Safety Car Issue

I recently purchased rFactor, and naturally installed some mods. Today I ran a 10 lap race at the Balatonring. After 1 1/2 laps, a full course yellow came out. The safety car emerged, got roughly 1/4 of the way around, then parked up way off the track. The yellow stayed in effect, cars (without the SC) trundled around at 17kph for the rest of the race. The safety car never moved. It took 1hr 32min to complete the race.
i see that a lot of people just run Black flag instead of full, which is probably what I will do from here. However, my question is: Is that a course issue, an AI issue, or what? Has anyone else experienced something similar, or was this just a bug?

Yes it is an AI issue.
Yes it is known and has been known for years.
Yes it IS A BUG

S397 has been aware of this problem almost from the start. But they have decided to focus first on three major areas. First was upgrading the graphics to beyond DX11 standards. This has been an ongoing project that has continued since S397 purchased rF2.
2nd: They wanted to upgrade to UI and planned several enhancements to rF2 that either were not possible with the old UI, or would be easier to implement with the new UI.
3rd: They wanted to create from scratch an online Competition System that would first improve the online experience AND draw new users to rF2.

Because of the focus in those areas, other problems, bugs, features, etc have been prioritized to far down the 'to-do' list. I might add, most items on the 'to-do' list are 4, 5, or now 6 years old. Recently S397 was purchased and since the new owners have assumed partial control, S397 has begun hiring multiple new employees. It is our HOPE that some of these new hires will be let loose on bug fixes, AI improvements, physics improvements etc etc. But for now, you already have the only workable solution. Turn off the flags.

Yes it is an AI issue.
Yes it is known and has been known for years.
Yes it IS A BUG

S397 has been aware of this problem almost from the start. But they have decided to focus first on three major areas. First was upgrading the graphics to beyond DX11 standards. This has been an ongoing project that has continued since S397 purchased rF2.
2nd: They wanted to upgrade to UI and planned several enhancements to rF2 that either were not possible with the old UI, or would be easier to implement with the new UI.
3rd: They wanted to create from scratch an online Competition System that would first improve the online experience AND draw new users to rF2.

Because of the focus in those areas, other problems, bugs, features, etc have been prioritized to far down the 'to-do' list. I might add, most items on the 'to-do' list are 4, 5, or now 6 years old. Recently S397 was purchased and since the new owners have assumed partial control, S397 has begun hiring multiple new employees. It is our HOPE that some of these new hires will be let loose on bug fixes, AI improvements, physics improvements etc etc. But for now, you already have the only workable solution. Turn off the flags.
Thanks for that quick answer. Much appreciated!

The sad thing is safety cars were working fine back in the ISI days, before the S397 purchase. Then they broke... was never certain whether it was just before or just after the purchase.

This is my advice for AI

1. Increase fuel usage and tyre wear
2. Disable all flags
3. Set AI level high enough you can't qualify well, in race it comes back to you
( If you set AI to a level you can be on pole the field will be too slow to race )
4. All cars on all tracks simply won't work you need to find the combos work best
5. Pit earlier or later then AI

P.S. people complain that tracks take too long to load but then want to lap behind safety car

Fact is real safety cars and sims are nothing alike
Real safety cars come out for cars and debris on track
not as soon as one car spins lol

Please any sim show me cars or car parts that stay on the road longer then next lap ? Even cars at side of road disappear so why the safety car ?
Because it is reality ?
Then please explain to me what you are doing using virtual mirrors ? lol

Last edited:
In rFactor 1, i use to adjust these parimeters to better suit our races. You can adjust the sensitivity of the safety car regarding when it will come out. Here are some of those settings i adjusted:

QUICK Safety Car Thresh="1.00000" // Threshold for bringing out safety car (lower numbers -> more full-course yellows),

Vehicle Removal="30.00000" // Seconds until stationary vehicle is removed from track
Debris Removal="30.00000" // Seconds until stationary debris is removed from track
Parts Duration="1000.00000" // Seconds after parts break off before disappearing

rF2 only uses the Vehicle removal and "CURNT Safety Car Thresh":1

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC
I use virtual mirror on cars (and there are a few) that you can't adjust the wing mirrors on.

It was just an analogy ;)

If good working safety cars are imperative for realism then it follows anything unrealistic should not be used either

Or do you want to use realistic and unrealistic things as you see fit
and expect everything to work just how you want, that is not going to happen

It is way over worrying and talking about rF2 long term issues will never be fixed so you just work around them

I put how you have the best fun offline in rF2 from very first day
ignore it at your own peril :)

Another one some might be unaware is wet track for you is more grippy then best rubber while Ai drop lap time you would expect so it is way too easy to win

The big 2 for offline for me are tyres and fuel, even if you have a sprint race try full tanks
More load makes both you and ai car behave better ;)
4 x tyres you will see the Ai graining up , do you take 2 or 4 tyres, can you make tyres last
off course a lot is dependent on particular car and track combo

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 199 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years