rF2 S397 GT3 @ Abu Dhabi 2021 - Fri 13 Jan 2022

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
That was a really awesome race, guys! I think I was in a fight for position for almost the entire race, it was so cool to see the big line of cars positioning themselves for attack and defense for lap after lap in the early race :)

When people use custom liveries. If you want to change livery at some point, but use it on the same car, then it is important to change the name of the livery. As people download the name you've given, and if you've kept the same name, the new livery won't be downloaded as the old one will be recognized under that name.
This is something I knew, but didn't think of until people mentioned I raced a pink car...

This was the one I was supposed to use :p And the one that I saw in my game.
VEbmYKU.jpg

@Ole Marius Myrvold
Just a question for clarification, because I want to be in the clear: are we allowed to use the flashing lights during the race? I was surprised someone told me not to, but if it's not allowed, than I'd like to apologize because I was using it quite liberally.

Other than that, fantastic racing with @Ronny van Rooij , sorry for the one contact at the end of the back straight. I had a pleasure of an entire race of fighting with you and with @Jimlaad43 , amazing.

Last edited:
@Ole Marius Myrvold
Just a question for clarification, because I want to be in the clear: are we allowed to use the flashing lights during the race? I was surprised someone told me not to, but if it's not allowed, than I'd like to apologize because I was using it quite liberally.

Other than that, fantastic racing with @Ronny van Rooij , sorry for the one contact at the end of the back straight. I had a pleasure of an entire race of fighting with you and with @Jimlaad43 , amazing.

So, it is really only covered in league rules and not racing club rules. I've underlined the rule.

6.4 Car Signals
Some of the cars come with a horn and/or headlights. To prevent drivers abusing these to distract their opponents or display their frustration such means of communication are not allowed. There are three exceptions to this rule.

A) A faster driver may flash his headlights once at a slower driver to warn him he is about to be lapped. Excessive flashing is not permitted.
B) When it gets dark the headlights may, or even must go on until the moment there is sufficient light to switch them off again.
C) Flashing headlights and hitting the horn excessively is allowed after the race has finished.

So, technically it's legal, but excessive flashing should be avoided. Now and then is ok. But not every lap etc. But again, it's technically no rules against it, but would prefere to keep the flashing low. Especially at night racing that may push framerates for some as it is.

So, it is really only covered in league rules and not racing club rules. I've underlined the rule.

6.4 Car Signals
Some of the cars come with a horn and/or headlights. To prevent drivers abusing these to distract their opponents or display their frustration such means of communication are not allowed. There are three exceptions to this rule.

A) A faster driver may flash his headlights once at a slower driver to warn him he is about to be lapped. Excessive flashing is not permitted.
B) When it gets dark the headlights may, or even must go on until the moment there is sufficient light to switch them off again.
C) Flashing headlights and hitting the horn excessively is allowed after the race has finished.

So, technically it's legal, but excessive flashing should be avoided. Now and then is ok. But not every lap etc. But again, it's technically no rules against it, but would prefere to keep the flashing low. Especially at night racing that may push framerates for some as it is.
Yeah, than I need to apologize for today, as I wasn't fully aware of that, which is my fault. I was intentionally using it to distract my opponents, not out of disrespect but rather just mimicking the behavior of real racing drivers. I guess that tool is no longer at my disposal. Dang it. :p

Last edited:
@Ole Marius Myrvold
Its illigal in most simracing leagues (but not here, which I strongly dissagree with), but...really? Imagine the other way around. Its annoying, uncalled for (especially in a club race) and very taxing on the system of the guy(s) in front. We discussed it on Discord during the race, you werent popular among a few guys and honestly, I dont blame them. Is that the way you want to race in a club race? In 22 years of simracing, I've come across 2 other guys doing this, one got booted from the server, the other got wrecked intentionally. So yes, its extremely unpopular.

Last edited:
Other than that small pile of negativity ^, it sounded like it was a good race all around. I was surprised to see Roony on pole and keeping pace in the race, you just need to go when the flag turns green mate ;).
We all had a good laugh with Steve putting it on the roof 2 or 3 times, then using the wrong pitlane :p

Last edited:
Its illigal in most simracing leagues (but not here, which I strongly dissagree with), but...really? Imagine the other way around. Its annoying, uncalled for (especially in a club race) and very taxing on the system of the guy(s) in front. We discussed it on Discord during the race, you werent popular among a few guys and honestly, I dont blame them. Is that the way you want to race in a club race? In 22 years of simracing, I've come across 2 other guys doing this, one got booted from the server, the other got wrecked intentionally. So yes, its extremely unpopular.
I politely disagree with you on using it in general. I think just as it's not forbidden in the real racing, it shouldn't be forbidden in simracing, just based on the rules.
I agree it's distracting, that's exactly why I was using it, it's a tool. It's a separate story when it comes to the PC performance, because it really can be taxing on some systems, and I'd rather see it disallowed for this reason and not for a reason which it exactly is used for in real racing.

But rules are rules, and I was - unintentionally although objectively - not following it.

Edit: Well... The guy who was complaining in the chat was the same who was overtaking off the track after outbraking himself and almost hitting another guy, so... He's unpopular in my book as well :p

Last edited:

I have to somewhat agree with Dastan really. It is a tool to be used in terms of distracting, and if it's not outlawed then use it.
I also agree with you in terms of club racing and not doing it.

Regardless, it's cleared up now, so that's good! Moving on to the next race! :)

We need to get some frustration out now and then ;)

Thanks again for the race at all, despite it was not a good one for me.
Quali was ok with a sixth place but the race was tough. I choosed the Medium tyres and they never got on temperature. A problem i have with many cars in many Sims, but yesterday it ended up that i was hunted down from the wild and hungry pack behind me like an old deer from lap 6-7. In lap 10 finally i got "murdered" in half a lap...:(
A spin after a small contact smashed me than 8 or 10 sec behind that group of cars.

The car felt in general not bad, i was just the whole race fighting with a midcorner understeering.
Really have to work on my driving, the setup and strategy:whistling:

Last edited:
@Ole Marius Myrvold

In Practice and the day, yeah flashing the headlights is fine because it causes no issues. However, with this specific set of circumstances it was a different reason than a distraction I asked you to stop.
With the high-load of the track and the night, my PC was barely able to keep a stable FPS and it would get lower in various positions on the track, one of those being the braking points you were flashing the lights in. The distraction of it is by-the-by, but the FPS fluctuations caused by trying to render those lights on all the surfaces of the grandstands was not cool, hence the request to stop.

In practice and qualifying, using lights to signify you're on a hotlap to someone who is not is fair game. Using them to help with blue flags in the race is OK, if a bit pretentious. This was excessive and caused more issues than just focus.

I won't say never flash the lights, because I do it too and it would be massively hypocritical, but there is a time and place and if I'm told to stop I will.

Edit: Well... The guy who was complaining in the chat was the same who was overtaking off the track after outbraking himself and almost hitting another guy, so... He's unpopular in my book as well :p
I got a deserved drive through for the corner cut, but the corner before I had been barged out of the way by a car which had used me as a brake on the apex, and wasn't looking like they were going to give the place back like the Golden Rule says. I just wanted to be overtaken properly becuase the race had been fun up until that point, so I gave you two the chance to do it properly. Once I spun off and lost the places legitimately, I went and took my penalty as deserved.

urggg think i will have to give up, this track dosent like me... 2 game crashes at exactly the same palce tonigt
Colin, do you have a AMD GPU? I've been having a bunch of issues with rF2 ever since I got a new PC with a RX6750XT. Turns out after a lot of trial and error and googling that it's the AMD driver. I've downgraded to 22.5.1 and that fixed all my issues. I can now keep bumping the Aston over all the kerbs without rF2 crashing.

Why? I've got no clue but it's worth a shot for anyone suffering from the same issues.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.3%