Russian GP Debrief: Hamilton Inches Closer to The Ultimate Prize

hamilton.jpg

A new track made for a familiar story as Lewis Hamilton once again got the better of Nico Rosberg.

Besides Vladmir Putin, no one has more reason to smile than Lewis Hamilton after Sunday.

On a day when Mercedes wrapped up the 2014 constructor's championship, Hamilton comfortably took the chequered flag to record his ninth win of the season. Conversely, teammate and championship rival Nico Rosberg struggled to match Hamilton throughout the weekend, and the German proved to be his own worst enemy after a mistake on lap 1 forced him to pit immediately and fight his way through the rest of the field for second. Being able to successfully mitigate the damage by driving a Pirelli-era record of 52 laps on the same set of tyres will be little comfort for Rosberg, as Hamilton leaves Sochi with a 17-point lead -- and in the eyes of many, one hand on the championship.

Unfortunately, the first Russian Grand Prix since 1914 provided little to give attendees of the Sochi circuit their Rouble's-worth, but there was still plenty to talk about, so let's get to it.

Same Instrument, Different Tune for Hamilton and Rosberg

With four wins on the trot for Lewis Hamilton, is Nico Rosberg simply losing out to his rival, or is the German actually starting to lose it?

On a weekend where Rosberg found himself bested by Hamilton in four out of the five sessions (the only exception being practice 1), it's become increasingly apparent which of the two Mercedes drivers is in championship-winning form right now. Believe it or not, the last time Rosberg found himself on the top step of the podium was six races ago in Germany, so what's changed since?

The obvious answer is that Hamilton has managed to avoid the reliability issues that plagued him in the first half of the season -- it's not a controversial opinion to state that Hamilton is the faster driver, so it follows he'd win more given the reliability he's had recently. The thing is, for as good a purple-patch as Hamilton finds himself in, it doesn't explain why Rosberg has seemed so intent on blowing his own chances.

Case-in-point was Sunday's first-lap lock-up heading into turn 2. Was Rosberg right to have a go heading into that corner? Absolutely. In fact he might have pulled the move off had he not out-braked himself, but not only did he out-brake himself, he did it in the most ham-fisted, Maldonado-ish way possible, skidding 60 metres off-line and completely destroying that set of Pirelli's. The move itself wasn't desperate, but it certainly looks like he panicked, and (not for the first time) it cost him the chance of an increasingly-valuable race victory.

As such, his charge back through the field gets lost in the noise, and therein lies the paradox of Nico Rosberg as the 2014 championship heads to its conclusion. After that mistake he proceeded to prove once again that he is an excellent racing driver, one capable of managing his car and making on-track moves as needed, not to mention he still had the outright pace at the end to hold off a hard-charging Valttieri Bottas. It all falls by the wayside to the picture of a driver who seems to have an issue of keeping his brain switched-on the moment Lewis Hamilton appears, and it leaves us all a bit unsatisfied as we hope for a thrilling conclusion to a fascinating year.

With each race now, you get a greater feeling of the inevitability of Hamilton taking the 2014 Driver's Championship. Rosberg still has the time to turn things around, but as of right now, he would be wholly reliant on the reliability of his teammate's car if he were to take the title in Abu Dhabi. If double points weren't a bitter-enough pill to swallow, it would be hard to argue should he pull it off, that Rosberg would deserve it.

kvyat.jpg

Kvyat Impresses, Disappoints as the Pride of Russia Prepares for the Red Bull Spotlight

From GP3 to replacing a four-time world champion, it's been a pretty good two years for Daniil Kvyat. Saturday showed us why we should expect great things from the Russian, Sunday showed us why they may not happen right away.

After a blistering qualifying performance saw him outperform his big brothers at Red Bull for fifth on the grid, Kvyat seemed set to further show in the race why he was deserving of his seat at the team for 2015, but instead Sunday was nothing if not a disappointment for the Russian, and Toro Rosso as a whole.

Passed at the start by teammate Jean-Eric Vergne, Kvyat found himself back in eighth by lap 2, and spent the rest of the race struggling with a car that was struggling to get anything close to its qualifying performance. A mid-tier car slipping back down the pack after such a Saturday performance is nothing new, but it would have been nice to see something from Kvyat -- his only notable moments were an off on lap 9, and a massive lockup on lap 37.

Perhaps this race wasn't the best one to judge the two Toro Rosso drivers, but it did belie what has been the case for most of this season. Kvyat, with his outright pace, is a younger, sexier option for the senior team, but has struggled to deliver any notable race results. His teammate Jean-Eric Vergne leads on the championship table 21 points to 8, and has frankly looked the better driver come race day. Perhaps that's merely a symptom of youth vs experience, and we'll see Kvyat deliver more on Sundays come 2015, but don't be surprised if it's a while before he's ready to be anything other than second fiddle.

totowolff.jpg

Mercedes the Villain as Teams Look to End Engine Freeze

Taking its show to the ex-USSR, F1 found itself dealing with another Iron Curtain in Sochi.

After a season which has seen an ever-present gulf in performance between those with a Mercedes engine and those without, prospects of a thawing to the engine freeze for 2015 took a hit with Mercedes AMG boss Toto Wolff announcing the intentions of his team, Williams and Lotus to vote against the proposal. F1 would need unanimous approval from the teams to allow such a move.

Wolff's reasoning for opposing the move is his belief it would involve increased cost to the teams, and denied it was not just to preserve his engine supplier's dominance. Ferrari boss Marco Mattiacci, who proposed the move, argues it would have no effect on costs, so the question is: who to believe?

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Development of new components is never free, but it's hard to argue the costs would be so exorbitant as to outweigh the advantages from having a more competitive package. As Hugo Boss' switch from McLaren to Mercedes showed, sponsors want to be with the fastest cars on track. That's a near-impossibility for the non-Mercedes teams. Not to mention, it's better for the sport (and therefore the fans) when two thirds of the teams aren't playing with a handicap.

If Wolff and the other Mercedes-powered teams do end up blocking this proposal, it's only going to be read as an attempt to protect their advantage. Cost cutting is a necessary measure for the survivability of the sport, but there has to be a sport worth saving in the first place. F1 is already struggling to retain global tv audiences, and race attendance is significantly down for most races, hindering the sport's competitiveness would be doing its marketers no favours.

After his recent run, can Rosberg even be a deserving champion this year? Is Kvyat the right man for Red Bull in 2015? Do cost concerns outweigh the need for a thawing of the engine freeze? Sound off below.

Last edited:
The first five races showed that Hamilton is faster, he was dominating Nico. In Monaco the pole was the factor that brought Nico the win. The circumstances of the pole will never be known... Strange Pole. In Canada both AMG's had problems. Nico was in front but Lewis came closern until he retired. In Austria Lewis has thrown it away in Quali for the first time in that season. 2nd place. Silverstone he won again, Germany was Nicos.
Since Hungary we've got the same thing as at the start of the season. In Hungary Lewis won against Nico (He started from behind (AGAIN), Belgium was... You know that story, in Monza Nico failed it again, after that 3 Lewis wins.

In my opinion only Lewis deserves the title. He leads though he had more retirements, he was dominating really much races. Nico has thrown too many victories away.

The Russian GP was so boring I very nearly didn't bother reading the debrief, but glad I did. nice write up.

I was a little disgusted by what could really be see as a 100 million dollar photo op for Putin.
Have we ever before seen a deputy prime minister stand next to Charlie Whiting and start the race?
Have we ever seen the guy who wrote the cheque "hangin with" the podium-getters in their cool down room?

Did you notice the carefully staged photo op with Bernie and Putin alone chatting like confidantes and dressed identically in a VIP section except for a very fat Steven Segal top right and to my surprise Jean Claude Killy rear and left.
3 mins later the stand was full of besuited Putin acolytes. Possibly the ones who stole Rosneft and jailed its legitimate owner, or took control of Russias facebook "Vkontakte" while the owner Pavel Durov, the founder fled in fear of his freedom after two Putin backed Oligarchs sacked him and took control.

This country that any reasonable observer will conclude was complicit in the downing of the Malaysian airlines Flight 17 all of three months ago.

Complete with Eddie Jordan waxing lyrical how this event was going to be right up there with the other biggest races in F1 such as Abu Dhabi??
Oh that's right you can pay extra to be an instant icon these days.
Yep its all for sale.
In view it was quite distasteful.

Hamilton only needs to win one more race, if he wins in Austin which I am sure he will want to win, then in Brazil and Abu Dhabi he only needs to finish second to be champion and seeing how dominant the Mercs are in the race, not once have they been beaten on merit all season really he can just do what he did in Russia but probably let Nico through if he must and cruise to second in both races and become champion but then again Lewis and Brazil don't go well together, has he ever had a good result there, 2007 he lost the championship, 2008 he won the title but given how strong his car was his finishing position was poor, don't remember 2009 or 2010, 2011 he had a gearbox failure, 2012 Nico Hulkenberg aquaplaned into him & last year he hit Bottas

I was a little disgusted by what could really be see as a 100 million dollar photo op for Putin.
Have we ever before seen a deputy prime minister stand next to Charlie Whiting and start the race?
Have we ever seen the guy who wrote the cheque "hangin with" the podium-getters in their cool down room?

Did you notice the carefully staged photo op with Bernie and Putin alone chatting like confidantes and dressed identically in a VIP section except for a very fat Steven Segal top right and to my surprise Jean Claude Killy rear and left.
3 mins later the stand was full of besuited Putin acolytes. Possibly the ones who stole Rosneft and jailed its legitimate owner, or took control of Russias facebook "Vkontakte" while the owner Pavel Durov, the founder fled in fear of his freedom after two Putin backed Oligarchs sacked him and took control.

This country that any reasonable observer will conclude was complicit in the downing of the Malaysian airlines Flight 17 all of three months ago.

Complete with Eddie Jordan waxing lyrical how this event was going to be right up there with the other biggest races in F1 such as Abu Dhabi??
Yep its all for sale.
dont believe all western propaganda
the west is affraid shell will loose its gas fields in Ukrain
and they use propaganda to make putin look bad

of course he isnt an angel,,but the downed plane and mass grave are exactly on the 2 borders that mark the gas field
also ebola is in the news ..so americans can get the oil and diamonds from northern africa.

check out james corbett ,, still a REAL journalist that backs his stories with FACTS

The first five races showed that Hamilton is faster, he was dominating Nico. In Monaco the pole was the factor that brought Nico the win. The circumstances of the pole will never be known... Strange Pole. In Canada both AMG's had problems. Nico was in front but Lewis came closern until he retired. In Austria Lewis has thrown it away in Quali for the first time in that season. 2nd place. Silverstone he won again, Germany was Nicos.
Since Hungary we've got the same thing as at the start of the season. In Hungary Lewis won against Nico (He started from behind (AGAIN), Belgium was... You know that story, in Monza Nico failed it again, after that 3 Lewis wins.

In my opinion only Lewis deserves the title. He leads though he had more retirements, he was dominating really much races. Nico has thrown too many victories away.

The first 5? Hamilton dropped out of Australia with technical issues. I can't remember what they were now, it was too long ago, but I remember he dropped out.

Just to prove http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/914/

Yep its all for sale.

Eddie Jordan is a bellend (excuse my French), but he really shouldn't be in the job he's in. He's rude and he asks very inappropriate questions. Just not a likeable presenter... Now Suzi Perry, THERE'S a likeable presenter :p

Last edited:
The first 5? Hamilton dropped out of Australia with technical issues. I can't remember what they were now, it was too long ago, but I remember he dropped out.

Just to prove http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2014/914/

Eddie Jordan is a bellend (excuse my French), but he really shouldn't be in the job he's in. He's rude and he asks very inappropriate questions. Just not a likeable presenter... Now Suzi Perry, THERE'S a likeable presenter :p

I would bet that without the technical issues Hamilton would have won that GP aswell, compare it to the 4 races after that

Funny, I didnt see him in russia, but he knows his stuff. I cant really stand Suzi she is so annoying. I love the good old days of Jake, David, Eddie, Martin and Ted @ BBC F1. Was the best combo for me. Now I can choose between a twaty shouter (Crofty) with a good Co-Commentator or a good commentator voice (Ben Edwards), who always gets things wrong :(

I would bet that without the technical issues Hamilton would have won that GP aswell, compare it to the 4 races after that

Yep, that's very likely, but he didn't. He had an engine failure. Hamilton fans will have to pray that he doesn't have another engine problem, he has to be on his last one now, or at least close to his last now...

Better lead rival by at least 33 points before the last race or else if Rosberg get 1st & Hamilton 2nd then Rosberg still win the WDC 2014 by 1 point if i not mistaken.

I thought it was double points for everyone, if so the leader only needs 14 points
So double point for everyone in the last race ?? I thought only for the 1st place :O_o:
But if the leader get 2nd then he has 14+36 points = 50 and then the winner get 25x2 =50 too.
Looks like a tie to me. May be lead by 15 points is better if actually everyone get double point.

So double point for everyone in the last race ?? I thought only for the 1st place :O_o:
But if the leader get 2nd then he has 14+36 points = 50 and then the winner get 25x2 =50 too.
Looks like a tie to me. May be lead by 15 points is better if actually everyone get double point.
I meant the leader in the championship only needs 15 points gap then can settle for second but for Lewis he actually only needs 14 because on count back he will beat Rosberg because Hamilton has won 9 and it is impossible for Rosberg to win 9 races this year with the amount of races left

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 155 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 151 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 217 14.3%