rF2 S397 GT3 @ Portimão - Fri 26 Jun 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Daiman, have you thought about a GT3 championiship? Every race is full grid.
As much as I would love for this to happen, unfortunately I do not have the time to organise a championship / league. There is significantly more effort and work required to put together a league than to run weekly club events. Also, I have done it before and will never do it again... I won't elaborate, but I have my reasons.

As much as I would love for this to happen, unfortunately I do not have the time to organise a championship / league. There is significantly more effort and work required to put together a league than to run weekly club events. Also, I have done it before and will never do it again... I won't elaborate, but I have my reasons.
You can't be on your own to organize such an event...setting the schedule, the servers, managing the race on evening, judging race facts such as punt or penalty, giving a feedback of race and end positions...

Hopefully maybe the new simarcing.gp system will ease such big events organization ?

You can't be on your own to organize such an event...setting the schedule, the servers, managing the race on evening, judging race facts such as punt or penalty, giving a feedback of race and end positions...

Hopefully maybe the new simarcing.gp system will ease such big events organization ?

One are rarely alone. But being the head-guy is surprisingly draining. I noticed it when I ran the last RDRC season some years back as well. Granted it was my choice that we made a PDF-magazine on 35-50 pages before every rally. That we created a tool that meant we could have a multi-platform (PC, Playstation and xbox) championship way before Codemasters added this as a native solution in their rally games. We also had over 400 entries for that championship. And we kept on making own apps to ease the workload. Still I think we spent on avg. 40hours per event.

I didn't run a single club event until Covid-19 after that. Barely participated in any club races anywhere. And never touched DiRT Rally again after that championship.

It is rewarding, and I am sure after the initial relief that it was all done. I am sure @Daiman Patel felt happy of what he achieved. But I am also sure that he, like me, now know the insane amount of work to get a league of a certain level running. And also, I guess - like me, he wouldn't like to run a half-arsed league just to do it. I know that I don't want to do anything that's not as good as the last RDRC. But I am really not sure that I want to spend 300-350 hours in three months on it again.
After all, we do this unpaid, as a hobby and a service. And usually happy people are silent, while unhappy people are not. It sucks the energy out of a person.

Sorry that this answer got longer than I planned - but I think Daiman can agree with the main points of the post. And the challenges in doing leagues.

Hey Damien apologies but I'm going to have to pull out of this event. See you next time. Hope you are able to race this time and you all have a great race.

You're all on the list, guys! :D See you on track tomorrow!

Hey Daiman looks like you've forgotten to update the driver list. At least I can't find my name in the list and the timestamp of the last edit of the first post was yesterday. But I'm pretty happy to be on track again after an absence of 2 weeks due to the lack of time. :)

Hey Daiman looks like you've forgotten to update the driver list. At least I can't find my name in the list and the timestamp of the last edit of the first post was yesterday. But I'm pretty happy to be on track again after an absence of 2 weeks due to the lack of time. :)
HAHAHA! Don't worry, I haven't updated the sign up list yet - currently in a meeting and sorting out a few other bits and bobs - but I will do shortly! :laugh: Glad to have you back with us this week! :thumbsup:

Daiman, have you thought about a GT3 championiship? Every race is full grid.
One are rarely alone. But being the head-guy is surprisingly draining. I noticed it when I ran the last RDRC season some years back as well. Granted it was my choice that we made a PDF-magazine on 35-50 pages before every rally. That we created a tool that meant we could have a multi-platform (PC, Playstation and xbox) championship way before Codemasters added this as a native solution in their rally games. We also had over 400 entries for that championship. And we kept on making own apps to ease the workload. Still I think we spent on avg. 40hours per event.

I didn't run a single club event until Covid-19 after that. Barely participated in any club races anywhere. And never touched DiRT Rally again after that championship.

It is rewarding, and I am sure after the initial relief that it was all done. I am sure @Daiman Patel felt happy of what he achieved. But I am also sure that he, like me, now know the insane amount of work to get a league of a certain level running. And also, I guess - like me, he wouldn't like to run a half-arsed league just to do it. I know that I don't want to do anything that's not as good as the last RDRC. But I am really not sure that I want to spend 300-350 hours in three months on it again.
After all, we do this unpaid, as a hobby and a service. And usually happy people are silent, while unhappy people are not. It sucks the energy out of a person.

Sorry that this answer got longer than I planned - but I think Daiman can agree with the main points of the post. And the challenges in doing leagues.
You have hit the nail on the head @Ole Marius Myrvold, and echoed my sentiments and thoughts exactly. I completely agree with the points that you have made about the challenges of running a championship.

Leagues, unlike club events, usually involve multiple persons working in different capacities, but as the head organiser and lead coordinator you will find yourself putting a lot of time into ensuring that everything runs smoothly, and that is in addition to any of your other tasks. Technical assistance (for participants), software management (on the server - the dedicated server itself, real-time weather, live timing, logging in case of a server crash, etc.), administration (driver & team registration, driver line-up changes, car "alterations", formulating and updating rules, reviewing incidents, etc.), skin pack creation, race direction & stewarding, post race analysis / review for the front page article(s), and processing the results were all also my responsibility. I would often find league related tasks interfering with work, and then it would continue when I got home and also at the weekends. I was easily putting 30+ hours a week into running the RDLMS, and this was in addition to my actual day job. It was not a fun time...

Like @Ole Marius Myrvold, this almost completely put me off racing. The following year I continued to organise club events, but only because there were not enough staff members to do it. By the middle of that year I had stopped, and I only started again this year to essentially help out. But, to be completely honest, I still don't really enjoy it... this is why you don't see me racing much in these events.

I was definitely relieved when the season had ended, and though I may have initially said that we will start planning for next season soon my head was screaming "no". Overall I felt pretty happy with what we had achieved, but this only added to the pressure for any subsequent seasons. As @Ole Marius Myrvold has said, you want to do your best to ensure that the next season is at least as good as, if not better than the last. So that would mean having to put in just as much, if not more time and effort... something that I just didn't have, physically or mentally. And I definitely wouldn't want to organise a league if I couldn't give it my all - that wouldn't be fair on the participants, or anyone else involved in the championship.

Apologies, my answer is also longer than I had intended, but this is ultimately why I will not be organising any leagues, and the reason for (most of) my early race retirements. I don't mind running weekly club races for you guys, but the overall joy of racing for me has gone.

Thanks for your long answers both of you @Daiman Patel and @Ole Marius Myrvold, it's always good to put words on thoughts and share them.

On other hands, will simracing.gp automates management of series or leagues as we may see on some others plateforms ? Maybe not the best place to discuss about that, I have to find the simracing.gp topic :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 116 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 431 39.7%