RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT?

Guys, one thing could be very important when buying a vcard. Besides the needed Watts, check also if you PSU connectors can be used for the Vcard of your choice. As an sample my son did get the Power color reddevil 5700XT. Only this will come with the 2x8 connectors, while his PSU did only have one 6+2pins and on the other lead one 6pin. Very handy in my case that I could exchanged my PSU, as my GTX1080 has only the 6+8 connector needed.
But be prepared.

BTW if running VR I think Nvidia 2070s does have better cards then AMD 5700XT, read this https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4957

Depends on the price really. Like there was a deal recently on 2070 Super and you could get it for 435 quid which is a really good deal. You can get a decent 5700XT for a bit less but the 2070 Super is faster and would provide probably around a 30% boost in performance to your 1080. Basically you get 2080 non super performance at a much more affordable price. Even the 2080 Super is not that much better (roughly the same difference as from a 5700XT to a 2070 Super). If you get a good deal on a 5700XT (non blower fan), go for it as it will net you around 20~25% performance increase depending on title.

I had a 5700 XT and have to say it's a decent card... if you're not planning to use it for VR sim racing. Couple of days ago I bought 2070S I and was amazed how much I was missing out. VR performance is so much better and regular games run faster as well.

Hey Denis

I've just seen this thread, did you pull the trigger on the a new card yet?

I ask because I bought one of the Powercolor 5700 XT AMD cards. I love the card, but I bought it on a whim hoping that it may out-perform my Nvidia 1080ti under the Linux operating system. Linux supports AMD cards and usually give greater performance than AMD's own drivers under linux. These 'free' drivers are build into the linux kernel. As this card uses the latest Navi graphic chips, it is supported in the very latest kernels, but I feel the drivers need to mature a bit to perform better. It runs excellently, but does not match my 1080ti.

If I had anything less than the 1080ti, then I would keep it. It's been used for 2 days and is not quite a month old. If it needs to be registered for warranty, then I haven't done it yet.

I would let it go pretty cheaply if you are interested. It saves the hassle of ebay

Powercolor 7500XT review is here

Hey Denis

I've just seen this thread, did you pull the trigger on the a new card yet?

I ask because I bought one of the Powercolor 5700 XT AMD cards. I love the card, but I bought it on a whim hoping that it may out-perform my Nvidia 1080ti under the Linux operating system. Linux supports AMD cards and usually give greater performance than AMD's own drivers under linux. These 'free' drivers are build into the linux kernel. As this card uses the latest Navi graphic chips, it is supported in the very latest kernels, but I feel the drivers need to mature a bit to perform better. It runs excellently, but does not match my 1080ti.

If I had anything less than the 1080ti, then I would keep it. It's been used for 2 days and is not quite a month old. If it needs to be registered for warranty, then I haven't done it yet.

I would let it go pretty cheaply if you are interested. It saves the hassle of ebay

Powercolor 7500XT review is here
I've PM'd you Graham.

Software support for NVidia is generally better. ATI fatfingers their drivers more often, and NVidia offers additional functionality such as Cuda and VDPau (not that you likely need it). Debugging and profiling tools are also ahead. Some debugging tools also allow active manipulation and then you have workarounds for game problems, better clock control etc.

I would love to go back to ATI because of the better open source OS support, but I am stuck with NVidia since I actually use Cuda.

None of this really matters if you just want to straight up run a game under Windows, of course.

I have been running a 5700XT for a couple of months now and am very happy with the hardware (I paid the full £409).

RF2 = supersampling, level 5 aa, medium post fx, all reflections high, everything else max it gives a solid 75 fps at 6004*1080.

Gnarley, you're still pleased with the 5700 XT? I'm due for a GPU upgrade and have been reading over reviews of the 5600 XT, 5700 and 5700 XT. Canadian market, which shifts prices/choices a bit when comparing to NVIDIA offerrings.

I'm leaning towards the 5700 (non-XT) as some sales bring the price a fair bit below the 5700 XT ($50-$100 depending on brand/cooler style), the performance gap isn't that huge and it runs cooler. But, most benchmarks don't factor in sims. I've basically been making educated guesses based somewhere between 1440p/4k benchmarks as I'm running triple 1080p, so curious if you feel the XT would offer extra headroom that warrants the additional cost.

Something like the 2070 Super is out of the running at $650-$700.

Gnarley, you're still pleased with the 5700 XT? I'm due for a GPU upgrade and have been reading over reviews of the 5600 XT, 5700 and 5700 XT. Canadian market, which shifts prices/choices a bit when comparing to NVIDIA offerrings.

I'm leaning towards the 5700 (non-XT) as some sales bring the price a fair bit below the 5700 XT ($50-$100 depending on brand/cooler style), the performance gap isn't that huge and it runs cooler. But, most benchmarks don't factor in sims. I've basically been making educated guesses based somewhere between 1440p/4k benchmarks as I'm running triple 1080p, so curious if you feel the XT would offer extra headroom that warrants the additional cost.

I think I remember Jay or one of the other top tech tubers saying to get a 5700 and flash the xt bios to get the same performance but cheaper! Have a look it out that maybe!

Like 2stains mentioned, if you go to a normal 5700 there's the possibility to flash XT bios and have the same performance. Just make sure you buy a good reference card with a good cooler (like a PowerColor Red Dragon for example).

Like 2stains mentioned, if you go to a normal 5700 there's the possibility to flash XT bios and have the same performance. Just make sure you buy a good reference card with a good cooler (like a PowerColor Red Dragon for example).
It could net you the same performance or you can just brick the card. If you go this route, I recommend getting a dual BIOS card as it is easier to reflash the bios if you screw something up. Basically the rx5700 is an rx5700xt with waffers that did not pass QC standards to be a full fledged 5700XT so they disable some parts of it. however, they are disabled for a reason and reactivating them can make your card unstable. So ymmv.

Worth a shot, but be aware of the risks. Plus, the rx5700 already provides a really nice boost in performance and if you can get it $100 cheaper, it is definitely worth it as you won't get $100 worth of performance by choosing and XT model.

Hello Jeef.

As before, still happy with the hardware but still waiting on improved drivers along with many others.

It runs Rf2, AC, AMS, Dirt Rally, Wreckfest and Kart Kraft 3x1080@75hz all high settings or above. Good bang for buck as prices slowly come down.

While i'm very happy with the performance, driver issues make it hard to recommend right now. There are many people having problems, multi monitor set ups seem particularly troublesome. AMD have been getting a fair amount of bad press over the matter and are surely working hard on fixes which i'm sure will come but as it stands today I can't recommend a product that will likely be problematic for you.

There hasn't been a driver release for a while as AMD is responding to the situation so hopefully the next one will be better. If you are happy to wait I will install the next new driver asap and report back here.

For the record i'm running fairly trouble free on the WHQL driver from Oct '19. I have tried three of the 2020 edition drivers, two of them blackscreened mid install and bezel adjustment, usually found under Radeon Additional Settings, hasn't been available. Each time I have used DDU and gone back to Oct '19.

@miguel: Yeah, good point. I have no time for bricking cards. I've done the whole custom PC/OC thing in the past, but these days I much prefer things just work reliably. ;)

@bob: Many thanks for your feedback. Appreciated. I have come across comments re: the black screen issues -- hopefully AMD gets it sorted soon. If not, maybe some NVIDIA sales will pop up in the interim. ;)

Cheers!

Well, tried Radeon driver 20.2.1 last week and now 20.2.2. went in no problem but where is the bezel compensation adjustment for triples? Maybe i'm missing something but without that they are useless for me.

Back to 19.10.1. Possibly a green card next time...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back