F1 2010 Running out of fuel on (pen)ultimate lap / Bahrain, Shakir

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I was wondering if anyone had this issue or has a suggestion how to fix it.

For three times in a row I ran out of fuel on the ultimate or penultimate lap. One time three corners before finish.

Stats:
- First season; First race - Bahrain, Shakir
- Torro Rosso
- All aid 'off'; All sims 'on'; Opponents' level professional; 50% race distance (25 laps on Shakir)
- PS3 + G25

I finished one season on a previous console (witch broke) and this thing never happened.
I tried two rather different setups, one intentionally slow, with same result. It's first race of first season so no engine maps options (standard).
Three laps before the end (23 of 25) I would get a yellow fuel warning and on the last lap I'd go into red and cruise that lap at 99km/h. Entire time the pit crew remains silent and they even continue to give the pep talk. Last time I really took it easy (about 1 sec of the pace) and didn't mess with rear wing.
I'm aware that riding style has an effect on fuel consumption but I always pushed the car without any such problems. Although, I don't redline it constantly and I take care of the engine temperature.

It's quite frustrating when an hour of carful and tense driving goes to waste.
Especially when it happens three times.

I'd like to hear some opinions before turing fuel simulation 'off'.
(AI is certainly not affected by it)

Cheers.

So do you not even have the 'cruise' setting that you could switch to for a few laps just to give you the leeway you need to get to the end. Changing gears a little earlier can save some fuel and of course preventing wheel spin as well but not sure how much that will save you.

My only guess would be to make a pit stop! Other than that i would say save the engine so that it doesn't go into red too often.
Other one would be to do it 20% for now and get it over with!

Just wanted to know... why cant we choose the amount of fuel that goes into our car?

Thanks for the input fellas.

At the end, I didn't want to risk one more DNF on the last lap, so I turned the fuel simulation off.
It turns out this gives you quite an advantage as my race pace was 2 seconds faster.
Finished a boring race 30 sec in font of 2nd man.

I could have tried to be easier on the throttle but I don't think this would've saved me 3 laps worth of fuel.

We'll see if this appears again in Melbourne.

Cheers.

I used to have this problem too, and I race 100% race distance so it's even more frustrating. I even put this problem to the testers at Codies directly (in person - I used to work there), and they had no idea.

I carefully studied my driving style. Turns out I wasn't fully releasing the throttle when braking - happened because I race two-footed in this game (right foot on throttle, left foot on brake). So I was always using a bit of throttle even when braking.

Started again and was very careful about fully removing my right foot while braking and problem solved. Takes a little more discipline, but it's good practice :)

I used to have this problem too, and I race 100% race distance so it's even more frustrating. I even put this problem to the testers at Codies directly (in person - I used to work there), and they had no idea.

I carefully studied my driving style. Turns out I wasn't fully releasing the throttle when braking - happened because I race two-footed in this game (right foot on throttle, left foot on brake). So I was always using a bit of throttle even when braking.

Started again and was very careful about fully removing my right foot while braking and problem solved. Takes a little more discipline, but it's good practice :)

That actually makes a lot of sense.
I'm defiantly guilty of not releasing the gas entirely on the braking.
I'll give it a try if the 'problem' reappears.

It's a shame there is no telemetry readings in this game.

Cheers.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years