Safety Rating Explained, please...

So how's the Safety rating worked out?

Last week I was 95 - been that for ages.

Now I'm 81 - I've had tons of clean races, won plenty, had some nice close battles but still hit by the usual dicks. Nothing changed really. I earned the rating through online racing, not farming or with AI.

Safety Rating has fallen through the floor and it's only going one way.

How so?

The system is extremely bad designed. Before the last patch that they changed how the rating works, I had like 90~95 SA, but since then it's been falling non stop and now I'm down to 76. It's like you have to drive for 1h straight side by side with a car to make up for that bump you got from behind that barely did anything to you, but the system decided that was worth -1 SA.
It'll be a race to the bottom then.

Already you can see that the high SA servers are empty, you have to race with the twats, the new stuff and the weekend has brought out some massive bellends, and there's a trend appearing where I either win by a huge margin, or get caught up in the pack because of blocked qualy and the race always ends in tears.

This is from a 70+ SA lobby. I'm the green Audi at the right that both these idiots hit.

Kunos Safety rating be like
3efqgx.jpg

Just done a text book race at Spa - didn't Q so started last - clean through the pack, behind leader by the second lap, stuck to his backside on purpose - could have overtaken earlier - still all clean - every lap the SA Rating thing would ping green but stayed the same - 7 laps later I took him on the penultimate lap. Won.

Couldn't have planned it better as an experiment - SA Rating didn't budge an inch.

It's completely bollocks.

That's ridiculous Asterix I would post that on the official forum if you haven't already
Engineered another couple of online races which were pretty similar - took three clean races like this to gain one extra rating. 4th race, had the mildest of nudges in the back - lost it again.

Sucks balls.

The RC rating is climbing far quicker now that's implemented.

I have mentioned the SA rating a number of times, and if you are out in front or lapping alone somewhere else in the pack then you may as well just leave the game because you aren't racing/driving for any advantage.
My suggestion was to give an SA increase for driving clean laps, so if you do a number of laps in a row without incident then you are awarded a point because you are still being 'safe'. This will still have the desired affect of separating the good drivers from the poor, because poor drivers cant string a few clean laps together.
The issue is, the safety rating isn't based on safety alone, it is also based on trust which is what you gain when racing close to others and not being involved in any incident.
I too think it could be a lot better.

I started a race and was p18 (only managed one lap in qual) out of 22 racers.
By the end I finished p8 of 9 racers because everyone else either rage quit or left due to hot lapping alone and not gaining anything.
If you are hot lapping then some might look at it as 30 minutes wasted.

It's also pretty sad that minolin seems to believe it's the most advanced safety rating system in the whole genre because complex math equations somehow mean better results.
It's pretty obvious how bad the system is by the number of people online, the number of people pulling aside at the start of the race or getting DQ on purpose to start last and the number of people sticking close to slow opponents online to raise their SA.

It’s all about those number up top and to the right.
The only number I care about is the one flashing on my windscreen as I cross the line. Honestly if the system is not going to dispatch me into servers with similar drivers than what’s the point anyway?
I’ll just race whatever grid I get and always keep an eye on the beetle.
Always keep an eye on the beetle they are devious and not to be trusted.

My SC has been stuck on 68 for about the last 6 20/30 minute races. I have been concentrating on racing close, racing clean, and the SR tracker pings green most laps. This is against the AI as despite deleting my ACC folder, all online races are "password locked." The main Kunos official server has a 70 SR requirement.
I just visited the official ACC forum, but can't read the FAQs without creating an account!
Oh, and while I'm complaining - why do I have to race as some guy I've never heard of instead of my real made up name that ACC gets you to enter?

I have played in several leagues, and despite being slow, I was always considered a welcome asset (I can lose gracefully and respect blue flags) but ACC's system blocks me from the official server.

I love this game, but have played more AC than ACC this week. (Discovered the Audi TT VLN - it is now my favourite virtual car of all time!)

I have had a three month hiatus from iRacing, but time to go back I think; their SR system respects gentlemen racers who cause no trouble. (Not saying it's perfect, but it caters to me.)
Sure three months of iRacing costs more than I paid for the early access ACC, but that is why I can shelf ACC with no hard feelings. I am sure Kunos will fix the problems (based on the amazing work they did with AC) and I will be back, desperately watching for those rating numbers to flicker green as I cross the line.

Couldn't have planned it better as an experiment - SA Rating didn't budge an inch.

It's completely bollocks.
What was your safety rating at? If it was at 10 that could be an issue but if it's at 80 then it's probably not an issue.

My suggestion was to give an SA increase for driving clean laps, so if you do a number of laps in a row without incident then you are awarded a point because you are still being 'safe'. This will still have the desired affect of separating the good drivers from the poor, because poor drivers cant string a few clean laps together.
I don't see how that would do anything to highlight a drivers safety. Safety is only really applicable when other cars are on track. What your talking about is a shortcut to get higher ratings rather than being judged on close racing which is what the safety rating is about.

It's pretty obvious how bad the system is by the number of people online, the number of people pulling aside at the start of the race or getting DQ on purpose to start last and the number of people sticking close to slow opponents online to raise their SA.
I've only seen a handful of people complain, out of thousands.

I only have about 70 hours in ACC, I only race on weekends, I haven't been following slow cars, I've just tried to win races and my SA rating is over 80. I understand you need higher ratings to get into some servers but hunting SA ratings is probably encouraging unsafe driving, like tailgating a car you can overtake instead of being along side them into a corner trying to overtake.

Being so obsessed with a particular rating isn't doing you any favours, just try to be fast and clean and the ratings will come. It's as simple as that. I don't even look at those stats when I'm on track, Every so often I'll have a look in the UI when I remember too.

Being so obsessed with a particular rating isn't doing you any favours, just try to be fast and clean and the ratings will come. It's as simple as that. I don't even look at those stats when I'm on track, Every so often I'll have a look in the UI when I remember too.

And if your rating is below 70, so that you can't participate in official settings?

Trust me, I try to be fast. The trouble is, everybody I race with is trying that too. Or would be, if I could race online....

If you don't understand the problem or acknowledge there is one, don't give advice; it's as simple as that.

And if your rating is below 70, so that you can't participate in official settings?
Try harder. Not knowing where your at now it's hard to judge how your doing, if you've only been trying for the weekend then it's perfectly understandable that you won't have a high safety rating.

Trust me, I try to be fast. The trouble is, everybody I race with is trying that too. Or would be, if I could race online....
I haven't done a lot of online racing but did a few at the weekend. Did 30 minutes practice season, qualified 7, finished the race in 3rd. I had two collisions in the race, I bumped into the rear of the car in front on lap one, not enough to upset either car, just a unintentional nudge. I had a more serious collision later in the race when a car came across me and pit manoeuvred itself off my car, my rating is still 80. So I'm not being overly cautious at all.

If you don't understand the problem or acknowledge there is one, don't give advice; it's as simple as that.
It's not that I'm not acknowledging the problem, I'm saying the problem might be peoples expectations and the way they're interacting with the sim rather than the way the sim rates safety. I have no problem building my safety rating while still having minor collisions. I think people tailgating other drivers purely to shortcut getting a higher safety rating is in a sense trying to cheat the system so you shouldn't be too upset when it doesn't give the desired results.

All I'm saying is make sure your not doing something wrong before you go blaming the system because it's working fine for me.

I'm always driving in leagues .... so SA is not really a problem.
Anyway .... there's a problem in a so-called Safety Rating as ....... some slower drivers with a SA at 40 may also be very clean drivers and behave as gentlemen drivers as other drivers with a SA at 85.

The SA as base for a good server is not necessarily a good idea finally .... on a low based SA server... it will be more difficult to gain SA due to the behaviour of some less safe drivers ... and now racing with AI doesn't really allow to gain some SA but rather easier to loose some ones.

Shouldn't it be better to use a mix of different ratings as base for a better server ? A clean slower driver might learn much more with good drivers than with not clean ones.

In iRacing, you can often spot the drivers who are going to cause troubles - they are those with a high (numerically) driver number who have qualified at the front, and those with a low driver number who didn't bother to qualify.
Not a hard and fast rule, but more reliable than relying on 3 or more christian names. :whistling:

I have an A rating for safety, which reflects long periods with no cars within 5 seconds of me on track. Anybody can get an A rating in iRacing; it's not perfect by a long way - but it doesn't actively prohibit me from racing on official servers.

Safety is a stupid word to use in relationship with racing though. Very few people race or watch races to admire how safe the drivers are.

Of course, if Kunos dropped the 70 SR requirement to 65, I probably wouldn't see a problem either. I'd be too busy having fun.

I've only seen a handful of people complain, out of thousands.
You've only seen few people complain because a) you need an account to merely access the forums, let alone post something and b) the community pretty much ridicules anyone who dares say something negative about the game. The people you don't see complaining are simply the people who stopped playing this game and the fanboys.

Shouldn't it be better to use a mix of different ratings as base for a better server ? A clean slower driver might learn much more with good drivers than with not clean ones.
Being on track with faster drivers can be helpful, as long as your not a lot slower than them, so that you can't keep up with them to learn anything. They don't allow drivers that are way off the pace to take part in real world races because they act as rolling road blocks. In F1 isn't there 5% rule or something along those lines, if your not within 5% of the top guys time you don't get to race. If your a lot slower than the fast guys your not gaining a whole lot. You'd be better off with guys only slightly better than you.

Safety is a stupid word to use in relationship with racing though. Very few people race or watch races to admire how safe the drivers are.

Of course, if Kunos dropped the 70 SR requirement to 65, I probably wouldn't see a problem either. I'd be too busy having fun.
People don't go to races to see accidents either. There's complaints about low rated drivers in this thread so clearly people want to avoid being in with the low rated drivers.. Safety isn't a stupid word to use at all it's perfectly apt way of describing other drivers ability to avoid crashes, whether they caused the incident or not. Being able to avoid being taken out is also a racing skill that people need to know.

You've only seen few people complain because a) you need an account to merely access the forums, let alone post something and b) the community pretty much ridicules anyone who dares say something negative about the game. The people you don't see complaining are simply the people who stopped playing this game and the fanboys.
That's just your assumption though, people who complain make up the bulk of online discussion, the people who don't complain aren't heard of and are just as likely to be happy with everything rather than being upset about it. It's not about ridiculing people that complain, but some of these posts just go overboard when it's not really clear that the sim is being used correctly or that they're not just being impatient. The posts here are low on details just assertion that things are broken because they aren't were they want to be or the system is too aggressive in taking points away.

All I've pointed out is that I don't grind the game, I'm not the safest driver in the world but I've managed to get a rating over 70 giving me access to the comp. servers. So the system works for me. I think people that are having difficulty increasing ratings because other drivers are always crashing into them need to have a second look at their driving and make sure they are not putting themselves in dangerous positions. There's been a few videos about this in the community recently. I'm not saying that applies to you, maybe your just really unlucky but it is really worth taking that into consideration. Maybe your being too aggressive, putting yourself in dangerous positions, and maybe it is the other driver that eventually causes the accident but you created the conditions for that accident to happen.

I was like that racing against AI, still am a bit, but on line I treat everyone like an accident waiting to happen, especially the fast guys. They are super fast but can't seem to string 5 laps together without a visit to the verges. When I see two fast guys battling I just wait for them to have an accident rather than get in the middle of it and let them take me out too.

Is it possible to unactivate Safety Rating offline ?
You're just testing in short races new updates with AI and your SA goes down too easily ! .... Normal ??? NO.

If it is possible it should be done automatically or asked by the game when starting a session or simply very well explained rather than to force you to begin searching or trying to find something or finally nothing in a lot of informations... a kind of respect for their "customers" is a minimum.

Sorry but to have to find your way in their official forum .... that's not normal.
Surely acceptable in Early Access, but not afterwards.
Moreover very difficult to find a real answer in there when it's all mixed up with so many ... too many comments and multiplied threads.

Not enough explanations in a game or simulation itself, that's really not fine .... but that's the way they often work.
I love Kunos for their realizations .... but for practical and precise communication ... there's still a lot to do.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 418 39.8%