Road America Coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 5.jpg

Perhaps one of the most notable circuits in the USA, the legendary Road America track has been confirmed as on the way to RaceRoom Racing Experience very "soon"...

Confirmed to be the first track of 2018 for RaceRoom Racing Experience, Road America is a wonderful and iconic 6.515km permanent road course in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, USA. Featuring a mix of fast and technical corners with good overtaking opportunities, this popular racing location is expected to join the simulation as part of the upcoming new major build release, expected at some stage in the coming weeks.

Is it beautiful? Yes. Is it fun to drive? Yes. Will it be coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience in the near future as paid DLC? Hell yes! Check out the released screenshots below, and stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 1.jpg
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 2.jpg
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 3.jpg
RaceRoom Road America Confirmed 4.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively to PC on a free to play platform with additional content available at a further cost.

Love RaceRoom? Want to share the excitement with your fellow community members? No worries, we have all this and more at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum right here at RaceDepartment:
Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited to see Road America coming to RaceRoom Racing Experience? Any other US tracks you would like to see added to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
unfortunately having a realistic FOV on something like a 21:9 means the peripheral vision of a letter box. Its ok but not the most ideal FOV to use.
Yeah I know what you meam. I myself have a 32:9 aspect ratio monitor (Samsung 49'' CHG90) and the indicated "real" FOV for it, in R3E, is only 0.7 (i "strech" it a bit to 0.8...), and it doesnt give you to many peripheral vision at all. But its VERY important to get your FOV right! It will give the correct visual feedback you need to have to actually know what the car is doing (relative to the track).
The ultimate, optimal solution would be VR. But me, personaly, dont like to be so that much that "immersed" (there's a fire on the kitchen' sindrome). Im thinking of adding two 24'(144hz)' at each side, or maybe try a simpler solution like Track IR or similar (just to say hello to me mates:p when being passed over...CrewChief helps a lot meanwhile:thumbsup:)

I believe only the Nurburgring GP and Nordschleife are laser scanned, the others are not.

Only Nordschleife is scanned. Nurb GP is not.

Many tracks use CAD data to recreate them, which is how Nurb GP was done. RR also has a partnership with Tilke's engineering company, so some of the Tilke tracks in the game are similarly based off his own CAD data, like Chang.

Moving forward, if laser scanning isnt mentioned in an announcement in RR (or any other game) you can assume the content isnt being reproduced from laser scanning...

I think laser scanning is nice but not essential. I'm not sure if Portimao is scanned or not but it is brilliant and my favourite track in RRE and it shows if the track is well done it doesn't need laser scanning. The elevation changes and the general feel are spot on. I love it. I did a Euro Track day their on my track bike a couple of years ago and it is a good representation in RRE.

Reactions: DND
I think laser scanned is a bit over rated in that if a track is not laser scanned it is somehow less desirable by some. Sure it captures details such as imperfections in the track, subtle changes in topography since the original construction, and the off track structures in relation to the track that wouldn't otherwise be captured through drawings. But I think that the tracks were constructed through drawings for the older tracks, and CAD for everything since that data may be overall more to the actual track that was designed versus the track as it is scanned today.

Assetto Corsa, Project CARS 2 and Iracing circuits are laser scanned, the only people that don't like or not keen on laser scanned technology, are those that support ISI engine titles, because no ISI engine title as laser scanned tracks, makes sense doesn't it, my fav sim doesn't have it so its crap.

my fav sim doesn't have it so its crap.
I don't recall anyone saying laser scanned tracks are crap, over rated or not essential are far from saying something is crap. In fact they are beautiful and are fantastic, but tracks can also be both without it is the point I, and I think others, were trying to make.

Last edited:
Honestly? I really couldn't care less if a track is laser scanned or not. Makes no odds to me, and does nothing to enhance or detract from my enjoyment of a racing sim. When I'm haring along surrounded by 30 other cars in a club race, the surface of the road being millimetre perfect is of no concern whatsoever.

Honestly? I really couldn't care less if a track is laser scanned or not. Makes no odds to me, and does nothing to enhance or detract from my enjoyment of a racing sim. When I'm haring along surrounded by 30 other cars in a club race, the surface of the road being millimetre perfect is of no concern whatsoever.
Unless it’s noticeably inaccurate and then it is annoying to me, although I play all the sims so it might bother me more when one track is different when I switch, like Monza in PCars is just off on the final corner regardless of what SMS claim.

Once I’m into my driving though, no, I don’t really think about it again but it is nice to know you are racing on a near perfect recreation as I won’t get to on 99% of the tracks IRL.

Having being laughed at a couple of times for the comments I made about laser scanned tracks I have to admit I don't understand what is funny. I have been fortunate enough to drive at speed on several courses including Gingerman and Mosport both of which I am almost positive weren't laser scanned in rFactor2 and can attest that they are as close to what I remember them to be.
Not offended by making someone have a good laugh but please enlighten me on the joke.

I drove several laps in the Porsche GT3 R on Laguna in R3E then in the same car and track in Assetto Corsa and I was 6/10ths quicker in the AC version, most likely a difference in setups as the R3E version of the Porsche GT3 R feels a bit more planted than the AC version using the default setup.

R3E Laguna may not be LASER scanned although they must be using CAD or LiDAR at the least as it feels essentially spot on to the LS version in AC.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back