Resource icon

Cars Rolland-Pilain A22 (1923) 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Nicecuppatea submitted a new resource:

Rolland-Pilain A22 (1923) - We're rolland, rolland, rolland...pilain...

View attachment 492620
Finished! The final car of the six different marques that took part in the 1923 French Grand Prix at Tours.

Possibly a bit of an anti-climax if you believe in saving the best to last. I saved it until last because when I first started researching these cars there was almost no information available, I did wonder if I'd even be able to make it with almost no info. Fortunately, I eventually found some pictures and a little technical info (half of which...

Read more about this resource...

Hi !
On one of the pictures it seems that the right portion of the hood was bending in half and that there were small additional details. What do you think about this ? Well done anyway, I love these cars !!!

Hi !
On one of the pictures it seems that the right portion of the hood was bending in half and that there were small additional details. What do you think about this ? Well done anyway, I love these cars !!!
Good point. Probably should add a panel gap to reflect that. It's hard to tell at that angle but it looks like there might be some vents there too, a lot of these cars had cooling problems so that might've been something done on the day.

Just looking through my pictures and only the two I have from the race itself show that side of the car as it was then, and it's hard to see any detail in either. Will definitely look at that part of the car when I'm doing an update though.

Good point. Probably should add a panel gap to reflect that. It's hard to tell at that angle but it looks like there might be some vents there too, a lot of these cars had cooling problems so that might've been something done on the day.

Just looking through my pictures and only the two I have from the race itself show that side of the car as it was then, and it's hard to see any detail in either. Will definitely look at that part of the car when I'm doing an update though.
Tu es français ou bien ?
I suggest you write to ask for more photos from the association: grandprixdetours@wanadoo.fr
If you want me to translate a letter into French, I can do it. I am sure they will respond and approve your initiative :)

Tu es français ou bien ?
I suggest you write to ask for more photos from the association: grandprixdetours@wanadoo.fr
If you want me to translate a letter into French, I can do it. I am sure they will respond and approve your initiative :)
I did email a French museum that has the only surviving car, but understandably enough with the way things have been for the last 18 months I didn't hear back. That was more for technical details, although some measurements would've been really useful too.

There's a big stash of photos on the French National Library website from the Tours race, but I suppose someone more local might have some more. I know the Grand Prix de Tours people have a web-site (https://www.grandprixdetours.com/) but I haven't found any photos on it that I've not already got.

I did email a French museum that has the only surviving car, but understandably enough with the way things have been for the last 18 months I didn't hear back. That was more for technical details, although some measurements would've been really useful too.

There's a big stash of photos on the French National Library website from the Tours race, but I suppose someone more local might have some more. I know the Grand Prix de Tours people have a web-site (https://www.grandprixdetours.com/) but I haven't found any photos on it that I've not already got.
I hope you'll keep on developing these cars, they are so fun to drive. I realy love the feeling and sound of the Delage. Sunbeam and Fiat deserve a better soundmod, maybe SCIBSOUND would like the challenge to make a sound for an old timer ?
Thanks again, hope that Fat Alfie will make the track one day !

PS The A22 is realy cool, lovely bouncy :)

Last edited:
I hope you'll keep on developing these cars, they are so fun to drive. I realy love the feeling and sound of the Delage. Sunbeam and Fiat deserve a better soundmod, maybe SCIBSOUND would like the challenge to make a sound for an old timer ?
Thanks again, hope that Fat Alfie will make the track one day !

PS The A22 is realy cool, lovely bouncy :)
Thanks. I've fallen behind a bit with updates to previous cars so that should probably be the next thing I do. I'll have another go at improving the FIAT sound, try to make it less of a drone, enable damage and add more LODs, for the Delage too.

Fantastic! Again when I was deciding on a driving game to buy this set of cars is what gave AC the edge.
I should ask Kunos to give me a cut of their profits :laugh:. Seriously though, it's their smart decision to allow modding that's still giving them sales 7-8 years after the game was launched, always amazes me that more companies don't follow suit.

always amazes me that more companies don't follow suit.
I think that has to do with the engine. AC's engine was written from the ground up with modding in mind, like rFactor. From the current sims basically none runs a custom engine. Modding is usually possible, but not very user friendly like in AMS2 or simply disallowed by external circumstances, like licensing.

I hope that AC2 will be a fully modable platform again :inlove:

Last edited:
I think that has to do with the engine. AC's engine was written from the ground up with modding in mind, like rFactor. From the current sims basically none runs a custom engine. Modding is usually possible, but not very user friendly like in AMS2 or simply disallowed by external circumstances, like licensing.

I hope that AC2 will be a fully modable platform again :inlove:
I probably won't buy it if it isn't, just get too much fun out of making mods and trying other people's mods to move to something that's closed off and limited.

Be interesting to see if Stefano's open-source engine becomes a reality, that could really shake things up. Although, I suppose even then modding will still be an aspect that producers have to develop and spend time and resources on.

I would personally worry about releasing a sequel that's not mod-friendly. It's so baked into the perception of the brand now. I'm not sure "it has our new physics engine" or "we added night and rain" will be that enticing either, seeing as AC + CSP has already exceeded what they've done with ACC's physics, with night and rain. Not that there's not still plenty of room for improvement, of course, but room and realization are two different things.

Will be interesting to see where they take it. They're going to be competing with their own customer base's version of their previous project and it remains serious competition IMO.

I probably won't buy it if it isn't, just get too much fun out of making mods and trying other people's mods to move to something that's closed off and limited.

Be interesting to see if Stefano's open-source engine becomes a reality, that could really shake things up. Although, I suppose even then modding will still be an aspect that producers have to develop and spend time and resources on.
I guess it would probably be the only modern modable sim when it comes out, so that would be a nive nieche to fall into, and IIRC Marco already comented on Kunos wanting to do more than just using a prebuilt engine. We'll see. IMO it would not be wise to make it not modable, Kunos have already experienced all the good things it brings for brand perception and moneymaking :D

Since I'm not modding myself I'll probably still buy it, if nothing else to help out the Kunos devs. If I play it however is another question, depends on the features and content of course.

Will be interesting to see where they take it. They're going to be competing with their own customer base's version of their previous project and it remains serious competition IMO.

I suppose it's quite subjective when I say what I want from it, other people enjoy AC in other ways, but I think that's its greatest strength too, that it can offer such a variety of experiences, cater to different interests. If they can reproduce that, make it an evolution of the first one, then I'll be breaking open the piggy-bank for it.

Honestly I love the idea of the spare wheel being a visual extra that can be toggled on or off, and adding an external horn in the same vein would also be another great aesthetic touch.

Honestly I love the idea of the spare wheel being a visual extra that can be toggled on or off, and adding an external horn in the same vein would also be another great aesthetic touch.
I found this picture from Monza where you can see there's no spare wheel, hard to tell if the winglets are there or not, but the spare does seem to have been on a track-by-track basis, for two races at least.

I've got exactly one picture where I can see part of the bracket(s) it was mounted on, so I'll have to have a look for more examples of spare wheel mounts, try to get a general idea.

9_9_23_[circuit_de]_Monza_Grand_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b531199869.JPEG

I would personally worry about releasing a sequel that's not mod-friendly. It's so baked into the perception of the brand now. I'm not sure "it has our new physics engine" or "we added night and rain" will be that enticing either, seeing as AC + CSP has already exceeded what they've done with ACC's physics, with night and rain. Not that there's not still plenty of room for improvement, of course, but room and realization are two different things.

Agreed. I do basically two things with this game: Race the 1923 pack, and race every vintage muscle car mod I can find around twisty tracks. Both are possible because of the modding community.

Nicecuppatea updated Rolland-Pilain A22 (1923) with a new update entry:

Rolland-Pilain A22 (1923) v1.1

Little update to correct the model on the right-hand side of the hood (thanks to DanielCoppo for pointing out the difference)

- plus I've been playing with my crayons again, so have another skin
- added CSP exhaust smoke. It seems to creep back up and around the exhaust at higher speeds and I'm not sure why, I just found a config and copied it. Looks OK from a distance though.
- RainFX data now in the 'rainfx_data' folder
- err, that's it...I think

Read the rest of this update entry...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back