken, end of race for me.
No problem Jason You had good intensions. Keith had been closing on me for a couple of laps and it was a good possibility I would have lost the position anyway.

Marty Pierce

500RPM
Aug 22, 2008
Really enjoyed the racing tonight.

I was using the bump shift for the first time because the paddles on my G25 are shifting on their own at times. Im surprised I didn't blow the motor with the multiple times I shifted down instead of up and I'm sure Ryan was wondering what the hell I was doing or If I was brake checking him.

Anyway Quali went good enough for 6th I think with no miss Q's on shifting.

Race 1
Made a good start and then got by the crash in the last turns of lap 1 to come out 3rd with Ryan in my rear view. Ryan closed the gap and it was on for 3rd. We had a terrific battle most of the race. A little bumping and pushing but clean and fair. On the last lap I came up on a lapped driver and got out of shape and Ryan closed back up on me then passed me in the last turn. It was fair move but Ryan let me back by for 3rd not wanting to take advantage of my mishap. Class move Mr. Callan thank you.

Race 2
Great start into 2nd behind Rhys and we managed a decent gap to 3rd over the first couple of laps. Then Rhys chased his tail into the zig and zag turn handing me 1st. I held onto 1st with Gary closing up from behind. Gary closed right up behind on lap 8 then took his pit. I stayed out 1 more lap then pitted. As I was exiting I came out just behind Gary. Chased close behind Gary for several laps then he pulled a gap. I saw Keith closing and on lap 17 Keith was right behind when Jason got a little out of shape trying to allow us through I hit him when he spun back on the track. Keith got by and I weathered it home with suspension damage and Phillip closing fast. Fun stuff I think I like the bump shift. Love Friday night racing.

Marty Pierce

500RPM
Aug 22, 2008
Ok guys 4 race reports from 12 signed up whats up. I embarrassed how bad I write but still try to do a report after each race good or bad. We have a great thing going with the Friday night races and the reports add to the success.

Keith Barrick

3000RPM
Feb 19, 2008
After I eat dinner I will be watching my replays and getting my report on :)

Check back within the hour.

Philip Antonia

2000RPM
Jul 19, 2008
Ok guys 4 race reports from 12 signed up whats up. I embarrassed how bad I write but still try to do a report after each race good or bad. We have a great thing going with the Friday night races and the reports add to the success.
Don't worry mate, some of us are just a little slow at getting them done.:)

I'm far too tired after a busy day with the kids, but I will get my Friday race reports for Mini's and this done soon:wink2:.

Keith Barrick

3000RPM
Feb 19, 2008
Managed to get myself running at a decent pace with the C30. I tried the Audi and it was just too heavy for the hilly track.

Quali: Nailed a PB and was able to get the early lead, and settled for 2nd when Gary nailed his lap.

Race #1: Got a wicked start, nailing the lights, and got out front. (it seemed 2nd place started ahead of 1st place but was on the outside and thankfully for T1 it was wide enough to hold) I Got out front with Gay applying alot of pressure. I was trying to not make mistakes when around lap 7 gary made a mistake and gave me a nice lead. Pitted lap 10 and did it perfect and ran to the 2nd last lap with 10 sec lead. I then managed to spin on my own but luckily only lost 5 seconds and held it together to get the win.

Race 2: Started 8th, and was being super cautious at the start. Avoided the early wrecks and began trying to pick up positions. I was In 4th I believe going by Philip antonio, and everytime I managed to get by him I would spin or run really wide. I then pitted early on lap 7 and after the cycle I was in 3rd behind Marty. We were pretty evenly matched, but as I would catch up I would make a mistake. Then with 5 laps left, I was 5 secs back and pushed HARRRRRD. Starting the last lap I got to .4 of marty and as we approached Jason to lap him he went wide and got around and came across the track. I saw this all in slow motion it seemed, and anticipated the movement. Jason came across into marty and I JUSTTTT missed him inside. This got me into 2nd and where I needed to be to tie for the overall win.

Grats to gary for race #2. And good race to all. Thanks again for the fun.

Thanks RD for hosting and Eric for organizing.

See you next friday.

Keith

Philip Antonia

2000RPM
Jul 19, 2008
Time for my reports.

Came into this meeting pretty pumped after my exciting battles in the Mini's that evening:).

So this was my 2nd visit to Birmingham in one night after never driving here b4. This the shorter track, but hoping to do well regardless. Chose my Pug 308, but soon got a shock:excruciating:. The car handled dreadfully around here and I was considering dumping it. Decided to try and work it out, but right through practice it didn't feel to promising. Though I did get it feeling a little more stable b4 qualifying started.

Qual: 12th. Aargh terrible lap trying too hard:dont-know:.

Race 1: 5th. What on earth!!! All of a sudden I found that my pace wasn't too bad once in the race. Everyone else seemed to be going slower than in praccy and Qual where as I wasn't doing bad at all. Didn't drive a perfect race, but after the pitstops I was surprised to be running so high and though I had some attention from behind I managed to keep the car where I wanted it and brought her home.:)

Race 2: 4th. Good start from p3 and kept out of trouble in T1. Tried to keep with the front guys and I didn't drop of much at all. Keith soon ended up catching me, but I've managed to deal better with someone challenging my position recently and decided I wouldn't let him by easily. He eventually pitted and I knew he was going to pump some good laps in, but I decided to stick with my usual late stop and see where it left me. Stayed out longer than the front guys and came in on lap 12 whilst leading. As I left the pits Keith had just gone by and I was down to 4th. Kept pushing on keeping in touch with the top3 waiting in hope of a incident between them. It eventually came when Marty had a run in and he was not far ahead. I gathered he must of had some damage as I was now closing quite quickly, but I didn't have enough laps to have a go for 3rd.

So an eventful and somewhat confusing event. My pace seemed so distant in practice, but not so bad in the races. I also feel I'm starting to improve my ability to fight with others without giving places up too easily which is very pleasing for me. After a gr8 meeting at Interlagos in the Camero's, Wednesday night at Mid America in the WTCC and then Fridays Mini's and this event I'm getting my confidence up and feeling more assured racing with you guys at RD. Top 5 results in all but one of those races and some good finishes the week b4 in F3000's and S2000's I'm really enjoying my time here at RD now and feeling relaxed on track. A definate sign of improvement:wink2:.

Rhys Gardiner

5000RPM
Jul 8, 2008
Qualifying: 3rd, behind the Volvos of Keith and Gary. Wow, I had mountains of pace that morning. :D

Race 1: Started well, and was doing pretty good until the final few turns of Lap 1, where I accidentally tapped Yves and while waiting for him was smashed and demoted to I think 11th. I managed to gradually battle up through the ranks though (quite fun, too - Robert and I were side-by-side through turn 2 at one point). All the while I was under pressure from various other racers, among them Eric and Ryan. Brandon and I had an epic last-lap battle, with me finishing 7th, less than 0.5 seconds behind him. It was good enough for a P2 start for Race 2.

Race 2: I won the drag race down to T1, spending the first lap in the lead. However, I lost the tail down at the left-right flick on Lap 2, allowing Marty and various others to pass. I spent most of the race trying to chase positions down, and having great fights with many people. Brandon and I again went fist-for-fist on the final lap, and another super-close finish, he in 5th, me in 6th. That was enough for me to get equal 6th for the event overall.

Tons of fun, as can be expected from these events. See you all next time at Limerock... :D

Willie Watt

1000RPM
Feb 10, 2009
Sry for the late report. On the basis that I went to bed straight after crashing out on race 2 and being offline for the weekend (and work today).

Practice: As the wife came in late, I only got a few laps practice in a new car. Philip I share your pain on the handling of the 308 which was ultimately my downfall. Managed to get the lap time down to 1:02. Only 4 Secs behind the fastest time.

Quali: Pleased as it's the first time i didn't screw the hot lap. Unfortunately the time was only good enough for 13th one above bob.

Race 1: poor start but I knew that i was quick) for me through turns 1-4 so made up a couple of places. Turn 4-5 the left right flick were rear end light in the 308 so I needed to take care. Managed not to spin it and worked my way through the pack who didn't. Finished around 8th I think after that. However my delight was short lived as I came around the last but 1 turn and encountered Eric rejoining after some carnage. Lost front Aero completely back to 13th. Managed a few more laps then on the last turn the front end pushed wide and crunch DNR and retire.

Race 2 Better start from Last pp;ace on the grid. through the carnage at turn 1 and running side by side with Jason in T2 and pulled away in turn 3. Careful again through 4-5 and avoided Yves rejoining. Clear track for the rest of my soon to be shortened race. Lap 6 round the last turn which is normally very stable. Back end pops out and I Finnish in the Pit wall Another DNR. Watched a bit, got a mini dump, went to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow RaceDepartment