AC RSS Formula Hybrid 2018 @ Spa-Francorchamps Wed 25Apr18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Great racing with you man, you really put me under pressure. I made the silly mistake of A. not making an alignment change I knew I should have for the race, B. doing a 2 lap overcut on Tariq instead of 1, leaving me with no rear tires losing 4 seconds before my stop, and C. trying to hard to chase Tariq down at the end, cooking my rears (which I gather he also did later), and losing myself a pair of positions. I was hoping for a fight to the end with you guys, especially seeing you were going long on the softs, trying to have an aggressive final stint. Consistency got it for you in the end though, good job!
Thx fella, great fun too trying to chase you down :)
Just watched your vid btw, interesting to see and hear your perspective (especially the scientology part :roflmao:).
I'm impressed how you manage to talk and drive this car at the same time. Maybe it's because I'm old, but if I start talking while racing, I instantly spin. Also when my 4 and 6 year old boys burst into the room to ask me if I'm racing, that tends to put me off too :inlove:

Anyway... the setup issue - was that less toe by any chance? I had mine at zero on the rear, but almost maxed out on the camber setting so temps were also a problem. More so at the front after the twisty middle sector, but a problem nonetheless with the ultra softs. Either way, looking forward to more F1 shenanigans :whistling:

Yeah, i use realtime app and the track map to see where i am relatively to the other cars. But still it's hard to see upcoming traffic and getting out of the way under blue flag.

Hmm, when I see blue flag I immediatly start mock my self to be such half %¤# driver, well not... :) Actually blue flags come quite early when youre bout to lapped so I have "few" corners to drive and decide safe place to to let them past. I first allways went bit panic when flags showed in my screen and was thinking where I pull out etc. But if I'm driving normally at my pace I have plenty of time to look realtime and have situational awarness and see who actually is coming behind me and let them past of me. Just my point of wiew or two cents.

Rookie.

Nice to see your race view. One thing i noticed is that your steering is so smooth and gradually. When going into corners I have to really struggle with my wheel (logitech G29) and almost turn it around to take a corner. In your video it seems like you're having a much better grip on the track. Is there a setting I'm missing on my wheel setup or is the G29 simply not good enough for this? I really have to turn it almost all the way round to get through the 1st corner. That is what's mostly costing me time.
G29 is a pretty good wheel, I think @Celtic Pharaoh uses it so if there's any secret settings he's the one to ask. Only thing I can definitely recommend is the FFBClip app:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ffbclip-app.7910/
Open it up, and leave it on Auto (should default to that but you may have to switch it from Manual when you re-load something you've driven before). It's great for making sure your force feedback is good no matter the car.

Other than that it's just practice. I put in at least 6hrs of practice getting my setup sorted before this race (far more than I'd normally do), plus I think I know the track quite well and I've played a decent amount of racing sims at this point. Unfortunately the F1 cars are very difficult to drive, and if you don't have a decent setup they can be even more difficult. One thing you're not seeing on my on-board is my pedal inputs, which for me was the most difficult thing when trying to get fast in F1 cars.

I'm definitely not the guy to come to for learning how to be quick or consistent, because I am neither, but I hear @Bobby Pennington runs an excellent drivers academy on a Monday ;)

Thx fella, great fun too trying to chase you down :)
Just watched your vid btw, interesting to see and hear your perspective (especially the scientology part :roflmao:).
I'm impressed how you manage to talk and drive this car at the same time. Maybe it's because I'm old, but if I start talking while racing, I instantly spin. Also when my 4 and 6 year old boys burst into the room to ask me if I'm racing, that tends to put me off too :inlove:

Anyway... the setup issue - was that less toe by any chance? I had mine at zero on the rear, but almost maxed out on the camber setting so temps were also a problem. More so at the front after the twisty middle sector, but a problem nonetheless with the ultra softs. Either way, looking forward to more F1 shenanigans :whistling:

Haha thanks man. And yeah talking can be really distracting. Graham being a cheeky so-and-so behind me was not exactly helpful at some points - like the first lap :p. I play a lot of different games, all of which while talking (whether that be relevant or not to what we're doing), so at this point I'm kinda used to it.

Yeah the setup issue was I popped a bit of positive toe at the rear for some stability. It was great for qualifying and for the soft tyre stint, but heated the rears just that little bit faster than the fronts to make it pretty awful pretty quick. Hence the car swapping ends at Pouhon. I spent a good few hours the previous day with a friend of mine who's an engineer getting the setup sorted with Motec telemetry and everything, something I want to get more into so saw it as a good opportunity to practice, but the one thing we didn't have time for (becuase he's doing his dissertation) was alignment. That being said, it was definitely 70% my driving, 30% setup, not the other way around. When I see Tariq's rear wing, I get a little heavy footed. :p

Hmm, when I see blue flag I immediatly start mock my self to be such half %¤# driver, well not... :) Actually blue flags come quite early when youre bout to lapped so I have "few" corners to drive and decide safe place to to let them past. I first allways went bit panic when flags showed in my screen and was thinking where I pull out etc. But if I'm driving normally at my pace I have plenty of time to look realtime and have situational awarness and see who actually is coming behind me and let them past of me. Just my point of wiew or two cents.

Rookie.
I had the same panic feeling during my first races at RD. But now I keep driving until the I see the car behind me, and if it's a safe place I pull a bit to the side of if it's a corner I'll take a wider turn, but at the end of the day, it's the overtaking cars responsibility to make a safe overtaking.
Another rookie

Nice to see your race view. One thing i noticed is that your steering is so smooth and gradually. When going into corners I have to really struggle with my wheel (logitech G29) and almost turn it around to take a corner. In your video it seems like you're having a much better grip on the track. Is there a setting I'm missing on my wheel setup or is the G29 simply not good enough for this? I really have to turn it almost all the way round to get through the 1st corner. That is what's mostly costing me time.
If it helps, I was using a G29 for this race. I didn't have any changes to the settings (apart from button bindings). However, I had good knowledge of the track before the race. At least 50 laps worth.

If it helps, I was using a G29 for this race. I didn't have any changes to the settings (apart from button bindings). However, I had good knowledge of the track before the race. At least 50 laps worth.
spa.JPG

Hehehe, i did more than 50 laps altogether, but still struggling with steering. But if I'm the only one with that issue (and nobody has a solution) then i'll accept I'm just not that good a driver :(.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back