RIP Niki Lauda: 1949-2019

One of the greatest. For me the face of formula 1.... with no bla bla... politic. Nikki said what he wants to say. Real pure character. We know him from F1... but he was also very good in touring cars... specialy on the Nordschleife. We miss you Nikki R.i.p.

I remember when i first heard of Niki Lauda. I was a 14 year old junior high school student who happened to be the only one in class to prefer motorsports to basketball, i've never heard much about what Formula 1's history was really like until i saw Rush on TV. Since then, Niki himself became one of the very few that i look up to. Fast forward to the present day, i'm now a college student looking to become a film director inspired by Rush and how it depicted the rivalry between him and James Hunt. But when i immediately heard about his death, i felt pretty bad as i read more about the death of one of the well known heroes of Formula One. We'll miss you, Niki Lauda. Rest in peace.

When I was a kid in the 70's, it was Niki Lauda, AJ Foyt, and Mario Andretti who were my heroes. I had pictures and posters of the three of them all over my room. They inspired me to get into racing. I feel like a part of me has died. RIP Niki, you were a true legend.

View attachment 306825
Niki Lauda has passed away eight months on from lung transplant surgery.

Three time former World Champion and AMG Mercedes non-executive director Niki Lauda has reportedly passed away on Monday night according to his family.

Recovering from lung transplant surgery in Switzerland, Lauda apparently lost his fight for life peacefully in his sleep on Monday evening.

"With deep sadness, we announce that our beloved Niki has peacefully passed away with his family on Monday,” the family said in a statement, according to the Austrian press agency. "His unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur, his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain. A role model and a benchmark for all of us, he was a loving and caring husband, father and grandfather away from the public, and he will be missed.”
Lauda was known as a straight talking and controversial figure in the F1 paddock, a man never short of a soundbite when speaking with the world media, and someone who garnered great respect from teams, drivers and fans alike.

RaceDepartment offers its sincere condolences to his friends and family at this sad time.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

He was an absolute legend of the sport someone you didnt want to see coming up from behind you....but post his racing career when he went into Airline management after the crash of Lauda Air 004, he went out of his way to get a Boeing 767 that the Professionals couldnt make an engine failure happen on and HE made it happen, shows you the steel he had to push the limits and boundaries since his accident was likely a suspension failure but its never been proved, he wanted to make sure the Boeing 767 was safer to fly!

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back