Running Out of Hard Drive Space - What to Do?

My simming (Win10) computer has a 1T drive in it, and is running out of space. (Only about 72 Gigs Free as I write this...). 99% of the drive is made up of the Windows OS and racing sims (most of which are Steam-based). Physically, I'm not sure whether I have space for a 2nd drive.

With new sims on the horizon (ie - AMS2; GT3 (fingers crossed) and who knows what else), I'm sure that I'll be needing more HD space soon. So what are my options?

1. Assuming that I can fit a second drive, how would that affect future installations of Steam-based sims? (I don't recall being given an option on where to install to when I install a sim from Steam...).

2. If I cannot fit a 2nd drive, I assume that my only option is to replace the existing 1T drive with a larger (1.5T or 2T?) drive, right?. (Note: I'd upgrade to an SSD.) Are there any other options for this scenario?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which way to go with this. Any links to recommended solutions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

• Deleted member 197115

Steam/Settings/Download/Steam Library Folders. You can add additional destinations for downloaded games.
Try SpaceSniffer to find out what consumes HDD space. Run as Admin.

I recently replaced my 1Tb gaming SSD with a 2Tb SSD. Then up updated my smaller boot drive with the 1Tb gaming drive.

I used Acronis Backup to copy my boot drive to the larger drive, than I just swapped the drive over. For the game drive I just copied the files over, removed the original drive, relettered the new drive to be the same as the old drive. Made sure Steam and Oculus pointed to the new drive. It was a very smooth transition.

You said you have no room for a new drive. Can I assume that you can still run a SATA and power cable to a drive that is hanging free?

My PC has room for plenty of drives, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Does your motherboard have a M2 slot ?
Entry level SSD have got real cheap
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42639/adata-su650-2-5in-sata-ssd-120gb
Once you use a fresh M2 OS you can never go back lol

That will seperate OS from everything else in case of failure

If you don't have a M2 slot on motherboard .....
I find it hard to believe you could fit only 1 Sata , open it up have a look
Everything but a mini / micro cases should have 2 x 3.5" bays

If you don't have 2 bays I would buy another tower
I don't like idea of relying on a single HDD.... you could lose everything

I use a 60GB partition for Windows and it still has 50% space
My W10 Home 64bit retail setup is 29GB .....including all apps

I won't put a mechanical drive near my tower these days
( 4th option ) I use a USB3.0 dual docking bay that keeps my 12TB of Sata cool and no messy wires in case
I would need 8 leads just for them when I only ever use one at a time in the dock
Of course you need to have enough data that 1 TB + is purely backup which obviously you not got ;)

Even with trueimage it would be messy dividing OS and apps so I would put fresh OS on new SSD or a small partition on the 1TB ( to do that you will need 1 TB of space )

Steam, Origin, etc. you can just copy anywhere they will still work with new OS any partition

Steam takes multiple "libraries" that you can place where you want them, and then you can tell game installations where to go, and move installations.

Whatever you do, don't do USB.

Yes the only thing you use USB for is backup ;)
3 Steam using content manager and ovgme

STEAM.jpg

More important to me is being 101% confident with my method I can do fresh OS with every t crossed in say under 2 hours, for that I need a huge amount of prepped backup or it would take me 24+

I think that is what worries the majority of users, they have no system, order or method and it takes too long so they use the same partition for years

Easiest would be buy 2TB and graft it all with TrueImage or other app as suggested
Then you can fresh format old 1TB and do a fresh OS partitioning smaller C:\
and gradually work everything back to it, either way you would have 2 working OS for a while
*** Thing is if you just need 1 TB now a extra 2TB is a little overkill

Better for me would be buy $20 SSD for just OS and a 2nd 1 TB, again gradually move all apps and sims off the old 1TB, again you would have 2 OS for time being till you sure.......course depends if you have 2 spare drive bays

Last edited:
As someone mentioned above this is how I used to use drives would not fit in case by running leads through water cooling holes in back of tower, that way they are just as fast as in
You can buy back plates to do this as well
IMG-0134.jpg

Running external on SATA without a case is better than USB, except that USB cases usually have adequate cooling. I would put loose harddrives on some kind of sieve or other open frame.

Also, not all harddrives are safe against running them upside down. Right side up and all sideways positions are always OK, but upside down is not always declared safe.

If you want to get fancy there is RAID in partitions. Get 2 harddrives, make 2 partitions on each. Run a RAID1 over one set of partitions and RAID0 over the other set of partitions. That way you get a redundant area for things that have human work in them (OS etc) and you can put things that are easy to get when lost (e.g. unmodified games) on the RAID0.

If that was the case today they would never make drive docks that stand vertical

My Orico 15 port hub runs sata at same speed as PC does, cheap hubs don't I know I have tried many.
Many people have slow transfer because they don't know you can select "Better Perfomance" in device manager. Even dock manuals never tell you that

My simming (Win10) computer has a 1T drive in it, and is running out of space. (Only about 72 Gigs Free as I write this...). 99% of the drive is made up of the Windows OS and racing sims (most of which are Steam-based). Physically, I'm not sure whether I have space for a 2nd drive.

With new sims on the horizon (ie - AMS2; GT3 (fingers crossed) and who knows what else), I'm sure that I'll be needing more HD space soon. So what are my options?

1. Assuming that I can fit a second drive, how would that affect future installations of Steam-based sims? (I don't recall being given an option on where to install to when I install a sim from Steam...).

2. If I cannot fit a 2nd drive, I assume that my only option is to replace the existing 1T drive with a larger (1.5T or 2T?) drive, right?. (Note: I'd upgrade to an SSD.) Are there any other options for this scenario?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which way to go with this. Any links to recommended solutions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Unless you're using a laptop I can't believe you can't put one more 2.5" SSD into your PC. Those things can be mounted almost anywhere in the case with the help of a double sided 3M tape since they don't have any moving parts and don't heat up a lot

Last edited:

Thanks!

Do you know the name of the case (manufacturer/model)? If the space in the case is indeed tight you might want to look at bay conversion kits, 5.25" or 3.5" & possible combinations of SSD & HDD (3.5" or 2.5").

It would be helpful lol :)

I going to assume it has 3 bays you may need a extra sata lead

If motherboard has M2 slot I would drop in a cheap 120GB like WD green still way faster then 1TB Gen3 sata ...... if no M2 I would use 120GB Sata WD Green

Disconnect 1TB and DVD if you have and install W10 from thumb drive to new SSD

Now ...before setup even finishes you are going to be like..."oh my" such will be the difference to what you used to you will never want to go back

Now buy new 1TB and extra sata lead if needed
Connect first only the new 1TB and boot that will make it D:\ drive
Shut down connect old 1TB it will become E:\ drive
TIP change DVD to O for Optical or W for writer that will keep it out the way
I always set thumbdrives to U for USB p and Virtual drive as V:\ so ....UVW
Copy your steam folder from old 1TB to new 1TB
Run as admin the Steam.exe on the new 1TB ( DONT RUN STEAM INSTALL )
It will say ignore or repair ..say repair Steam will restart, log in
Go to settings/downloads tab and click on " Steam Library Folders"
Set D:\ drive as Steam library and default
simple as that

Now graft everything else off the old 1TB you can somethings you will need to re-install but better to do for new SSD so all registry and processes are new

Once you sure everything is off old 1TB reformat it ...or keep as your old working OS till you need the space

My store:
2TB WD Blue - $85
1TB WD Blue and 120GB WD Green SSD - $94

That will give you much faster OS and 1TB of space rather then 2TB you not likely to ever need ( going by your current usage ) you will just end up putting stuff on it just to fill it :barefoot:

P.S. My OS partition is 60GB with 29GB used lol
IF you need more then a 120GB SSD for your OS you are using too much crap
Store everything you can on the on the 1TB even standalone tools no need to be on C:\

Myself ? I would partition the SSD use 60GB for OS and 60GB as second steam library with my favourite sim in it ...aka rF2

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all the responses and ideas, guys!

For now, I've decided to take the easiest route. I deleted a few sims that I never play and freed up quite a bit of HD space. I more than doubled my free space. So, I'm good for now....

Thanks again!

Depending on what your installed games do with their textures it can also be effective to turn on filesystem compression.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 295 13.4%