Road and Curb effects too strong on Logitech G27

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Does anybody know which files need to be edited to reduce the road and curbstone effects, which imo are way too strong for the Logitech G27?

Trying to get the same effects as in the early GSC days but without success so far. Just driving around in karts and such really wakes up the neighbors during the evening sessions as my G27 is rattling like crazy.

The Karts are rattly with the G27 but I don't have any problems with any other car on GSC. Try increasing the smoothing setting in the realfeel; that's what I was told but I haven't gotten around to it yet to see how it works.

The overall ffb settings seem to have changed since the last time i've seriously raced (I know :D).

Used to be spot on with all cars but forces are way too strong currently. Can I safely copy in my old .plr and controller.ini files instead? Or has there been a major overhaul on them during recent versions?

Take a look at your RealFeelPlugin.ini and look for the car´s (or kart´s) "MaxForceAtSteeringRack=" parameter, increase that value if you want to reduce overall forces on the wheel. Our default values have a fair bit of clipping to compensate for the weak forces on most commercial controller wheels - if you can live with your G27 feeling a little loose on lighter loads, you will actually do well to increase "MaxForceAtSteeringRack=" to remove the clipping and offer you a more complete range of forces.

Thank you sir, will certainly give that a try.

Copying my modified 2012 GSC settings already solved most of my issues for the other cars.

Actually that was a simplified (poor) explanation - increasing MaxForceAtSteeringRack doesn´t decrease overall forces, it actually increases the amplitude of the forces. Ideally this setting would be the actual Max force at the steering rack a given car is subject to at its peak load, which can be measured via telemetry. If we set MaxForceAtSteeringRack to those actual values, the peak force (which is determined from both the FFB strentgh in the controller profile combined with in-game slider) will be at that peak load, and you will feel the wheel build up force all the way to that peak load / force.

The problem is, having such "correct" values would make your average G27 wheel feel really light most of the time, so the compromise we use is to set MaxForceAtSteeringRack at a lower value than what the car is actually subject to, allowing the FFB strentgh to peak sooner and thus making it feel heavier at lighter loads - but clipping the effects from any extra load from that point on.

Thus, if you feel FFB is too heavy on curbs and such (which you will if you actually have a 1st class wheel such as the Bodnar, or if you just prefer more feel rather than pure strentgh) it´s likely you will find best to increase MaxForceAtSteeringRack - which would not only lighten the forces at lighter loads, but also give you more amplitude without reducing the max force at peak loads so long as you set it within the vehicle´s actual force range. If you lower the FFB strentgh (be it from the controller profile or from the in-game slider), you will reduce overall forces while still clipping the effects from higher loads, which is the worse of both worlds.

Last edited:
The v8 still has heavy ffb, wasn't that being reduced if I remember you saying correctly?

What would be the symptoms of clipping? im on a t300 and I use 100 in profiler and around 80 in game..

better still have you a value I can use, to get more balance in the V8, I don't really like messing with these golden settings.

cheers

Last edited:
The V8 tyres indeed changed substantially in v1.25, the previous model had quite high pneumatic trail which would contribute to a heavier FFB than most other cars, that was reduced but more clipping was added to MaxForceAtSteeringRack, so it wouldn´t feel too light in comparison.

Clipping just means you reach peak strength sooner - take Mergulho at Interlagos (the "dive", downhill left-hander at the end of sector 2) you´re building up speed (and load) throughout the corner so the peak force should be at the very bottom, however with a clipped MaxForceAtSteeringRack value, you may reach that peak mid corner and not feel any more force build up from that point onwards. You´d probably find that a good trade-off if you have a weak wheel (as most people do), but if you have a wheel capable of providing you with strong FFB throughout the complete load range, that´s the more realistic option.

In your case I´d suggest you play with increasing the V8´s MaxForceAtSteeringRack, rather than reducing the overall forces, for the very reasons explained here.

just tried that little corner at interlagos and before my adjustement I was getting rumble/force all down that corner, so my t300 isn't clipping :)

But however I did add 800 to the maxforce just to balance the v8 out with the rest now its a nice weight I like it:)

Last edited:
Thank you very much @Reiza Studios, the game just got even better.I have a G27 and my FFB settings used to be on Medium and - 60, after adding 30% to each cars MaxForceAtSteeringRack, I now have it on High and - 100 and its pretty much the same force but much more detailed. Great ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%