Sandtraps

Sandtraps and animated textures

Hello

I have a question about sand traps. How to make it more deep? It is possible by using Bobs Track Builder? When I use sand texture, sand traps are smooth and flat.

You could try making two surfaces, one above the other, separated by a few centimeters. Set the properties of the bottom surface as "collision" and "driveable". Set the properties of the top surface as "no collision" and "not driveable". Cars would drive through the top surface and ride on the bottom one.

Overall, for game play, sandtraps are problematic as a realistically deep/sticky sandtrap means "game over" since I don't know of a way to force a full course caution and return the stuck car to the pits. And non-sticky sandtraps are just visual effects. Now that is an improvement we need for rFactor2!

Hello

I have a question about sand traps. How to make it more deep? It is possible by using Bobs Track Builder? When I use sand texture, sand traps are smooth and flat.

I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that you can assign different surface types to the textures. Standard tarmac is 'roada', which is nice and smooth, bumpy terrain is 'rdax' and very bumpy terrain is 'rdta'. This won't make your car sink into the gravel, but it will make it bounce around and you will lose time. This way you won't have to retire from the race, but you'll want to avoid those gravel traps!

As for using two textures together, make sure there is enough separation between them or otherwise you will get flickering.

I did something similar to this to the gravel on Nikko, It's real easy and is in the tdf file. But you need to edit it manually with notepad. Be aware though, each time you export the track from BTB it will overwrite the file if you have it set to clear folder, so make sure to back up any editing you have done to it.

What you are after is the Sink value.

Have a look at the comparison of these two entries in the tdf file, one is normal hard gravel (grvl) the other is a deep loose gravel trap (gtrp). I have set bold the values of interest.
----------------------------------------------------------
Here is the original grvl (gravel)
// Gravel
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=5000.00 BumpAmp=0.022 BumpWavelen=10.0 Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=0.8 Sparks=0 Scraping=0 Sink=0.017 Sound=gravel
Reaction=dust Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
//Reaction=dirt Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(0.5,0.5,0.5) Growth=(0.8,0.8,0.8) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=softskid Tex=skidbrown.tga Max=1024 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=grvl
------------------------------------------------
Here is the original gtrp (Gravel Trap)
// Gravel Trap
[FEEDBACK]
Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=50000.00 BumpAmp=0.070 BumpWavelen=3 Legal=false Spring=0.0 Damper=0.0 CollFrict=2 Sparks=0 Sink=0.02 Sound=gravel
Reaction=dust Tex=Dustroad.tga Max=128 Scale=(1.0,1.0,1.0) Growth=(4.0,3.0,2.0) ASDEnvelope=(2.0,0.2,3.5) DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Reaction=softskid Tex=skidbrown.tga Max=1024 Pixel=NoReduceDetail Particle=Plane+Deformable+SingleSided DestBlend=InvSrcAlpha SrcBlend=SrcAlpha
Materials=gtrp
--------------------------------------------

What concerns how a gravel or sand trap works is Resistance, BumpAmp, BumpWavelen, CollFrict and Sink.

If you want more resistance, increase the Resistance value (how hard it is to push through the gravel/sand)
If you want big bumps, increase the BumpAmp value (bump amplitude is the height of the bumps) Decrease for smaller bumps.
If you want longer bumps, increase the BumpWavelen value (the length of the bumps) Decrease for shorter bumps.
If you want it to slow you down faster, increase CollFrict (collide friction, I'm not 100% sure what this does but going by it's name, I think it is how fast it slows you when you are moving)
If you want it deeper, increase the Sink value (how deep the car sinks into the gravel).

I was thinking about two surfaces. Thanks a lot guys. I will try to do something.

I have two questions:
1)In 3dsimed I open track with "Import Model". Searching .scn file. After changes I want to save my track to .scn back, but there is no option with just "Save". Any options?

2)How to do animated banners or tvscreens? Is will be ok, if I use simple .gif file and replace it at wall?

1) In 3DSimEd, the command is "Export" and you choose which game format you want.
2) I think there's a bit more to it... haven't yet tried animations myself, but recall something about specifying the order of frames and duration of each frame and an upper limit to how many frames of animation there are.

Animations is something that gave me a headache a few weeks back, but i`ve mastered it now.

If your making a 10 frame animation, you need;

texture.dds
texture00.dds
texture01.dds etc. all the way to texture10.dds

Texture and texture00 can either be identical, or you can have texture00 as a 16x16 transparent texture. I think its what ever works best for your aplication.

In 3Dsimed, when you import your object, press 'E' to bring up the material editor.
You should see a small list of textures within your object, including your 'texture' which will be the name of the material within the model (it`ll make sense after playing about with it).
what you need to do, is create a new material for every texture.dds you have, naming them whatever you like, as long as it has 'a', 'b', 'c' etc. after the material name. The one named 'a' must be the material containing the very first texture.
When you have all your materials created with your textures, you then need to choose 'edit' on the 'a' material, and at the bottom of the edit screen, theres a small section called 'Animation'
From the drop down menu, choose 'cycle', and enter in the sequance field '01234567890'. Each number represents which DDS it will play in the sequence, so you can play about with this too if it isn`t right on the first try.
TIP - Save it as a SimEd model before you export it as GMT, because once you turn it into a GMT and open it up again, all your materials will be placed into one, so you cant edit 1 without having to add them all again. You can change the sequence though, as its only contained in the first material.

Non of that probably makes any sense to anyone, so what i`ll try and do later, is take some screenshots of the steps to help a little.

Thanks a lot. Festa, screenshots step by step will be very helpful and useful for me and other "builders".

About 3dsimed and exporting, If I export my track to .GMT, I can replace new .gmt files at my old .gmt's and other files created by BTB? Will track be working?

About 3dsimed and exporting, If I export my track to .GMT, I can replace new .gmt files at my old .gmt's and other files created by BTB? Will track be working?

As long as what ever gmt you put into your track folder is in your .SCN file, then it will work. It can work out to be abit of a pain though, using both 3dsimed and BTB. The more i work with 3dsimed, the less i find myself using BTB.

In 3Dsimed, when you import your object, press 'E' to bring up the material editor.
You should see a small list of textures within your object (PICTURE 1), including your 'texture' which will be the name of the material within the model (it`ll make sense after playing about with it).
what you need to do, is create a new material for every texture.dds you have, naming them whatever you like, as long as it has 'a', 'b', 'c' etc. after the material name. The one named 'a' must be the material containing the very first texture. (PICTURE 2 shows the new material screen, the shot shown is for the very first texture.)
When you have all your materials created with your textures (PICTURE 4 shows what your list should look like), you then need to choose 'edit' on the 'a' material, and at the bottom of the edit screen, theres a small section called 'Animation'. (PICTURE 2 again, at the bottom, shows the animation section. Cycle is for start lights, caution lights and anything else that is triggered by something happening. Event is something you`ll have to test, as i havn`t tried it, and none means it plays the sequence indefinately. Make sure, you only choose your animation settings in material 'a', as the rest should be on 'none'. If you ever get any missing texture messages and your animation isn`t working, that will be your reason why, or, you`ve forgot to put your textures in the same folder!!)
From the drop down menu, choose 'cycle', and enter in the sequance field '01234567890'. Each number represents which DDS it will play in the sequence, so you can play about with this too if it isn`t right on the first try.

Hope hat makes abit more sense.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Capture01.JPG
    Capture01.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Capture02.JPG
    Capture02.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Capture03.JPG
    Capture03.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 266
According to animated textures...

What do You think about animated marschals after race? You know, standing marshals by sides of track with flags. It would be a line of marshals with flags, like crowds, but they would wave flags. I think, it would be simple to do. Replace marshal textures at simple shape, e.g. wall with no colide, only visible. But it is one question. How to do that, marshals appear only after the race? Any ideas?

According to animated textures...

What do You think about animated marschals after race? You know, standing marshals by sides of track with flags. It would be a line of marshals with flags, like crowds, but they would wave flags. I think, it would be simple to do. Replace marshal textures at simple shape, e.g. wall with no colide, only visible. But it is one question. How to do that, marshals appear only after the race? Any ideas?

I`ve already done it, thats why the material is called flag in my pictures ;)

I have it so they are standing as normal, but when a full course yellow comes out, they wave their flag.
This is going to be used in my Croft track, and if it recieves a warm welcome, then in any other tracks i make :)

I have it so they are standing as normal, but when a full course yellow comes out, they wave their flag.
This is going to be used in my Croft track, and if it recieves a warm welcome, then in any other tracks i make :)

It's easy for yellow flag or blue flag or white flag as there are obvious triggers to tie into. Not so sure about after the checkered flag and having the turn workers (marshals) twirling flags as a salute... after all, you wouldn't want the salute to appear instantly as the rearmost car would see the salute before they've seen the checkered flag!

It's easy for yellow flag or blue flag or white flag as there are obvious triggers to tie into. Not so sure about after the checkered flag and having the turn workers (marshals) twirling flags as a salute... after all, you wouldn't want the salute to appear instantly as the rearmost car would see the salute before they've seen the checkered flag!

Please explain how you`d get a blue or white marshall in? Because as far as i`m aware, there are only HUD flags for this. The only reason it works for yellows flags is because it uses a GMT (cautionlight) with animated textures, and as there is no such object for the other flags, how can it be possible?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.5%