RPM and Gear Ratios

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
Some how I've confused myself so a little point in the right direction is needed.

When setting up gears you always try and find the final gear so that its just hitting optimal point just before the breaking point of the corner, and then move other gears so there are evenly balanced but on a simlar scale for the corners they are needed for.

But that said if we were to take a Seat Leon and the info provided then this is where I get all confused.

Seat Leon info

Engine: 2000 CC
Horsepower 287 BHP @ 7750 RPM
Max Torque 272 Nm @ 6750 RPM

So going of the above the optimal gear point is 7750 RPM, per gear.

Well I started off slightly confussed, Now I'm just going to stick my head the sand and hope for the best. I just knew using this MOTEC would just make life a lot harder.

It's quite simple for nearly all cars in GTR Evo cause we can't adjust the engine itself:

Set the last gear to maximum power if you can reach topspeed (i.e. nordschleife), if not cause you will reach a breaking point take the rev limit, the 1st to the slowest corner and spread out the others (maybe regarding important corners). Shift near the rev limit (and therefore quite above the maximum power) if you just race about 30 minutes. Otherwise - in long distance races - stop in between the maximum power and the rev limit according to your experience or somehow extracted gamedata.

As far as i have analyzed there are only a few exceptions: One of the corvettes, the viper and maybe that camaro i don't have in my game. This may not be complete but for the most cars the given above will come true. :highfive:

And regarding your Seat you now know the optimal drag setup as well.:beer:

Well I started off slightly confussed, Now I'm just going to stick my head the sand and hope for the best. I just knew using this MOTEC would just make life a lot harder.
it is also less important to know all the info of each engine now because with the timescaled mech damage now being removed from the ded server app gui then the engines now seem bullet proof, so even if the LifetimeEngineRPM is lower than the max hp rpm it would appear we can now go past the limit time and time again before the engine goes pop

Power versus Torque
Or
When a car does accelerate best?

The acceleration (a) of a car is ...

You gave the full lesson... I take my hat to you.

Just so everyone notices... this is a question of language, I fully agree with him (there is no other way around physics won’t permit it :D), for theoretical acceleration, this is black in white how the things go.
The language question is for instance: Torque is different from output torque wish in term is equalto power (wish in itself is easier to follow), so, yes shift to maximize power.
A final notice, also mentioned in the detailed post...

This is a situation where we have the engine and a transmission in a test bank…
In RL, what a racer (in a kind of club racing not works racing) does is that he might do a few laps maximizing power to open a gap, do an overtake or whatever, and then go into car "maintenance mode" where tires (important) are better maintained and the engine isn't so stressed (and maintenance won’t be so expensive).
...As far as i have analyzed there are only a few exceptions: One of the corvettes, the viper and maybe that camaro i don't have in my game. This may not be complete but for the most cars the given above will come true.

That is why early on I said that these engine mappings were an option from SimBin (probably has to do with the roots of the game, wtcc2007)…
With a few exception (C6s and Vipers) these mappings suit sprint racing, and not endurance racing (wish is still far but closer to real live car utilization).
Ideally in a future simulator one could be presented with, for instances, 3 different engine mappings, where one would be a power angry and peaky version (ultimate engine power extraction), this would be hard to utilize (short power integral zone) but the best option for sprints.At the other side we would have a more flattened engine mapping where the power output would be less, but the power integral zone would be larger making the engines easier to use and above all easier on the tires and likely more fuel efficient.
Now we see here clearly why so many experimented people in the GTP class prefer the C6R as (within this game) the car is in a kind of his own together with Viper, but unlike this last one it hasn’t that massive engine at the front who keeps wanting to crash you against a wall at slightest distraction, so it is easier to drive in long distance racing.

... ISI game engine as does race07/evolution/stcc and it does not use the Lizard game engine as you have stated....

Totally my bad, game engine names confusion… I’ve found the tool in many places, but I can’t get the tool without login in, wish I want to avoid. If you could more or less point me out in a good direction to attain the application (bwt I do have rFactor I just don’t have time for it and had to make an option)... I would appreciate it.

...of each engine now because with the timescaled mech damage now being removed from the ded server app gui then the engines now seem bullet proof...

Bad news indeed, in a way, people should be "educated" to manage and balance engine utilization. Like many things in live with power comes destruction. There are no mechanical miracles, there are several reason why the dull versions of an engine still go around in our streets after many years and the GT's , R's and such all disappear from circulation after a few.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 263 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 174 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 173 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 233 13.6%