RIP Niki Lauda: 1949-2019

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Niki Lauda.jpg

Niki Lauda has passed away eight months on from lung transplant surgery.

Three time former World Champion and AMG Mercedes non-executive director Niki Lauda has reportedly passed away on Monday night according to his family.

Recovering from lung transplant surgery in Switzerland, Lauda apparently lost his fight for life peacefully in his sleep on Monday evening.

"With deep sadness, we announce that our beloved Niki has peacefully passed away with his family on Monday,” the family said in a statement, according to the Austrian press agency. "His unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur, his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain. A role model and a benchmark for all of us, he was a loving and caring husband, father and grandfather away from the public, and he will be missed.”
Lauda was known as a straight talking and controversial figure in the F1 paddock, a man never short of a soundbite when speaking with the world media, and someone who garnered great respect from teams, drivers and fans alike.

RaceDepartment offers its sincere condolences to his friends and family at this sad time.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Very sad news. It was only yesterday evening when I was reading his to-the-point answers in F1 magazine (February 2018 issue) and laughing at his straight talk. What a legend... Rest in peace Niki.

Last edited:
Becoming World Champion in 1975 and 1977, and then returning from retirement to win again in 1984, in itself placed him up there with the greats. But it was what he did in 1976 that made him a legend.

R.I.P

Last edited:
What a sad sad moment to hear the news on radio this morning.
Being an Austrian, and fascinated by those old long gone days of F1 of yesteryear, I naturally was one big admirer of "Niki Nationale" how he was commonly referred to here. He also was father to two ~10 year old twin daughters, makes it all the more saddening.
My sincere condolences to his family

Such a sad day
When i was a kid and started to follow F1 in 1984 he was the first F1 world championship winner i saw on TV
He will always have a special place in my heart

RIP Niki

Like many others already said, a TRUE Legend, a fighter and an
inspiration for so many. Definetily on par with Senna, Prost, Fangio,
Schumacher, Hamilton, Piquet for the greatest of all time in F1.
RIP Andreas Nikolaus Lauda

personal note: I feel slightly unconfortable with my "name" now so that i
would like to change it out of respect. If that's not possible i'll take a break
from posting here very likely. I don't know.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%