Rolling Server

Pritch

Pritch
It just occur'd to me guys why haven't we got a full time rolling drop-in server running for members only , by rolling i mean normal quali/race then onto the next track.Say with a different set of cars every week to keep it different.

Just a thought guys .....

So what you are qactually proposing is a running RD server, with a predefined car settings, and several tracks?
There are servers running at all time of the day, so I do not see the benefit in this to be honest ;)

yes there maybe the servers running all the time but the races are at a predetermined time and track.what im saying is instead of signing up for a race just go race whatever track and set of cars are on at that time just like any other public server and have the server rotate the tracks,practice,qualifying and race.

Is voting enabled on the event servers? If that is the case, nothing prevents you from launching a race anytime during the week whenever you collect enough people.

In fact, we should use more the servers out of the scheduled events, for example publicly announcing in the event thread that we intend to be practicing at a given day/time and encouraging others to join (even if not registered yet for the event).

However I don't know how that would mix with the "no tell time" policy.

what im saying is instead of signing up for a race just go race whatever track and set of cars are on at that time just like any other public server...
The whole point of RD events is that they are not like public servers. All rolling servers do is fragment the community and produce tiny grids of 3-4 people. We know because that's what happened when we tried a similar idea last year. Having events at set times means that it groups people together resulting in larger grids and better racing for all.

As Marco mentioned, the servers are always up days in advance so the potential is there for some ad-hoc races if you can find people willing to join you. There's also nothing stopping you from setting up your own server and posting it in this thread. And of course, there's public servers.

As Marco mentioned, the servers are always up days in advance so the potential is there for some ad-hoc races if you can find people willing to join you.

I would suggest something: the servers to be configured with shorter times until the day of the official race.

Reason for this is that I doubt there are many people (if any) willing to make a mockup race tomorrow afternoon of (for example) 30 min Q and 80 min R with the minis at nurburgring. But short Q and R sessions (maybe 8 and 15 min) just for fun and learning the track, much more attractive.

The short events I would cut in half and only one race.

I would suggest something: the servers to be configured with shorter times until the day of the official race.
No, we can't start messing around like that. They're set up early to ensure they're online and available on race day with no further input from staff. If a member of staff is not available or forgets to modify the server then it'll be wrong for the event.

To be honest, I'm not even a fan of RD servers being used for ad-hoc races. Some people just want to practice with other members and that is what the servers should be there for. At the end of the day there are other options for those wanting to race outside of RD events, as I have already explained above.

I mostly agree with Ross here. I do think that a RD server can be used for a ad hoc race. But, when a server is up and running, you can do a practice race if you want to by voting it through, and do it with the settings as set into the server. Simple reason is as Ross just said, that RD Staff does not always have time to re-setup servers. We are all very busy with private life (Yes, RD Staff members have a private life to :p), and all kinds of RD things. It's a big risk to take when we need to reset servers on all racing days.

And besides that, I did not start the thread Ross mentioned for no reason :) It's there to facilitate in just what you are asking for. Create a place for adhoc, casual racing with RD Members. In that thread you can pick any combination, and drive on it. Just make sure you do not call the server RACEDEPARTMENT xxxxx.

HI,Ive found that the club races are more of a full evenings entertainment .... and we learn far more in the practice time than in the race..
Last night i met Ross in the server quite early and we did lap after lap, then compared times and tried to improve... its not just about the racing, but developing a good bond with track car and fellow races...
Both races last night were totally different for each of us. never actually meeting on track in both races but we now know we will have a good race at some point in time... I don't think this would of happened if it was just bang boom race...

Hey Alberto... if you cant run a server yourself give me a shout if you want something specific with a time and ill see what i can do... but it only available to RD members....

Please notice I said until _the day_ of the event, not until the very last hour.

Last night i met Ross in the server quite early and we did lap after lap, then compared times and tried to improve... its not just about the racing, but developing a good bond with track car and fellow races...
Both races last night were totally different for each of us. never actually meeting on track in both races but we now know we will have a good race at some point in time... I don't think this would of happened if it was just bang boom race...

That's more or less what I was talking about, but with the added possibility of a quick race to draw the competition junkies.

But OK, just suggesting.

..... but with the added possibility of a quick race to draw the competition junkies.
Thats exactly what we do NOT want. That smells like public server to me, and thats not what RD is about. Besides that, to have the advantage Rupe is describing above, I think the race part is totally NOT the right place. Reason for that is exactly what you say, the competition junkies.
During the 900 minutes of practice, you will have so much more learning experience, and can have the same amount of fun.

Thats exactly what we do NOT want. That smells like public server to me, and thats not what RD is about. Besides that, to have the advantage Rupe is describing above, I think the race part is totally NOT the right place. Reason for that is exactly what you say, the competition junkies.
During the 900 minutes of practice, you will have so much more learning experience, and can have the same amount of fun.

The learning experience of not pushing too much on race starts you don't get in practice, and it can ruin the big races from minute 1 for many people.

The opinion of the staff is clear, though, I will shut up.

Hahahah Don't shut up ;) You are free to say how you feel. The fact that we are staff, does not mean we are always right :).

You do have a valid point there. However, as counter argument, al the servers are voteable. So, when you are in a practice with some guys, you can simply vote the sessions through to the race. Then do the first 2 laps orso, and restart the race. That way, you can have perfect practice.

You see, what we try to do, is get the most out of our actions. It's always a choice between admin work, and member enjoyement. We feel, and believe me, we have talked a lot about this, that the way we set up the servers now, and the amount of servers online (always something on), enables our members to practice every aspect of the race, before the race starts. Also, it is in the most effective way for us admins to setup, and the most safe way for members to have the actual race.
It's a well thought out choice we have made. Thats why we (in this thread Ross and me), are on 1 straight line with opinions.

Last, there is always the thread to meet each other, as linked in some posts above. If you really want to do something special, or use some kind of class we as RD not use regularly, you can always arrange a "race date" there ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back