Rough sketch of my planned cockpit - would welcome everyone's input

So I am a lucky man, my father owns a good size metal fabrication company. He does large corporate contracts for automation and custom fabrication, doesnt generally stray from that line of work, luckily, being his son and all, its a standing order that if I get him CAD plans for something, he will fab it and ship it. Point of all that, I am curious based on the rough sketch, what if anything would you experts change. Going to get cracking on CAD tomorrow. Also was wondering if anyone had a measurement template I could work off of for the G-27 wheel, thinking of adding a backplate to hold buttons and eventually an SLI most likely.

Thanks ahead of time
-TLP

Hey TLP,

Apologies if i missed something, but why is the rig so wide in your sketch?
Is it a scale issue or are you designing it to be that wide?

No apologies necessary, my main couple of friends that come over to play are of the husky variety, so I went with 3.5ft, to make sure everyone could fit. I have decided to drop it down to 3 even, perhaps a little smaller. if it were just for me, i could go 18in without issue. Plus I figure it will give room for expansion along side the seat. That being said, no amount of expansion would require 3.5ft, havent had a chance to work on it much, apparently, my 4 day marathon went just a little long and the wife threw a fit the other day, so I have taken a few days off

Thanks
TLP

Upvote 0
Yeah, I second Tinker's comment on the industrial castor wheels, use the type that can be locked for all four castors. I have a Nixim GT Racecraft chassis and this is a heavy duty piece of kit. Putting it together it gets surprisingly heavy, surprisingly quickly.

Your thoughts on reducing the width will also help reduce the weight. Further weight, and cost reduction could be made by using Plywood or MDF for the base rather than checker plate. Use High Gloss Enamel paint from International Paints for a durable finish free of brush marks.

As has already been mentioned you should add provision for setting the steering wheel housing at an angle. This could be as simple as making the top sheet in two pieces, hinged together with the joint line just in front of the monitor stand upright. A little bit more intricate but an alternative solution would be to make the hinged section just a little wider than the wheel housing, leaving you with a flat surface either side for mouse, button box, volume controls etc.

Although still in the design stages congratulations on what you've done so far. She will 'understand' eventually !

Upvote 0
You could also do with checking the steering wheel height before having it built. If you have something handy to put your monitor and wheel on, and then play with height you could save some time. As I found, I had to have the monitors quite high up to get the realistic feel in the cockpit. As a rule of thumb, your wheel needs to be between shoulder height and chest height for you, and the wheel should meet the virtual wheel on your monitors. The only time where this isn't the case, is when karting, normally in a kart the steering wheel is quite a bit lower, but still chest height.

I know it's going to bring other questions into the game too though, such as peddle positioning, should it be flat to the lowest point of the seat, or 10cm lower. Thats all up to what cars you'll be driving, formula cars are always flat to the seat, most race cars are all flat, all karts are flat, but a rare % of touring cars and a lot of pre 2000's cars are up to 10cm lower. That being said, do you then want them mounted from the bottom, or inverse?

Also, the seat positioning is crucial. All road cars re-designed for racing have a backwards lean of 10°, this allows for a shorter, shallower car, and it also makes the car easier to drive in longer races and stints. The only difference is, formula cars and prototypes have either less or more, depending on the drivers height, and weight. And then road cars, that have been trimmed for racing but not re-designed tend to have less than 10% lean (which makes it painfull to sit in after 6 hours lol).

Having a track-day in a formula car will give you a much better Idea on seat position, wheel height, angle and distance, and monitor height. There is no substitute for the real thing, so if your trying to get closer to reality, get a feel for reality first.

Upvote 0
Well gentlemen, I said I irritated the wife by spending too much time on the project(s), unfortunately she didnt "understand" and has left me (by text message no less) and taken my son as well. I am in shambles, the only thing worse than your family imploding is not being able to talk about it, not being able to rationalize, figure out why, figure out what you can do. So I sit at home in an empty house, I have plenty of time to work on my sketch, but I no longer feel any drive to. I would assume this project is scrapped for the time being.

Upvote 0
Well it what people tell me is the fastest divorce in history, I am back in action. Obviously its not done, but we sat down, hammered out the details, she doesnt want anything other than her clothes, makeup and some family heirlooms. She doesnt want child support, just the stuff I do now for our son, medical/dental clothes any additional expense, we will do joint custody of our son, switching off weeks. All is as well as can be hoped, it still means my family has imploded, it still means 2 weeks of the month I dont get my son, it still means my wife is gone, but in a painful situation, this is about as painless as it gets.

Upvote 0
I feel for you, but at least you still get to see your son. It could have been worse, and it does not mean it will be easy, but I know you'll make it through. If anything, you know have the chance to do things your own way for a while, and you never know, things may work out for the better.

Hope your not down for too long bud :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%