rF2 S397 GTE @ Silverstone - Saturday 02 March 2019

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Sorry for contact with Gasper on the first lap in turn 3, you braked really early and I wasn't able to completely avoid contact, happy to see it didn't affect your race or pace, great win. I was side by side at that time with Paul for first few corners (nice battle) and we both got surprised and scratch our paint, I made sure to let everyone involve go and a few more, hope that was ok.

Few fun battles after with some door to door rubbing great fun.

Sorry to ear about your ffb Mikka, sure is not easy to race without it.

Thanks for the race everyone.

Last edited:
The curve is getting steeper than I wanted to be. I had the same issue with a p4 on the wing and for the second half of the race I couldn't handle it. Plus every time I went to the box I was getting a speed penalty despite the limiter.
Guess I reached the bottom of the barrel and now I have to start digging.
Will post the results.

What a race :D
No worries @Christian.ca I had no damage on my car ;) However I'd like to point out that I didn't brake early. Well, I did. But not by mistake. On first lap, when cars are close together, accordion effect comes into play. For this, everyone behind leader is forced to brake a bit earlier than we usually would. Also, the other Gasper overshoot into T3 and divebombed into it. I saw that and took extra caution, as if he would hit someone into T3, apex would be blocked for sure. Those are two direct reasons why and when I pressed brake pedal.
Another reason for being extra cautious on first lap when braking, are cold brakes, cold tires and low tire pressures. The other Gasper is in average 0.3s faster than me on any track. But he overcooked his tires to much in first 15min of the race (confirmed on discord after the race) and later wasn't able to sustain his pace. It was pretty easy for me to control my position and pace on the other hand.
Thermal degradation on these tires seems to be much more important than mechanical wear.

Plus every time I went to the box I was getting a speed penalty despite the limiter.
rF2 is very strict on this. You must be below the pit limit the moment any part of your car crosses the pit limit line it seems, and you can only accelerate once you are completely behind the exit line. If you cross the entry line even 1 kph above the limit, you will get penalty (when exiting the pitlane, which is kinda confusing as well), and same with exiting.

Last edited:
Plus every time I went to the box I was getting a speed penalty despite the limiter
At which line did you brake? I received a penalty for entering too quickly on Friday. There's one line about 40m before the right turn into the pits where the red barrier has a gap.
That's the line where you need to be at or below 99 kp/h.
Problem is, from cockpit cam you see that line about 7m before you cross it. Looking at my brake inputs in the replay I didn't even touch the pedal in time.
And then there's a second line at the final right turn entering the pits. No idea what that one is for?

And Martin is correct, rF2 apparently counts the first polygon of your front for entering the pits and the last polygon of your rear when exiting the pits.

Were you running low wing by any chance? I made this mistake to gain a bit of speed on the straights, it felt OK in qualification and warmup, but after like five or so laps in the race, the car basically became undrivable (as you've probably noticed yourself ;) ) - someone was asking if he lost the rear wing (was it you?) and it was as if he was reading my mind. I went to pits to adjust the wing (and take new tyres because at that point a few more seconds really didn't matter much) and it was much better for the rest of the race, even though I was lap behind.
Hello Martin
I would agree with you and the thought crossed my mind. It was me that made the missing wing comment, I saw you losing control of the car as well. I don't know what to think, was a P2 wing too little downforce? I had been running quite a few laps, on and offline all afternoon with the same setup, full fuel and little fuel, I don't think I lost control more than a couple of times and it was due to driver error as I was pushing. During the race I would just lose the rear as if I had no downforce at all, this only after ~7 laps or so. Besides I had been engaged in a hard battle from the start, cold tires and all, the car gave no indication of low rear grip.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Cheers!

don't know what to think, was a P2 wing too little downforce?
It definitely was for me in the Porsche :) Exactly like you described it, after 5 or so laps, the rear grip was quite suddenly just gone, as if there was no wing at all, even though it was perfectly drivable until then. I went to P5 with the adjustment in the pits, which was what I was driving in practice I believe, and even that was getting a bit tail happy at the end of the race, but nowhere near how that P2 wing felt. I even managed to keep up fairly well with the leader and P2 when they lapped me shortly after leaving the pits with the adjusted wing.

I ran the wing at 4 with the Porsche. I thought Silverstone is supposed to be a low downforce track but it felt better (and quicker!) with more wing.

There is always a drop down with softs after a few laps; thankfully they get better again afterwards... I think it is more an overheat issue; you can push hard on fresh tyres, as soon as they start wearing we should monitor a bit more their temp and make sure we're not abusing them.

I must admit this race I didn't pay so much attention to temp, like many I spun after a few laps, and had pretty big vibrations but continued. Usually I'm fine for the full race with a set of tyres, this time they were completely gone the last 20, 15 mn. I still can't believe how @Steve Le Gallez flew by me! :confused: I was 2.5 to 3 s a lap slower than my best at this stage...

That was a tough race but I loved it! :D Thanks for organizing them @Craig Dunkley :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I thought Silverstone is supposed to be a low downforce track but it felt better (and quicker!) with more wing.
That's actually been my experience with a lot of track that are said to be low downforce. I only tried lowering the wing because it did feel quite stable during qualification, so I thought a bit more speed on the straights might come in handy. But it was obviously a mistake :)

@Antmerino
af rf2 v2.JPG

I agree with @Piero Favretti. At Jerez I had over 99% consistency with same load and tires and never run off track except on the 2nd lap due to traffic. I didn't have time to tune the car for the race this week and I found online a fast guy suggesting P4 on wing. So I took two click down and was able to break the 2' barrier testing offline with 30l on a Q setup (260/280 on springs P6/P4 on ARB, 3.1 2.9 on camber). But yesterday was a different story and I am wondering in in fact I didn't have enough downforce. I dont' know a thing about 991 handling, setup and rf2 grip, but the car didn't feel right at Silverstone.

@Martin Fiala / @RasmusP thanks for the feedback! I guess it was the first entry limit of 99km. I got the message of the penalty as soon as I left the pit in both instances while disengaging the limiter on the ramp, so I presumed it happened on the way out.

Looking forward to this coming Saturday, possibly on a brand new version of the track from the hands of Studio 397.

I agree with @Piero Favretti. At Jerez I had over 99% consistency with same load and tires and never run off track except on the 2nd lap due to traffic. I didn't have time to tune the car for the race this week and I found online a fast guy suggesting P4 on wing. So I took two click down and was able to break the 2' barrier testing offline with 30l on a Q setup (260/280 on springs P6/P4 on ARB, 3.1 2.9 on camber). But yesterday was a different story and I am wondering in in fact I didn't have enough downforce. I dont' know a thing about 991 handling, setup and rf2 grip, but the car didn't feel right at Silverstone.

@Martin Fiala / @RasmusP thanks for the feedback! I guess it was the first entry limit of 99km. I got the message of the penalty as soon as I left the pit in both instances while disengaging the limiter on the ramp, so I presumed it happened on the way out.

Looking forward to this coming Saturday, possibly on a brand new version of the track from the hands of Studio 397.
You'll always get the penalty message after leaving the pits no matter where you collected it somewhere in the pit lane.
Just if you didn't know that or if we didn't mention it, for completion :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.1%