S Rating Woes

Sometimes I just dont know about this S Rating I have to say. I know it serves its purpose but sometimes UGH!

I just had my best race in a tin top, granted that isnt saying a whole lot being the noob that I am but it was my best race so far. Finished 5th. Raced the 6th place car to the line and beat him by about 2 feet so I was thrilled. I might have even squeeled like a school girl at one point but I wont go into that but because someone hit me in the back end at the beginning of the race and then later on I had to put two tired off to avoid hitting someone who spun and was sitting in the middle of the track I actually lost .02.
I know that isnt much but come on whats a guy supposed to do? haha

so UGH! on the S Rating!

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

I have had races like that too... Sometimes you do the better thing but still get nailed for it... lol... Sometimes I wonder if they could make a "hitbox" on the cars like they do first person shooters. However have the hitbox on the front of the car in for sure showing that "You" hit someone instead of them hitting you. I'm sure they have thought about this but I don't know.

... Sometimes I wonder if they could make a "hitbox" on the cars like they do first person shooters. However have the hitbox on the front of the car in for sure showing that "You" hit someone instead of them hitting you...

The problem with a "hit box" is there are way too many scenarios where the person that "does the hitting" is not at fault e.g. car#1 spins car#2 can't avoid and hits car#1. Car #2 gets dinged with incident points when it's clearly car#1's "fault", but car#1 gets off scott free. The complexity of accurately programming a "fair" fault attribution system given the virtually infinite racing incident scenarios is mind boggling. The "everybody's at fault system" raises the awareness of driving safety, if you're in an incident it's your fault.

The nasty thing about safety rating that it compromises your ability to take it to the edge. My solutions:

Either 1) Learn to build in a little bit of a reserve and then go meet the edge of that.
Or 2) Go tour mode until you get A license and then stop caring about it (untill you drop near 1.00 of course).

My iRating jumps up and down between 2.00 and 4.00 nowadays, but if I hit a 1x, so be it. It's not that big an issue. The thing that annoys me more is that the 1x means your lap is of the record or your TT-streak is done for. ;)

I'd recommend trying to push it up to 4.99 then you don't need to worry about it. I've been at 4.99 for a while now, even when I got 9 incidents in two races I didn't drop below 4.99 at A. Otherwise just try and ignore it, unless you use 1.xx in a race you can do another race and gain it all back easily. Even if you don't want to do that just do a few clean 30 min TT's and you'll get some more SR.

iRating however you should just let it change constantly. While you may have a few bad races and drop a lot you'll end up gaining it back eventually.

@ Yoeri - The TT incidents can be annoying but its there to stop people from gaining an advantage by cutting or wallriding.

LOL, I did most of my SR with TT... It is only recently that I start to do some official races now and again :) N00b me.
Btw, doing TT around Spa wonders me about the strange borders. On some run-offs you can drive full over, and some you are immediately punnished with x1. Hope this is still ongoing development and it will be tweaked in the end.

iRating however you should just let it change constantly. While you may have a few bad races and drop a lot you'll end up gaining it back eventually.

@ Yoeri - The TT incidents can be annoying but its there to stop people from gaining an advantage by cutting or wallriding.
I agree with you, James. The iRating is an up and down thing, but as long as you finish your races you will likely have more of it at the end of the week than what you begun with.

As for the TT. I don't mean to say it should not be there. I was just pointing out I screwed myself over a couple of times in the past few weeks. :D

As i see with a lot of new iRacing drivers they are way to hard working the numbers when they just start driving there.

Dont think about you safety rating, go out on track and drive, you have some bad sr results and you will get some good sr races.
The more you get yourself worked up on the numbers (weither it be SR or IR) the more it will ultimately work against you.

Lars Strijdonck
As i see with a lot of new iRacing drivers they are way to hard working the numbers when they just start driving there.

Dont think about you safety rating, go out on track and drive, you have some bad sr results and you will get some good sr races.
The more you get yourself worked up on the numbers (weither it be SR or IR) the more it will ultimately work against you.​

Rhys Gardiner
I've found that one of the unwritten rules of iRacing is to never say you are in a race for SR. If you do, you WILL get pummelled. Murphy's law my friends. :)

I found these to be very true!!! My SR nowdays goes from 2.56 to just recently to 4.89 back down to 4.08 for the A license... lol... I just don't worry about it any longer unless it gets down below a 2.5... Then I'll start really watching what is going on.​

All good advice and information thank you all.
I would rather not even think about it because I know I always try and race clean SR rating or not and I know it would be almost impossible to have a rating system based on blame.
I am sure the current system is the best that can be put in place right now. The good thing now is that I can race in higher class races where the drivers seem to care a lot more about what they are doing and seem to be a lot more gentlemanly so I am happy about that.

one way to build up SR when needed without influencing your other ratings is to join unofficial races with less then 8 drivers total, no points for season, no iRating adjustment but SR counts and if I am not mistaking counts in full amount

see example: http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=3639636

e
dit: on the second thought doesn´t look like full amunt of SR, more like 0,33 like TT
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=3640837

c
ompared to official race:
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=3640428

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back