Samsung CRG9 / 49" / 32:9 Monitor (5120 x 1440 1000 HDR)

Mr Latte

Premium
Will use this thread to post more info/content regards this monitor as it becomes available.

Race Sim Displays........
Will This Be The Apex Of Technology For 2019?

Feel free to read what this highly anticipated display offers and give your own opinions.
Are you interested in getting one or upgrading from the previous yet still current models?

Quantum Dot Technology
The main advantage over its already impressive predecessor (apart from the increased resolution) is that the HDR performance has moved from 400 to 1000 peak brightness. This is quite a step up as few monitors till now have gone beyond 600 peak brightness to offer HDR10 spec.

Styling seems to of remained similar with info of the stand now being a bit smaller but this will not matter for most cockpit users. The only minor drawback with the increased resolution is a drop from 144Hz to 120Hz.

Multipurpose Display
Multitasking will be improved with the higher resolution and this model seems to retain the same PIP modes and ways to display multiple windows or sources.

One area I am keen to discover is how well the monitor scales lower 32:9 aspect ratios. This monitor will no doubt require a lot of GPU performance to enjoy it at its native res with high refresh. I query how well it can scale the 1080p resolution of its predecessor as many interested in this monitor may not yet have or want to go with a new expensive GPU as well.

I/O
The CRG9 includes one HDMI port, two Display Ports, USB 3.0 and headphone connectivity options

CES 2019
More will come from the show floor in the coming days.

Price as yet to be confirmed.

Alternative 49" / 32:9 Monitor Options?
So far it appears that this is the only 49" 32:9 monitor that supports four key elements
  • 5120×1440 Resolution
  • 120Hz Refresh
  • 1800R
  • HDR10

Various 49" models have been shown during 2018/2019 (Phillips / Msi / Asus / Dell / LG) but these seem more focused for professional creative usage with 60Hz than for gaming. Some still retain the 32:9 1080p based resolution.

Last edited:
Info / Specs

Official Details

A Super Ultra-Wide 32:9 Screen
The CRG9’s 32:9 aspect ratio creates a wider field of view that allows you to see more content in superfine detail.

1800R Curved Panel
Featuring a 1800R (1,800mm) screen curvature, the monitor’s panel wraps around your field of view, completely immersing you in your game.

A Dual QHD Display
The CRG9’s 5120 x 1440 Dual QHD display is equivalent in size to two 27-inch QHD monitors placed side by side and offers a more focused and flexible multitasking experience, without the distracting bezel that divides dual-monitor setups.

HDR10 Support
HDR10 support allows the CRG9 to offer deeper black levels, outstanding local dimming and advanced specular highlights with a peak brightness of 1,000 nits.

QLED Technology
The addition of Samsung’s QLED technology allows the CRG9 to offer exceptional color reproduction, expressing 95 percent1 of the DCI-P3 color space. This means that colors are purer, brighter and more realistic.

AMD Radeon FreeSync™ 2 HDR Technology
The monitor’s new AMD Radeon FreeSync™ 2 HDR technology reduces stuttering, screen tearing and input latency, and features Low Framerate Compensation (LFC) for seamlessly smooth gameplay.

A 120Hz Refresh Rate
The CRG9’s rapid 120Hz (Hertz) refresh rate and 4ms (millisecond) response time minimize image lag and motion blur, enabling the monitor to effortlessly keep up with fast-paced games. In addition, the user-friendly 60Hz settings allow you to quickly and easily optimize performance via the onscreen display, without accessing the display settings menu.

Multiple Game Modes
Multiple game modes allow you to optimize settings like contrast ratio, definition and color based on the type of game you’re playing. Switch to Low Input Lag mode for even faster response times, and target your enemies more accurately with Virtual Aim Point onscreen crosshairs.

PBP Functionality
The CRG9’s PBP (Picture-by-Picture) functionality allows you to simultaneously view two video sources on the same screen, without compromising image quality. This means that, for example, a user could watch a visually engrossing film while playing a favorite game at the same time. The CRG9 features one HDMI port and two display ports, as well as USB 3.0 and headphone connections.

Eye-Saver Mode
The monitor’s Eye Saver mode and Flicker-Free technology minimize blue light emissions and screen flickering, allowing you to play longer and more comfortably, and with less strain on your eyes.

A User-Friendly Design
The CRG9’s height-adjustable stand swivels and tilts with ease, allowing you to position the screen for maximum comfort, and has been designed to occupy less space on your desk. The panel’s VESA Standard mount also offers the option of mounting the monitor on VESA-compatible arms.

From CES display.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this kind of hidden advertising threads become the new standard in this forum then there is no more reason to visit this site.
Pretty boring at the same time :poop:

Advertising thread, catch yourself on man...

You could of discussed the product, if interested in it. Instead, you take the time to moan about something and then accuse me of creating an advertising thread, seriously?. I think that is uncalled for and quite harsh criticism.

I have shared any info I could on the product for several months to make it easy for others. Spent a lot of time searching for any new info/videos or links regards it. I linked what is the first UK Pre-Order as it is confirming what the price will be. If this annoys you or bores you, I really don't care, as the thread is about the product and it's all relevant.

Last edited:
Seriously considering either this monitor or the 1080p model, what I’m unsure about is would my current system be able to drive the 1440p monitor - or the 1080p for that matter

Currently have a 970ti gfx card

Thoughts

Ps. Get this informative thread back on topic also

never knew they did a 970ti? if so its highly doubtfull youd be able to maintain the framerates needed to sync with the 120hz or 144hz versions, it may even be a bit of a struggle to maintain 60 fps depending on your chosen sim/game, although the 970 for 1080p gaming is a decent card still its getting a bit long in the tooth and with only 4gb ram its going to limit you big time. i think the minimum id be looking for would be a 1070 or 1080, even a 2060 for running the resolutions and hz of these monitors.

So official manual is now available.
Here

I was curious to see the supported resolutions.
One thing that appealed to me was if this monitor could run the resolution of its predecessor. As really in many titles to achieve native resolution at 120Hz would require the current top GPU in the 2080 or 2080Ti and whatever comes next.

Those with GTX 1070 / 1080 / 1080Ti might also be glad to see these supported resolutions.
This would mean we could get the benefit of the improved 5120x1440 native resolution for desktop/general usage purposes but reduce to the 3840x1080 for games.

I'm curious to find out in reviews how the HDR 1000 looks on this model.
It certainly does seem to be a great monitor for sim racing and multitasking.

Last edited:
Problem with all these top end monitors how do you reach anywhere near max refresh for smooth sim physics ( especially rF2 ) ... Anthem clip looks laggy

If you set max detail visuals, then you can always lower the resolution to maintain higher fps depending on the GPU/CPU the user has and how demanding the title they are playing is. No different to a user with a 4K display and them reverting to 1080p.

Looking at the resolutions supported:
32:9 3840x1080 or 21:9 2560x1440 could be used.

Colours look great on the monitor and with great contrast going by these videos.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess so
Seems always chasing fps vs detail
I have only 1440p with RTX2080 and still I would not call it 100% ...it's definitely not overkill for new gen sims let alone 3 screens or VR

Since GTR2 days I never seen the point of running 3 screens when you had to lower so much, seems that has not changed

Another thing RTX card multi GPU is next to useless

If new AMD card Crossfires well could be game changer for super resolutions

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.4%