RX580 sufficient for VR?

The RX580 is on par with the GTX 1060, which more VR gamers will able to relate too. Honest answer, not really. Will it work, yes at low and blurry settings, or running titles at 45fps. My honest opinion is it's not really powerful enough. But there are some people out there who do run a budget GPU with VR and are okay with it, and get used to the compromise.

I have the RX580 and for me it’s an underrated GPU. I ran rfactor2 in oculus rift with medium setting, SS-1.3 and it’s fine. With AC I can even run higher settings, but I race almost exclusively rfactor2.

I have the RX580 and for me it’s an underrated GPU. I ran rfactor2 in oculus rift with medium setting, SS-1.3 and it’s fine. With AC I can even run higher settings, but I race almost exclusively rfactor2.

Fine can be subjective to the gamer, which is why I added my caveat in my comment regarding compromise. You're running at 45fps, correct? I think it's important to have full disclosure as it can be misleading.

Fine can be subjective to the gamer, which is why I added my caveat in my comment regarding compromise. You're running at 45fps, correct? I think it's important to have full disclosure as it can be misleading.
I really don’t care about FPS. For me the fluidity is more important. Some times you can have 90fps but the game isn’t fluid at all. With my RX580 and with medium setting ( only shadows on low) I have rfactor2 running fluid in VR.

I really don’t care about FPS. For me the fluidity is more important. Some times you can have 90fps but the game isn’t fluid at all. With my RX580 and with medium setting ( only shadows on low) I have rfactor2 running fluid in VR.

90fps is fluid. Why do you not think this? Give context of what you mean and your experience of this? Another thing, are you hotlapping with no other cars, or how many AI cars can you race against with your GPU. These are important factors as they affect performance.

I can notice the difference between 45fps and 90fps in VR, 90fps is smoother compared to 45fps, and 45fps is subpar for me to enjoy VR. And I'm assuming you are running at 45fps and are used to it and happy which is great. I'm sure that is good for El-ahrairah to know that rFactor2 can be playable on a RX580.

Last edited:
One thing I'll add about VR at 45fps is that it introduces some lag. This can be demonstrated by moving your wheel rapidly, the real movement of your wheel trails behind the wheel motion in VR. It's the same for any VR game, sim racing or not.

I have a 1070 paired with a i7 8086K. For most sims it's perfectly acceptable and I can run 90fps, SS, everything maxed out on last gen sim titles like AC and rFactor2.

For next gen titles like ACC, I'm struggling. I'm somewhere around medium settings. I spent all my money going for a good CPU because the CPU was always the bottleneck with VR. Now it looks like my 1070 is the bottleneck.

Yes, the RX580 still cuts it for VR, but I'd recommend the 8GB Version, not the cheaper 4GB, although at the bare minimum. I'd wait a few months for the next gen 7nm consumer gaming GPU's around the corner - about summer this year for the RX580 successor. The Radeon VII (2nd Gen Vega) has already arrived.

Yes, the RX580 still cuts it for VR, but I'd recommend the 8GB Version, not the cheaper 4GB, although at the bare minimum. I'd wait a few months for the next gen 7nm consumer gaming GPU's around the corner - about summer this year for the RX580 successor. The Radeon VII (2nd Gen Vega) has already arrived.
Yes, I have the 8gb version.

Appreciate all the feedback. Some further context. Most of my play is multiplayer RF2 and AMS, the latter i dont think even has VR support (yet?). I only really ever play AC in solo play.

From the sounds of it RX580 8GB is probably sufficient for my needs. Vega cards pretty much double the price compared to the RX580 (at least in my country), so it sounds difficult to justify the cost.

@NRG-R9T @Turk @Jeremy Ford @wajdi

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing