Safety Car?

Whilst commentating on the winter series. I just wondered, would a safety car be a good idea. It tends to spice things up whilst bringing things closer together. Also have a safety car start might help avoiding the first corner crashing that was pretty much the most consistent factor across the series. It would have to be driven by someone properly of course and not AI but I was just wondering if it is a good idea or not.

Haha! And who would be willing to be on standby to drive safetycar? Its not necessary tbh, and we dont get same kind of starts with rfactor then what we had in winterseries with rf2. I cant remember any big crashes in the starts of last season.

Everyone knows that AI safety car is really bad. For those who are not in iRacing, there is a pace car that normally drives like 40 MPH all the time and when he wants to go into the pit, you have to stay at least 5 meters behind him or he will totally wreck your car. He's driving forward like a normal guy would do in pacing and then he turnes 80° to the right or left and that pisses me off there (and he's driving in the middle of the road). I don't know if this is happening in rFactor, but if it does than it would be better to have a PLAYER pace car driver and not AI (COM).

Unfortunately both AI Safety Car and a driven Safety Car don´t work properly in rFactor.

The AI Safety Car would probably be the better option, but it needs to be prepared for each track (it drives depending on the AIW) to make sure we don´t get things like in early 2010 where the Safety Car slowed down on the straights massively sometimes and drivers crashed into it.

A person driven Safety Car was used in an FSR CTDP Showrace after 2008 and it caused a lot of other trouble, as rFactor doesn´t know there is a Safety Car out drivers got Penalties for ignoring Blue Flags, which the Race Director couldn´t see, and the communication between the Race Director and Teams/Drivers can never be efficient enough to ensure the lapped drivers unlap themself by overtaking the Safety Car.

Maybe rFactor2 will offer better possibilities to run a Safety Car but in rFactor it´s not an option.

Unfortunately both AI Safety Car and a driven Safety Car don´t work properly in rFactor.

The AI Safety Car would probably be the better option, but it needs to be prepared for each track (it drives depending on the AIW) to make sure we don´t get things like in early 2010 where the Safety Car slowed down on the straights massively sometimes and drivers crashed into it.

A person driven Safety Car was used in an FSR CTDP Showrace after 2008 and it caused a lot of other trouble, as rFactor doesn´t know there is a Safety Car out drivers got Penalties for ignoring Blue Flags, which the Race Director couldn´t see, and the communication between the Race Director and Teams/Drivers can never be efficient enough to ensure the lapped drivers unlap themself by overtaking the Safety Car.

Maybe rFactor2 will offer better possibilities to run a Safety Car but in rFactor it´s not an option.
How about we first try a little test on the track and see how are the reactions of the game, if there are any problems with the Safety car or not and then we will see if we will use a AI or P1 Safety car. It would be better if we try this now, not just say:"Lets just use the AI Safety car!" Do a server for testing and try there with a 10 lap race with Safety car driven by a person.

How about we first try a little test on the track and see how are the reactions of the game, if there are any problems with the Safety car or not and then we will see if we will use a AI or P1 Safety car. It would be better if we try this now, not just say:"Lets just use the AI Safety car!" Do a server for testing and try there with a 10 lap race with Safety car driven by a person.

I think you missed this statement :
"as rFactor doesn´t know there is a Safety Car out drivers got Penalties for ignoring Blue Flags, which the Race Director couldn´t see, and the communication between the Race Director and Teams/Drivers can never be efficient enough to ensure the lapped drivers unlap themself by overtaking the Safety Car."
-I think that fairly describes how SC's role cant do it in the game...

2, I am not drving it ok, because the fact of the matter being this, i might be doing commentary this year (Broadcast and/or Highlights 2013)
one-does-not-simply-understand-my-sense-of-humor.jpg

I think a safety car would really spice things up.

I know that it's probably not necessary at all - but as a race event, it would be really interesting.

I don't really agree with safety car starts, as first corner crashes are something that happens, and again, make the race more interesting. However, considering it's sim racing, why not stay true to the real thing and have a safety car?

I'm sure you could find a consistent driver who could drive it, and in this day & age, you can easily keep communications up with whoever necessary through ventrillo or similar.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%