RIR 1980s v1.3 for GTR2

Tracks RIR 1980s v1.3 for GTR2 v1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
I am nitpicking but I think skyboxi is wrong : should look better if you increase size (height/diameter) IMHO. Except that, nice work ;)

NB: You know there is an update button to update your stuff, it would be easier for people to download your last version without asking "which version should I take?" :)

Yep its a nice track, i like it lots, but the sky turns black between turn 8 and 9. my only gripe at the moment considering its a work in progress its pretty good.;)

Yep its a nice track, i like it lots, but the sky turns black between turn 8 and 9. my only gripe at the moment considering its a work in progress its pretty good.;)
Is your GTR2 a "Steam" installation? I am trying to figure out why some people are having issues with my skybox loading. Please bear with me and try RIR 1980s v1.4 for GTR2; I modified compressed files and file structure in an effort to avoid the loading of a default (smaller) skybox .

I am nitpicking but I think skyboxi is wrong : should look better if you increase size (height/diameter) IMHO. Except that, nice work ;)

NB: You know there is an update button to update your stuff, it would be easier for people to download your last version without asking "which version should I take?" :)
Thanks a lot for the "Update" tip.
I think I already sorted the skybox issue in the new version v1.4 and it may have something to do with Steam. I just finished RIR 1980s for GT Legends and it worked just fine in my original installation of GT Legends but I got a CTD in the Steam version (on a different pc); I traced the problem to skyboxi.

Is your GTR2 a "Steam" installation? I am trying to figure out why some people are having issues with my skybox loading. Please bear with me and try RIR 1980s v1.4 for GTR2; I modified compressed files and file structure in an effort to avoid the loading of a default (smaller) skybox .
No not steam version, i will give v1.4 a go to see if it rectifies for me.:)

Ok Gary 1.4 has fixed black sky issue.:) Not sure it being steam versions is the issue though?:unsure:
Me neither, Jon. I thought maybe the skyboxi was somehow corrupted but that does not appear to be the case. I am gonna step back for now and take a short break while I sort this...

The main difference between GTR2 DVD vs STEAM is the GTR2.EXE : Bjarne noticed many differences in game rendering such as clipplanes/flickering so I think you may be right with skyboxi too.

Thanks for update ;)

Nice to see another scratch built RIR out there. I hope you don't mind but I thought I would point out some issues I found with the accuracy. Some of this is nit picking I know.

The main thing I found off right away is you have the incorrect post 67 T1. Yellow is yours. Your T1 is actually following the later pit exit which was old T1. This changed in 67 when the drive under tunnel was built along side the pedestrian tunnel. My point is this tighter T1 never existed with the larger T9. There were a few years when the new T1 existed with old T9 (67-69) but never the other way.

upload_2019-2-5_1-51-43.png

A few other things are the esses aren't quite tight enough according to the data I have and used on mine. Again yellow is yours.
upload_2019-2-5_1-51-21.png

Westworld and East Line are not correct.They should look something like this. Your westworld is not shown here and you are missing east line. You are also missing the wide entry to 7A shown below. Some layouts such as "spike" have you run backwards down the can am straight and enter 7A as a left turn.

upload_2019-2-5_1-52-8.png

Also you don't have any hills on the way to T8. You should drive through a "valley" right before you start braking for T8. Here is a cool 70s shot of them. This is before westworld and east line were created. And the fence on the left was gone in the 80s and grass had grown in there.

FB_IMG_1513350312265.jpg

Screenshot_nagp_indycar_2018_road_lilski_riverside_5-2-119-1-43-19.jpg

And the final thing is the hill on the back straight is a bit too far down the track. It's not a huge deal on the full circuit but it changes the exit of 7A on the short circuit. Here you can see the difference where the elevation changes. Yours is the one highlighted. Oh and the back straight is a tad too wide.

upload_2019-2-5_1-53-21.png

By no means am I saying my version is 100% accurate but it lines up to the data I used which I stand by 100%. I don't expect you to make these changes but I figured I would point some issues out in case you cared to know. You are more then welcome to use my model as a reference.

Shot of them side by side.
upload_2019-2-5_1-53-39.png

Final comparison of my esses and a real photo from 79.
Screenshot_nagp_indycar_2018_road_lilski_riverside_5-2-119-1-31-8.jpg

14138095_10207062938796409_3635237410019630494_o.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to compare your beautiful work to mine. I have been aware of your track but, since I have little interest in AC in its' current state, I have not yet had the opportunity to "drive" it. In the case of extinct racing venues; we are subject to and limited by the archival data we have access to. It would appear that you are in possession of finely detailed engineering and topographical documents that I have overlooked or are not available to the public and, for that, I am sincerely envious. Is your request for donations an effort to recoup the expense of said documents?

Last edited:
No donations are simply donations. Not trying to recoup any costs. If someone likes my work and wants to send a few bucks they can. If not then that's fine too.

As far as data goes I don't have say one piece of perfect data. My model is the result of 4 straight months of research and layout tweaks section by section until I got all the way around the course. A good friend of mine also helped by comparing sections and reporting back what he thinks should change and what was good.

I basically used the 20' topo map that is out there as the base for elevations. Each line on the topo I would "set in stone" and work out the 20' between each point by eye with careful examination of photos like above and hours and hours and hours of video comparison.

The base top down layout and object placement is based on a 1980 high resolution aerial map I found. That includes curb placement.

Again by no means do I think my version is 100% accurate as that is simply not possible without a time machine and a laser scanner. But I do think it is the most accurate version out there.

As I said you are welcome to use mine as a direct reference or even convert it if you want. It is also in the process of being converted to rf2 by digga and toebee.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the latest RIR version. I've been running it in P&G as well as GTL. Good job!!
BTW, I've got a couple of Riverside related snap shots I'd like to send you but for some reason I can't get them posted here.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%