rF2 S397 GT3 @ Silverstone - Friday 01 March 2019

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
You and me both Martin, 397 updates and Steam does not = major problems, why do we have to FORCE steam to update? ..no doubt this will start to cost 397 potential customers.

397 to Steam appears to be fine
Steam to the users, appears to be broken

@Craig Dunkley We don't really have to force Steam to update, if we're talking about the same thing, it's just that they now default to scheduling any game updates in the next like 24 hours or so, which sadly kinda wreaks havoc on the rF2 packaging system. You can set a game to high priority, which I believe should force Steam to update it as soon as the update is ready, so that might solve some of the issues people seem to have. It's set by right clicking on given game in the Library list, selecting Properties, going to the Updates tab and setting Automatic updates to High priority.

I was talking more about the rF2 side of things, like why does the game keep so many different versions of the same package for example. I'm guessing there is a reason, but it's quite confusing. Maybe it keeps some of the old versions for compatibility reasons? But in that case, it apparently still doesn't work all that great, because it seems that if you don't have that version, you are not able to re-acquire it if a newer version is already out, so...yeah.

I don’t think there is an issue with steam updates to the user either (in fact, I think they’re highly efficient in this, to the point where it becomes a pain lol)...from Thursday when I first attempted to join the sever I already had the current 3 versions of the Radical installed - 2.31, 2.40 and 2.41 and RF2 was set to the default update setting “always up to date” so my reinstalling it didn’t change anything; the server update done this morning was definitely the fix. I don’t know how setting up the servers work or how they are updated, but maybe that’s the area that needs addressing in terms of timely auto-updates? Glad the admins sorted it out regardless :thumbsup:

I don’t know how setting up the servers work or how they are updated, but maybe that’s the area that needs addressing in terms of timely auto-updates?
Unfortunately "auto-updating" is not (theoretically, or at least without writing your own custom scripts) possible with standalone dedicated servers - they do not work the same way as the rFactor 2 client application, or quite the same way as the client-side version of the dedicated server, and it does not run via the Steam application. When content updates are released they have to be downloaded manually before a new "mod package" is created (using the latest versions of the component files) for the server. So there is no getting away from a person / administrator being involved in updating servers and resources that are required for events (not easily anyway - it is possible, but would require a fairly substantial amount of work to write applications and utilities to automate the entire process). :geek:

Glad the admins sorted it out regardless :thumbsup:
Absolutely not a problem! I'm always here to help! :D

Reactions: BP
  • Deleted member 387850

Unfortunately I'll have to sign out as well :( Parental duties call I'm afraid! Hope you all have a good race!

Thanks for this race guys! The banter in TS was hilarious and I enjoyed a few battles.
We rF2 Club racers definitely need to practice starts though. And I don't mean T1 battles, these are the same everywhere hehe.
But I had to dodge a car on the grid and dropped back. Looking at the replay I saw everyone getting going on a highly different speed.
I practiced the start against the AI but actually parking my car after the formation lap everything went sooo freaking quickly that I almost missed the final horn! :whistling:

Anyway, I had some awesome fun tonight. Thanks for this to all of you!

Little note: @xoSx.Racing, Dastan looking at the results file you dropped down 2 positions to behind me. Penalties section shows a stop and go for you and you probably didn't serve it. Afaik you finished about 2 seconds in front of Andy.
This makes the unserved penalty dropping you down about 45 seconds :confused::cry:

That said, Silverstone is the strictest track I've ever came across. Last race, while being one of my first ones and not knowing that the severness of cuts is influencing the penalties, I served 3 penalties, oops :poop:

I'm probably responsible for the bad start.

When I can't see the lights on grid, I normally go with the beeping sound countdown. Sadly few people talk on TS right at that moment and I couldn't ear beeb sound, as a result I totally missed the start, and of course everyone behind was affected. Sorry!

I now have a mute button assign when on grid. And I'll try to adjust my sound settings as well.

I now have a mute button assign when on grid. And I'll try to adjust my sound settings as well.

Reckon I'll be doing the same, my start was a complete mess also. Although that was as much to do with my general fumbling around with gears / clutch as it was anything else :whistling:
The mute button idea sounds like a good plan in any case.
Once we'd all negotiated the lap one shenanigans though, there was some really fun (and fair) racing right up until the chequered flag :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back