rF2 S397 Endurance @ Dijon-Prenois - Fri 03 Dec 2021

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Rules are rules , stop and go, all my fault .
Thx for the tag , but was unfortunately not available for the race

Rules are rules, but it's not supposed to be like it in club racing :) I honestly believed it wasn't like it. And if it is depending on mod/track, then it is even worse.

@Ole Marius Myrvold - you said it was going to be 5 mins test race - and you didn't do it, then you said rolling start - and it wasn't. I appreciate your effort, but making changes in the very last moment and not testing it, is just not the best decision. I was driving a formation lap, as you said, and everybody passed me. Was confused as to what was going on.

The test race was before practice (so before 20:00 UTC) but when I asked on the server about it, the two that answered there both answered "same" and no-one on Discord was bothered either, all felt it would be likely to work as the setting was set as.

I also genuinely believed it was a rolling start. What's happened here,- and this is not an excuse, but an explanation,- is that during our problems with the server update, which is now sorted. (this is why I answer this so late, I've been sitting on remote desktop for some hours with the server-PC). Anyway, during Thursday, we only had one server that we could run. Usually we have 5 options. (Server 1 is Friday, Server 2 is Thursday, 3 is backup, 4 is testing, 5 is my random server). Now I had to set up Server 1 (Friday) for the Thursday event. And as we have used the servers for so long, we have fine-tuned settings. This meant Thursday-settings had to be imported to the Friday-server.
When the servers were fixed, this had to be reverted. I remembered everything, from the .json files, specific settings, and the server settings as in server name, race-time, qual time etc. Except for that dropdown-menu with "standing", "formation" and "rolling". That was left on standing. If I had known, I wouldn't said formation lap on the server.

I genuinely was looking on the position-line, and on the scoring, to try to see if anyone had issues due to the standing start, and genuinely, didn't think anyone was going slow.
It's the one advantage of Discord, it's easier to convey such messages/issues and easier to restart. Though, if I had seen that someone did have issues I would've restarted the race.

And I'm genuinely sorry. I don't really care that much about my own driving in these events. I would rather have loads of people having fun, than me doing well. It really does hurt when things happen, both when people have technical issues and accident. But even more when I could've done something to change it. I am honestly really sorry about what happened.

Quite the race I must say - lead battle, hard track, difficult traffic, a high risk/high reward pit entry and a surprise starting procedure :p
After the less than ideal start, I forgot about the cold brakes which I usually warm up before we reach T1, so I sailed wide and lost 4 or 5 positions. Managed to get back to the lead fairly quickly and settled into a rythm as always. Kept an eye on Ole's pace which was similar to mine most of the race and just focused on managing the gap while threading the needle through the GT's. Lost concentration at one point and duelly outbraked myself and then spun trying to correct me error. That meant Ole got past but I soon repassed him after some great side by side racing.
The laps wore on and soon found myself heading rapidly for the pitstop. Aced the entry, stop and exit and came out 12 secs ahead of Ole after he made his stop. Quickly realized he most likely would show himself in the rearview mirror near the end with new tires vs my old, 60% tires and as it turned out, he did, just MUCH faster than I had hoped for. Getting stuck behind GT's for the entire first sector didnt help either as that lost me another 3 secs. The gap ebbed and flowed depending on who hit traffic and where. In the end we were seperated by 0.3. Great race Ole, enjoyed that :thumbsup:

I thought you forgot that we were doing the long track at the point where I passed you, looked like you came from the short-track! Haha! :)
Into T1, was kinda Villeneuve-Arnoux, at least for that corner, I just couldn't stick with it.

I didn't ace the pit entry, I was very very careful. The one pit-entry I had during warmup gave me a DT, so I was scared. Refueled 6l too much, and had a couple of half-spins trying to catch up with you! Not that any of that made any difference. I don't think I would've been able to pass you, it was a track that was difficult making a move on. Not at least when I ran more wing than you. Thanks for the setup, but I did end up with my almost entirely default one.

It was a really fun and intense race :D

Apoligies to Luca (I think it was you) in the multicolored Ferrari which I grazed in the rear causing you to get out of shape. Misunderstanding; I thought you'd go the other way.
And also for the dodgy passes here and there, this track is extremely difficult to make a clean, quick pass on, especially with someone right on your tail.

Ye, it was a fun track. But won't use it for this kind of multiclass racing again. Worth the experiment though :)

I genuinely was looking on the position-line, and on the scoring, to try to see if anyone had issues due to the standing start, and genuinely, didn't think anyone was going slow.
I think Maciek came out the worst, cause he lost 4 positions starting to the formation lap, and from the Pole in GTE was demoted to P4, and backing up the cars behind him, like myself, who didn't know what was going on.
But even more when I could've done something to change it. I am honestly really sorry about what happened.
I think the rule of a thumb should be: if the Admin announces something that later doesn't happen, for whatever reason, the server should be restarted. I am used to driving in a league environment, where Admin's word is sacred. So I followed your guidance and drove a formation lap, same with Maciek. By the end of the "formation lap" I was last...

All in all, I'm looking forward to racing next week.

Apoligies to Luca (I think it was you) in the multicolored Ferrari which I grazed in the rear causing you to get out of shape. Misunderstanding; I thought you'd go the other way.
no problem, that was the least of my problems:laugh:...
I had a terrible setup, very unstable, I choose the wrong tyre, I was very slow, and also loose concentration since the start of what I thought was a formation lap, I didn't know what to do, I drove slowly for half a lap...

Was a great start for me, went from 5th to 2nd wondered how i was keeping up with the leaders after being demolished in qualy, by the sounds of it you guys were all on mediums!!

I think Maciek came out the worst, cause he lost 4 positions starting to the formation lap, and from the Pole in GTE was demoted to P4, and backing up the cars behind him, like myself, who didn't know what was going on.

I think the rule of a thumb should be: if the Admin announces something that later doesn't happen, for whatever reason, the server should be restarted. I am used to driving in a league environment, where Admin's word is sacred. So I followed your guidance and drove a formation lap, same with Maciek. By the end of the "formation lap" I was last...

All in all, I'm looking forward to racing next week.

Ouch. Again, I didn't realize people lost out other than the cars being hard to start from a standstill :(

Like I said, had I seen/known that people had "issues" (in a lack of better words), I would've restarted. Probably restarted with a standing start though, or possibly done a manual formation lap after race start.

I've learned though. If something like this happens again. I'll do a quick "restart warmup" and we'll take it from there!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%