AC RSS Formula Hybrid 2018 @ Spa-Francorchamps Wed 25Apr18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Also, thank you to everyone who was blue flagged. Not one issue and you all executed it perfectly. At one point one of you was on my tail for a good 7 laps :roflmao:
Well, not one issue ... I bumped into Tariq in La Source: I was getting tired, and maybe too confident on my brakes and since had no room to avoid him I pushed him quite hard in the turn.

Sorry again for that.:(

Yeah, had several incidents myself, but tried my best to give way to faster cars (blue flag). I still cannot figure out why you guys are so fast in this car. I managed to get a 1.49 at best, but i see others doing 1.44 laptimes. I tought i was doing quite well against the AI, but this was a different league alltogether for me. I managed to stay in the race until round 28, but then i dropped out. The frustration got the upper hand there. Sorry for that.

And of course my compliments also to @Celtic Pharaoh for setting this event up. Great work, thanks!

Last edited:
I still cannot figure out why you guys are so fast in this car. I managed to get a 1.49 at best, but i see others doing 1.44 laptimes.
Yea this car is a handful... A lot of these corners you just have to turn in and prey. You can take much more speed through corners than you think you can, you just need to reach that limit just before understeer/oversteer kicks in on every corner. MGU-K mode does play a huge part in these cars which can be a disadvantage if you’re not sure how to use it. (Up to 1.5 second difference without it.) but in race your MGU-K strategy has to be on point. I was chased down by @Oscar the entire race because of that! (Was also due to over-pressured tires, but let’s gloss over that mistake...)

It’s important that you’re careful in this car. Be consistent and avoid spinning out, then work on your speed. This way you’ll be fast, without spinning out or crashing :D

Pretty intense stuff, but great fun :p

My qualy was a bit botched, but congrats to the guys upfront who pulled out some stellar laps when it mattered.
The race was OK for the most part, aside from ending up facing the wrong way on the exit of La Source after getting too greedy in 2nd gear. Shame as this was after a concerted effort over several laps to deploy as much kers (and concentration! ;)) as possible to get within DRS range of Joseph. Then when finally on his tail at the first corner, I guess I got too excited about finally being able to go for the pass, and binned it :roflmao:

So once the leaders came out from their pitstops, that put me smack in the middle of the McLaren party - no pressure, ahem. Then surprisingly Oscar went and spun at Bruxelles and I temporarily inherited the position. Since I was slow on old knackered softs, and obviously a pitstop down, there was no point getting in the way of the leader's battle, so I lifted slightly on the back straight to let Oscar get back on with his chase.

Joseph's undercut seemed to work OK as after pitting, I came out about 7 secs behind, déjà vu! Thankfully managed to keep it clean until the end and benefited from a couple of others having mishaps ahead, so I was pretty happy in the end to come home in 3rd (or should that be the 3rd to be disqualified :p:roflmao:).

Thanks again Tariq for organising this and giving us a chance to race in these beasts. It was a big challenge, especially for an old fart like me, but great fun :D Looking forward to more of the same...

Firstly,
It was my pleasure to host. I love F1 cars myself and I'm glad to find many are the same and without you, there'd be no events so thanks for showing up and racing :)

I think we all struggled to manage the ERS on some level and the race was more about managing it properly than simply raw pace. But the challenge was nice.

Well done to Fernando Alonso @Jtshowden, Stoffel Vandoorne @Oscar and the Ham @RainhamIron on the podium :thumbsup:

We're going back to F3s next week at Misano
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/formula-3-misano-wed-02may18.150030/

But yes, definitely we'll run F1 perhaps once a month :)

Last edited:
BTW, do you guys use a rearview mirror in the car? That is one of the main concerns I have with running a race in VR: no rearview mirror. That is why it's so hard to see upcoming traffic under blue flag. I get completely lost looking for a glimps of an upcoming car with only my sideview mirrors (for which i actually have to turn my focus away from the track.

BTW, do you guys use a rearview mirror in the car? That is one of the main concerns I have with running a race in VR: no rearview mirror. That is why it's so hard to see upcoming traffic under blue flag. I get completely lost looking for a glimps of an upcoming car with only my sideview mirrors (for which i actually have to turn my focus away from the track.
I use VR also so yeah I know what you mean! There is no virtual rear view in VR (unlike rF2 where there is), so you might want to map a button to look back.
I use an app called joytokey which allows me to map the left thumbstick on my fanatec BMW rim to do this. I forget now exactly which parameter I had to map it to, but I'll check when I'm next at my PC.

Not great in VR from a pure immersion point of view to have a look back button, but a useful option nonetheless to supplement the side mirrors when you're trying to keep track of who's coming up behind you.

I use VR, and I just use Realtime to be aware of when cars are coming up to me, the car's mirrors (especially through corners as you can see more easily then), and then Helicorsa when they're very close. Seems to work fine for me.

Pretty intense stuff, but great fun :p

My qualy was a bit botched, but congrats to the guys upfront who pulled out some stellar laps when it mattered.
The race was OK for the most part, aside from ending up facing the wrong way on the exit of La Source after getting too greedy in 2nd gear. Shame as this was after a concerted effort over several laps to deploy as much kers (and concentration! ;)) as possible to get within DRS range of Joseph. Then when finally on his tail at the first corner, I guess I got too excited about finally being able to go for the pass, and binned it :roflmao:

So once the leaders came out from their pitstops, that put me smack in the middle of the McLaren party - no pressure, ahem. Then surprisingly Oscar went and spun at Bruxelles and I temporarily inherited the position. Since I was slow on old knackered softs, and obviously a pitstop down, there was no point getting in the way of the leader's battle, so I lifted slightly on the back straight to let Oscar get back on with his chase.

Joseph's undercut seemed to work OK as after pitting, I came out about 7 secs behind, déjà vu! Thankfully managed to keep it clean until the end and benefited from a couple of others having mishaps ahead, so I was pretty happy in the end to come home in 3rd (or should that be the 3rd to be disqualified :p:roflmao:).

Thanks again Tariq for organising this and giving us a chance to race in these beasts. It was a big challenge, especially for an old fart like me, but great fun :D Looking forward to more of the same...

Great racing with you man, you really put me under pressure. I made the silly mistake of A. not making an alignment change I knew I should have for the race, B. doing a 2 lap overcut on Tariq instead of 1, leaving me with no rear tires losing 4 seconds before my stop, and C. trying to hard to chase Tariq down at the end, cooking my rears (which I gather he also did later), and losing myself a pair of positions. I was hoping for a fight to the end with you guys, especially seeing you were going long on the softs, trying to have an aggressive final stint. Consistency got it for you in the end though, good job!

Great race everyone! Thanks @Celtic Pharaoh for hosting, despite the mass DQ at the end :p

I think for me this race was a lesson in management rather than outright pace. Timing the pitstop right, managing overheating tires, keeping it facing the right way. Had a great first stint, but after a disastrous pitstop phase, and pushing too hard to catch Tariq, overheated the rears and ended up having multiple spins, struggling to nurse it home (so the DQ was quite convenient really :p )

If anyone want's to watch my perspective, here's the VoD from my stream, with added commentary from my friend who was over waiting for our midnight Avengers showing (which was also good btw)

Great race everyone! Thanks @Celtic Pharaoh for hosting, despite the mass DQ at the end :p

I think for me this race was a lesson in management rather than outright pace. Timing the pitstop right, managing overheating tires, keeping it facing the right way. Had a great first stint, but after a disastrous pitstop phase, and pushing too hard to catch Tariq, overheated the rears and ended up having multiple spins, struggling to nurse it home (so the DQ was quite convenient really :p )

If anyone want's to watch my perspective, here's the VoD from my stream, with added commentary from my friend who was over waiting for our midnight Avengers showing (which was also good btw)

Nice to see your race view. One thing i noticed is that your steering is so smooth and gradually. When going into corners I have to really struggle with my wheel (logitech G29) and almost turn it around to take a corner. In your video it seems like you're having a much better grip on the track. Is there a setting I'm missing on my wheel setup or is the G29 simply not good enough for this? I really have to turn it almost all the way round to get through the 1st corner. That is what's mostly costing me time.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back