rF2 S397 GT3 @ Zandvoort - Fri 23 Oct 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
that was fun @Michael Rudolf ! here's our fight the first half of the race. Blew up my engine with 15 minutes to go ;)

start @ min 13 - nice fighting with Rudolf between min 22 and min 34

Oh no what a pity! What tyres did you use? Mine were already down to like 75 (rear) when I spun out. Might have overheatet them also, brake ducts were at 66%. No idea if that's was too much. Car felt bad after like 5 laps, couldn't keep my pace up.

Perhaps you would like to become a staff member, and run these events if you think that this is "absurd". Not being able to update our servers wouldn't have prevented you from taking part. Granted, you shouldn't have needed to switch to using an older build, but the circumstances were such that servers could not be updated by the staff member running this evening on this occasion. I'm sorry that his hard work wasn't good enough for you.

The staff member has already apologised several times for this unfortunate mishap… one of only very few issues that occur and are actually within our control, and in spite of the fact that he was not at fault. Demanding an apology and that another event is run tomorrow is just plain rude! I appreciate that you pay for Premium membership, but staff members are volunteering their time and effort to run this site and these events, and, as I have said, this was a rare problem within our control.
you are rude you not me, ok ?, moderate the words, I just asked to redo the event, since the fault that many did not make the race, it is your fault, and moderate your words, ok?

you are rude you not me, ok ?, moderate the words, I just asked to redo the event, since the fault that many did not make the race, it is your fault, and moderate your words, ok?
Which words do you suggest that I moderate? I haven't said anything impolite. And I haven't denied that this was my fault; I apologised for the issue. But I refuse to accept your suggestion that I have been insolent. I understand your frustration, but I didn't refer to a relatively minor mistake, on this one occasion, as "absurd", ask for an apology, and call for this event to be re-run tomorrow, before squarely attributing blame to us. We have explained the situation - it was a matter of bad timing. We cannot simply run another race tomorrow just because you were unable to take part this evening. Have you not considered that the staff member who organised the event may have plans of his own tomorrow? And that he has put considerable time and effort into organising this, and a number of other events… many of which ran without any issues. From what I can see, he did the best that he could this evening to make the most out of the situation, and ensure that the event still went ahead. The only way to make it happen on this occasion was to ask participants to revert to an older version of the game; not ideal, but not entirely unreasonable either under the circumstances. Switching to an older version of the game is not difficult; to help, the staff member in question provided instructions for this, and some (though admittedly not all) people were still able to take part in the event. Issues experienced by anyone who had switched back to v1121 would have been unrelated to this switch. But if you did not switch to v1121, after being advised to do so, then I don't really know what else I can say.

now I ask you, to apologize for what happened this evening, create another race tomorrow evening at the same time, if anything sprint at ZAN, but please do the race again please

Sorry, but in other instances when the race itself can't be run - it could tonight - races are never run the next day, but rather same day of the week the next week. This doesn't apply here, as the race was run.

Thanks for organinzing @Ole Marius Myrvold! Great fun until I lost it :cry: Thanks @Jasje, great pace, enjoyed that a lot :thumbsup:! Just not good at setting my car up in this sim, always feels horrible oversteery in the race. Or maybe I was just too tired. See you next time!

I usually don't have oversteer-issues, but man did I have it today! That Bentley was surprisingly tail-happy for such a long, wide, huge car!

here's our fight the first half of the race. Blew up my engine with 15 minutes to go ;)

Was talking with @max1966i about it after the race, he wondered how one could blow an engine in GT3's, and I said that the 'Vette is a bit easier to blow than other cars.
That was before I saw what car you drove :whistling:

Oh no what a pity! What tyres did you use? Mine were already down to like 75 (rear) when I spun out.

Oh, when I pitted as I underfueled (that's how it goes when all practice, qual and warm-up time is spent on the forum trying to help as many as I can to join the server :geek:) My front left tyre was on 41.

Thank you @Ole Marius Myrvold for hosting the race :thumbsup:
Even though we werent that many, it was actually quite fun... But the level of concentration needed on that track - oh my :O_o:

I think this would've been a really hectic, and even more fun event with 20-ish guys! :) But it worked well, but you didn't fight for last this time either! Haha! :)

But it worked well, but you didn't fight for last this time either!
It wasn't because I had good race pace though. I was consistently slower than the guys around me, but this time I didn't crash and others did :D
I did have serious fuel problems though, so I had to do some fuel saving the last 20 minutes. So I finished the race with 0.70 liters left.
Now I just have to do exactly the same next week on "The Nord" :whistling:

Oh, when I pitted as I underfueled (that's how it goes when all practice, qual and warm-up time is spent on the forum trying to help as many as I can to join the server :geek:) My front left tyre was on 41.
Well in that case I wasn't doing too bad then :D Saw in @Jasje video though his tyres were still around 90 when mine were already below 80 at that point so he is a real tyre magician ;)
I guess I need to put more practice in setting the car up in this sim, I was sliding around a lot and couldn't really fix it, certainly didn't help.

I just wanna say thank you to the staff for organizing and hosting the race despite S397 being a bit obtuse when it comes to updates.
Huge respect for the dedication that you guys give! @Ole Marius Myrvold @Daiman Patel

My slow progress trying to come to grips with setups and ffb-feel in ACC, my catastrophic Silverstone race from RDGTC the week before this one(although Kyalami this week went better!), and also having to sign out of last Fridays rF2 event had really tanked my spirits for racing. So from 8th on the grid to ending up 2nd was a huge satisfaction, and as it were, felt very much needed!
My car wasn't really that fast but I managed to create a super comfortable setup, it was like driving a sofa! Thus it was very easy to be consistent and the car behaved pretty much the same lap after lap throughout the distance; sure midway the fronts started to give way slightly but when my fuel dropped the front recovered. S397 have really nailed the tyres on the GT3's!

Speaking of(since a few of you mentioned tyres), here's how mine looked in the end right after I crossed the finish line:
toyeurs_75.png

I actually expected the left front to be down to one red dot, but I still managed my way round doing 36-37's without any drama and I was able to stay somewhat close(5-7 sec.) to @xoSx.Racing the whole race, but this time he was bullet proof, well done on the win! I also had a sweet first lap battle with @rockracer , running side by side the first four corners cleanly, it was great! I realize my results are due to some of the faster guys dropping out, but persistence combined with consistence really paid of this time! It looked like @akephoe had a similar way of success, congrats to 3rd man!
All in all, despite the update issue messing everything up for many and making for a sparse grid, I had a great race! :thumbsup:

Bring on the Nordschleife!

Well in that case I wasn't doing too bad then :D Saw in @Jasje video though his tyres were still around 90 when mine were already below 80 at that point so he is a real tyre magician ;)
I guess I need to put more practice in setting the car up in this sim, I was sliding around a lot and couldn't really fix it, certainly didn't help.
I'm using the default setup + rear wing 1 click higher.
I had the same issue as you in my first GT3 races. The tires are nice the first 5 laps and than they start to be slower. The trick is to avoid pushing too much and accept that your laptimes are .5 sec slower. If you push too much you get oversteer (like you had a lot), which heats your tires, makes the wear faster, which makes you oversteer more, which wears them faster, etc.. :)
How were your tire temps during the race?

From my side also a big thanks to the admins and staff for organizing and hosting the Events. The late build Update forced me to roll back, but despite a slow max 700kb connection it took only 5min. to be ready in time. So, complaining about the orga for being late and not up to date i can't understand.

As Magnus wrote in his race review, congrats by the way to him and Xoxs for being second and first, i had a good race. As always i was not fast in quali and over one lap, but in the race i had a very consistent and driveable car. Setup was not perfekt but stable with a good feedback. So in the end i made the final Podium, clearly also a result of some faster cars did not finish.
Looking forward to next week.

Btw. If i remember correctly my left front tyre was in the end down to 60...

Last edited:
I had the same issue as you in my first GT3 races. The tires are nice the first 5 laps and than they start to be slower. The trick is to avoid pushing too much and accept that your laptimes are .5 sec slower. If you push too much you get oversteer (like you had a lot), which heats your tires, makes the wear faster, which makes you oversteer more, which wears them faster, etc.. :)
Yea definitely pushed it too hard in the beginning. Also I think the 488 has a lot more oversteer than in ACC that I'm much more used to. Don't recall the temps, think beyond 80 at all times, Crew Chief complained about hot brakes so I guess the brake ducts were closed too much and contributed to that as well.

Yea definitely pushed it too hard in the beginning. Also I think the 488 has a lot more oversteer than in ACC that I'm much more used to. Don't recall the temps, think beyond 80 at all times, Crew Chief complained about hot brakes so I guess the brake ducts were closed too much and contributed to that as well.
Jep, hot brakes definitely heat up your tires a lot more.

Last question and then I'll stop spamming here, what tyre pressures are you guys aiming for? In ACC I go for 27-28 psi when they are at optimum temps, never got a hold of that kpa thing here.

Setting tyres in rF2 is simple: softest tyres and lowest pressures for races under 1h.

If your front tires were wearing it means you were experiencing an understeer rather than oversteer.
Loose rear end is not the same as oversteer. Adjusting ride height, negative camber and anti-roll bars helps manage it. I drive with the lowest rear wing and have no oversteer what so ever.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back