RTX 2080 upgrade ?

Hi all,
I'm thinking of upgrading my gpu from a gtx 1080 to an rtx 2080 but would I see much of a difference in frame rates or would I better waiting a while?
my spec is:-
i7 6800 @ 4.4
gtx 1080
32gb ram

Just google '1080 vs 2080 RX benchmarks', you'll find lots of material comparing framerates. When it comes down to it, what's your current FPS with your 1080? What resolution is your monitor setup (at what Hz)?

Because all said and done, if everything seems fine to you with your current setup, a faster GPU won't improve anything that you will notice, regardless of a higher framerate.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm thinking of upgrading my gpu from a gtx 1080 to an rtx 2080 but would I see much of a difference in frame rates or would I better waiting a while?
my spec is:-
i7 6800 @ 4.4
gtx 1080
32gb ram
Are you playing at 1080p or 1440p ? Are your FPS enough ? Only you know if you need more frames 30% ish .
I know for me my 1080Ti does fine for my needs so will hang out here until i have to drop settings too far or performance for dollar over my 1080Ti is worth the purchase , (2080Ti is a rip off)

Just google '1080 vs 2080 RX benchmarks', you'll find lots of material comparing framerates. When it comes down to it, what's your current FPS with your 1080? What resolution is your monitor setup (at what Hz)?

Because all said and done, if everything seems fine to you with your current setup, a faster GPU won't improve anything that you will notice, regardless of a higher framerate.

How do I find what Hz the monitor is running at and how do I check the fps in vr?

Last edited:
Right mouse-click on the Desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel. It will be displayed under the Change Resolution section.

Thanks jeremy, its running at 60hz
I suppose I'm just looking to upgrade to safeguard myself for the future. My monitor is an LG 34" widescreen and the native res is 3440 x 1440
my game of choice atm is rf2, not sure what frame rate I'm getting in vr (rift s)

Last edited:
Thanks jeremy, its running at 60hz
I suppose I'm just looking to upgrade to safeguard myself for the future.

I'm guessing the resolution of your monitor is 1,920x1,080. And at 60Hz, a GTX 1080 is more than enough. You'll have no problem with 60fps, a faster card will make no difference in your situation, in as much as you won't see any difference. Unless you plan to upgrade the monitor to a 144hz model and higher resolution, then upgrading would have merit.

Buy and install fpsVR from Steam store. It will show VR performance, including FPS and frame times and what is holding you back (GPU or CPU)

I have downloaded the Oculus debug tool and ran it with R3E, I have set the debug tool with visible hud @ performance and Asynchronous Spacewarp disabled, In game resolution set to 1920 x 1080 and the detail level set to low with 20 ai cars on track, with these settings I'm getting a solid 80 fps (that's the max the rift s runs at) and the performance headroom @ 50% if I set the detail level at medium or high the performance headroom drops like a stone to around - 30%
is this right with my spec? I know it's not the highest but with an i7 @4.4 and 32gb of ram and a gtx 1080 surely I should get better?

I have downloaded the Oculus debug tool and ran it with R3E, I have set the debug tool with visible hud @ performance and Asynchronous Spacewarp disabled, In game resolution set to 1920 x 1080 and the detail level set to low with 20 ai cars on track, with these settings I'm getting a solid 80 fps (that's the max the rift s runs at) and the performance headroom @ 50% if I set the detail level at medium or high the performance headroom drops like a stone to around - 30%
is this right with my spec? I know it's not the highest but with an i7 @4.4 and 32gb of ram and a gtx 1080 surely I should get better?

The in-game resolution in RR is your monitor resolution, not your VR headset resolution. Your Rift is rendering at a much higher resolution. So the performance your getting is correct. I published a RR VR tuning guide, this should help you.

The in-game resolution in RR is your monitor resolution, not your VR headset resolution. Your Rift is rendering at a much higher resolution. So the performance your getting is correct. I published a RR VR tuning guide, this should help you.

So if I was thinking about safeguarding for the future, would I be better to change my mobo and cpu (i7 6700k @ 4.4) to maybe an i9 + mobo ( I can get an i7 clocked to 5.1 )or change my gpu and so I can achieve better fps in vr, or would I be better waiting.

Last edited:
Just going to point you towards the new nvidia 'super' gpu cards. They are generally cheaper and their performance is very good. The RTX 2060 Super and the RTX 2070 Super are already on the market. I'm not sure about the RTX 2080 Super. These cars were released in July.
Good luck with the upgrades!

I believe you shouldn't be shopping today for future but rather shop for the best you can today ! The future will always bring greater performance and lesser cost, so thinking a GPU today will be great for the future is pointless .
If you can wait , wait, as future products will be better (obviously) but if you need now , buy now the best you can afford ;)

Yeah, if you want the ugrade the rtx 2070 super with slight overclock has about the same performance as a 2080 non super card. For £/€/$200 less. But your GPU is fine for now. Make sure the performance gains you get are worth the investment.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 392 40.0%