Samsung Odyssey Install

I just got the Samsung Odyssey just before I noticed the Plus. Oh well! The bugs should be worked out?

Just wanted to ask about install procedures and settings tips.

• Deleted member 197115

Now I hope you will tell us how it is? Better then the first version or worst.
It's a toss. Upgrade to visuals, if you get over initial perception of blurrier image due to missing SDE grid, step down in ergonomics. Hopefully VR Cover will release aftermarket pads as stock face pad foam is super hard. Tracking is better (embedded BT) and it's lighter on the head.
Wish they just put new screens into old headset.

It's a toss. Upgrade to visuals, if you get over initial perception of blurrier image due to missing SDE grid, step down in ergonomics. Hopefully VR Cover will release aftermarket pads as stock face pad foam is super hard. Tracking is better (embedded BT) and it's lighter on the head.
Wish they just put new screens into old headset.

Why didn't you tell me this earlier? Lol

• Deleted member 197115

I did that time. Thanks.
Just got it and first impressions I don't like it. Very blurry. Maybe res got turned down but I know I was impressed with native res. Will play around with it more.
Was in the same shoes, even attempted to drive back to the store and return it. Something is weird if you use it after original Odyssey, my guess it's either driver, vision adjustment, or break in, could be all three. Updating driver helped almost immediately though, but by the end of the day I was in love.
Here's instruction of what I've done.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/...yesterday_initial_thoughts/e9auzr1/?context=0

Disabling Advanced Supersample Filtering helped too.

EDIT: Another great post from the same thread, explaining a lot, 100% agree with the poster
https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/...ssey_came_yesterday_initial_thoughts/e9bcj2d/

Was in the same shoes, even attempted to drive back to the store and return it. Something is weird if you use it after original Odyssey, my guess it's either driver, vision adjustment, or break in, could be all three. Updating driver helped almost immediately though, but by the end of the day I was in love.
Here's instruction of what I've done.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/...yesterday_initial_thoughts/e9auzr1/?context=0

Disabling Advanced Supersample Filtering helped too.

EDIT: Another great post from the same thread, explaining a lot, 100% agree with the poster
https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/...ssey_came_yesterday_initial_thoughts/e9bcj2d/
Its a little better but nowhere as nice as the original odyssey. I remember feeling the same way switching from the DK2 to the CV1. There was a crispness to the DK2 which the original odyssey has. I didn't even try the CV1 again after getting the odyssey. But with the plus I would go as far as saying the CV1 might be clearer. Don't know for sure because I deleted all Oculus drivers.
You mentioned the plus sweet spot is bigger for you. For me it's the other way around. I noticed everything around the sweet spot is quite blurry in the plus and clear in the original. I wonder if they have defective lenses?

• Deleted member 197115

Its a little better but nowhere as nice as the original odyssey. I remember feeling the same way switching from the DK2 to the CV1. There was a crispness to the DK2 which the original odyssey has. I didn't even try the CV1 again after getting the odyssey. But with the plus I would go as far as saying the CV1 might be clearer. Don't know for sure because I deleted all Oculus drivers.
You mentioned the plus sweet spot is bigger for you. For me it's the other way around. I noticed everything around the sweet spot is quite blurry in the plus and clear in the original. I wonder if they have defective lenses?
I am pretty sure the lenses are the same, smaller sweet spot for you could be related to eyes positioning, you might not be getting them close enough to lenses, also recheck your actual IPD adjustment, don't just rely on reported numbers.
After learning of not trying focusing eyes on now invisible SDE grid I have found picture as crisp as original Odyssey, esp. with Advanced Supersample Filtering disabled.
BTW, watching movies in Odyssey Plus is a bliss.

• Deleted member 197115

Great read thank you @vegaguy5555 and @Andrew_WOT .
Sounds to me like it is a question of what compromise is more acceptable between the normal and the + Odyssey but you both prefer one or the other over the CV1.
Is it more demanding in FPS over the Oculus?
I think it mostly depend on supersampling used i.e. actual resolution.
OpenVR is trying to equalize all HMD set to the same resolution at 100% by using internal multiplier, so technically you shouldn't notice any performance difference using same SS numbers across different headsets (Vive Pro is different though with higher internal multiplier)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=926851496

• Deleted member 197115

This snapshot from German review shows what is exact difference between Odyssey and Odyssey+

Is original really sharper, I am not so sure, but jagged edges can certainly make that impression esp. on distant objects. Think of it as some basic HW antialising.
Annotation 2018-11-24 142748.jpg

I have been playing around with the plus but still quite blurry. I googled the problem but found nothing. Only comparisons showing how much clearer the plus is over the original odyssey, which in my case is the other way around. There is also more aliasing so I'm thinking this plus headset may be defective for sure?
I know it's not just a placebo because there are signs I can't see with the plus until I'm up close.
I'll see what Microsoft says.

• Deleted member 197115

If you followed my guide for removing old drivers and reinstalling WMR and used the same settings, than yes, unless your lenses are smudged, it is probably defective. Keep in mind OLED screens need a bit of a warm up to look their best, cold headset is a little hazy.
I am amazed by how good Skyrim VR looks, jaw dropping really.

If you followed my guide for removing old drivers and reinstalling WMR and used the same settings, than yes, unless your lenses are smudged, it is probably defective. Keep in mind OLED screens need a bit of a warm up to look their best, cold headset is a little hazy.
I am amazed by how good Skyrim VR looks, jaw dropping really.
And I just noticed you don't have any screen door or aliasing at all. I have a bit of sde. Its so blurry I keep checking to see if I have the plastic lens protectors on.
The original odyssey is stunning in comparison but it has sde ofcourse.

• Deleted member 197115

No SDE per se, but if you try to focus eyes real hard against some solid light color, like skies, you can notice very fine film like grain effect.
I still suspect that you have some driver or software issue, mind you I almost puked when I got mine. Did you run new Samsung Odyssey+ setup app after reinstalling everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back