Rookie Drivers

Decenten

Driver of the #73 Team OGMRZ Holden V8SC
I got the game 24hrs ago and have just completed my fourth race at Charlotte in the Mazda. In these 4 races many crashes happened that shouldnt have. The first race, I got a stop go for jumping the start (my own reaction at the cars jumping due to lag). After serving the penalty, I caught up to a lap car within half a lap but whilst trying to lap this car, I got taken out due to him weaving off the racing line causing me to crash. After getting towed back to pits, I came out after 2 minutes and 45 seconds of repairing my badly damaged car only to come out behind the same car who nearly wrecked me again at the same corner doing exactly the same thing. I thought that by having the pay-by-the-month feature would allow for better racing from drivers who can actually hold a line. Honestly this is worse than the crap that happens on F1 2013

There's a reason they're rookie drivers. Think of that series as the lint trap, aside from the top splits it's full of the least experienced and worst drivers to have signed up. Because if they were better, they'd be racing someplace else.

Honestly this is worse than the crap that happens on F1 2013

I don't know about F1 2013, but from past (dreadful) experiences with GT and FM and Codies games of the past, I imagine the experience is not that different.

iRacing has its dumb-and-dumber and happy-wrecker share of drivers (not only in rookie class, but right up to A class), but even that is nowhere near what happens in GT/FM/Codies/EA racing games. There's something about iRacing (the safety system, the price tag, the hardcore label pending over it) that keeps away most of the riff-raff (i.e., idiots and wreckers) out.

The system is not perfect, and possibly it's not realistic to filter out all undesirable-types floating around, but it is nevertheless much better than elsewhere - perhaps with the exception of leagues, private or otherwise (regardless of sim: GSC, GTr2, Race07, rFactor, LFS, NKP).

The key seems to be...experience and patience. There will come a time when you will instinctively realize who the "undesirables" are in the races you're in, regardless of SOF/classes, and then you can normally steer clear of them. :)

I don't know about F1 2013, but from past (dreadful) experiences with GT and FM and Codies games of the past, I imagine the experience is not that different.

iRacing has its dumb-and-dumber and happy-wrecker share of drivers (not only in rookie class, but right up to A class), but even that is nowhere near what happens in GT/FM/Codies/EA racing games. There's something about iRacing (the safety system, the price tag, the hardcore label pending over it) that keeps away most of the riff-raff (i.e., idiots and wreckers) out.

The system is not perfect, and possibly it's not realistic to filter out all undesirable-types floating around, but it is nevertheless much better than elsewhere - perhaps with the exception of leagues, private or otherwise (regardless of sim: GSC, GTr2, Race07, rFactor, LFS, NKP).

The key seems to be...experience and patience. There will come a time when you will instinctively realize who the "undesirables" are in the races you're in, regardless of SOF/classes, and then you can normally steer clear of them. :)
Yeah I agree with you know. Like I said it was my first time on iRacing and I was just surprised with some of the driving abilities. I assumed that every driver would know what a blue flag is but apparently not. I must admit I did take him out once the race had finished due to frustration. I didn't take him out during the race so it didn't wreck his race and in the warmup to the next race I think he took me out on the banking so I guess I deserved that one.

I know how you feel, it can be frustrating. I was once chased around Okayama by a self-proclaimed "alien driver" during a V8 SC practice session because of a phantom touch (you know...network issues, and suddenly the prediction system can't cope with that and odd collisions happen)...if it were a race, it would be a ton of INC's, and all for nothing really.

Don't let these types unnerve or irritate you. Better leave the session (even races) than get through all the idiotic aggravation. Fortunately, it won't happen frequently.

Well I am not having the best of times with incidents. I have an average of 8-9 per race but have only spun the car twice so they are all because of other drivers taking me out or bumping me. I think iRacing need to fix that part of their sim.

Most of us have gone through that, I suspect. As I said, the more you drive, the more you understand where the next dumb move may come from, and you'll protect yourself better.

In regards to fixing the problem:

not easy, you know. How would they go about doing that?

In essence, you have 2 objects (your car and someone else's). How do you assess which car is to blame in a collision? Speed per se is not enough; trajectory neither. As you can't judge intent easily (it's a rather complex subject in AI or behaviour pattern recognition), you're left with speed, direction and steering input...iRacing's algorithm's for this may be vastly more complex than this.

Say you're hit from behind. Whose fault is it, from an external observer's POV? The guy behind could have avoided you, but it could very well be that even without brake testing the guy, you could manoever your car so that you're in his path and a collision is inevitable. Or it could simply be that you get spooked by the speed he carries and you try to manoever out of his way but instead end up getting in the way...

It's simpler, and probably less prone to problems in general, to distribute guilt between both parties in a collision/contact.

Not a perfect system, but if everyone knows the rules everyone must live by them.

It may very well be that in the future, iR's algorithms for collisions/contacts improve immensely, lets hope they do.

Addon:

just remembered a talk we had at NoGrip about this subject, a long time ago. Someone suggested that maybe contact/collision responsibility-attribution could be controlled (mathematically) by the INC's record of each driver - meaning, when assessing the outcome/origin of the event, the driver with the worst INC's record would be penalized more. It could work - problem is, rookies, for instance, even those who really want to drive and learn, are obviously more prone to having a bad INC's record, so such a system would only extend their problems far longer - probably causing rookies to simply give up on iRacing (and that...FIRST wouldn't want for sure).

The best advice anyone can give you would be (I think) this: until you reach that point where you know for sure where the incidents may occur with other drivers, stay out of the "first corner rush", especially considering how many think that 3 cars side by side is great fun (who's the chicken?).

And build your ratings, so that you can get out of rookie and D.

Perhaps you've read this already, perhaps not, but there's something interesting in there about this subject:
http://www.iracing.com/safety-ratings-a-cure-for-the-mayhem-in-online-racing-games/

Last edited:
I think that might work but I have many incidents that haven't been my fault. I guess that coming from a league with rules and going to iRacing and expecting the same rules to apply to everyone was not the best thought.

I have had the same thing at Charlotte in the Mazda.
Turn 1 Lap 1, get hit from behind and 4x Contact Points ???? wtf I was in front and I get hit from behind ?

Chronus said it best, Stay out of Trouble and do as many races as possible to get out of Rookie as quickly as you can. But being in D Class isn't much better. Once you get to C class the Driving is much better.

I must admit I did take him out once the race had finished due to frustration.
You're not going to get far in iRacing with that attitude. Don't be part of the problem, and don't let frustration get the better of you.
Some of the drivers in my split were b and c class drivers and a couple of them were as bad as the rookies
Sounds like bottom splits to me. Same as before, you're stuck with the worst of the worst drivers. Get out of there however you need to. That means stop dumping drivers, avoid incidents when possible even if you feel you should have right of way, and jump into higher classes ASAP.

You're not going to get far in iRacing with that attitude. Don't be part of the problem, and don't let frustration get the better of you.
I was very frustrated especially consider I got a drive through for letting the clutch slip (didn't get any advantage) and after my drive through I was determined to gain a few more spots as I was 5th and a lot faster than the other guys and this guy was blocking me and not letting me get past. I could have ended his race as well as mine but I didn't and at the end I just decided to show how frustrated I was. Clearly I wasn't thinking that well. Anyway I wont be doing that again.
How do I get into higher splits. I got into the second highest split (still got taken out) but dont know how I did it.

I was very frustrated especially consider I got a drive through for letting the clutch slip (didn't get any advantage) and after my drive through I was determined to gain a few more spots as I was 5th and a lot faster than the other guys and this guy was blocking me and not letting me get past. I could have ended his race as well as mine but I didn't and at the end I just decided to show how frustrated I was. Clearly I wasn't thinking that well. Anyway I wont be doing that again.
How do I get into higher splits. I got into the second highest split (still got taken out) but dont know how I did it.
At this point, consistency and finishing is more important than speed. Consider that if you were 5th with a drive through how little you should trust the other guys on track to be capable of racing you cleanly.

Splits are determined by your iRating, which comes from good finishing positions. If you're consistently finishing races in the top half, that's exactly what you want to keep doing. And preserving a spot is more important than risking it trying to pass an erratic driver.

It may seem counter-intuitive to hold off racing, but the rookie series really are like a test. They're testing if you're a competent driver, and many of the people you race against in the rookie series failed that test. But at the end of the day, it's a good lesson anyway, that helps keep the service as a whole clean.

I'm currently C class on Road and I'm enjoying the heck out of it! Most races since leaving Rookie class have been great, but occasionally you get rough grids like the one I had this weekend in the RUF cup. People that have not practiced at all, people with zero spatial awareness that turn in on you when you try to pass them on the inside, but more than anything backmarkers who see you coming up to lap them who think they are helping by slamming the brakes and going way off the racing line, I spun out of a race twice this weekend from trying to avoid hitting such backmarkers.
That said, what you should take away from my post is that I generally enjoy the racing in iRacing, a LOT, I've had numerous fender to fender and door to door racing going two wide through corners with others that know to give you room on the track, so much fun!

i hope I can get more into this sim but unfortunately my internet will not allow that. Luckily I just got rFactor 2. Probably will come back to iRacing in a month or so. Need a some clean races before I go back to that mayhem

Mayhem will disappear in couple weeks / months, you have to "earn" your place amongst the cleaner drivers, which isn't always fair because you lose a lot if you're taken out. And it takes a lot of good results to gain back what you lost. But it hasn't been different for any other drivers, i had a 4 time in a row DNF too because of other drivers. But that made me approach iRacing in a different manner too.

(I did a couple pitstarts in the beginning which made me avoid LOTS of drama and put me on the way to getting an A license after 5 weeks)

I used to refrain from setting a time in qually. Start last and let all the nutters wreck themselves at turn 1. Pootle around at a decent enough pace waiting for the other idiots to fall off the track.

Keep your nose clean and assume everyone is deaf/blind/stupid and give them a wide berth.
Finish races clean and in a decent position (remember you don't have to win to get your iRating and Safety Rating up).

Also use the hotlapping sessions to get your iRating and Safety Rating up as well. Can't blame idiots for taking you off when your on your own!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 77 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.7%