Rio F1 Track Configuration Confirmed

Nice discussion culture. I'm not ignoring a thing but to be honest I'm a bit confused because I have no idea what rules you are talking about. You obviously are the FIM expert in this discussion so I'm sure you know exactely where to find them - please point me in the right direction!

The FIM Standards for Circuits 2019 found here surely have a lot to say about Kerbs, verges and gravel beds but I couldn't find a paragraph on mandatory asphalt run off areas. I didn't have the time to read them thoroughly though as I'm at work at the moment so please cut me some slack.
Nah, look for it yourself. I already know this so I dont care what a random dude on the net thinks lol I was only informing as people have been putting the blame on the wrong person for these run offs
the only thing Tilke can be blamed for is boring track layouts

Last edited:
Nah, look for it yourself. I already know this so I dont care what a random dude on the net thinks lol I was only informing as people have been putting the blame on the wrong person for these run offs
the only thing Tilke can be blamed for is boring track layouts
The regulations require a verge of at least two meters, which should be level with the racetrack. There are no official FIM homologation requirements for a run-off area made entirel from asphalt (because otherwise tracks like Jerez or Valencia most certainly would not be homologated.

For new tracks there is. At least that's what was said in a interview long ago with Tilke about why asphalt is being used. In the end it's all up to who is paying the for the track.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 561801

I really like the track interlagos, i hope that the new track of Rio will also be interesting?

Nah. That's not the point. Quite the opposite, in fact, São Paulo's administration wants to sell the circuit grounds to some company who will build expensive residential/business developments, afaik. Destroy our rich racing history in exchange of some of that juicy moolah cash going into their own pockets.

Why not also get some extra cash by siphoning additional funds off another shady deal in Rio, just a few scant years after destroying their own historic Jacarepagua circuit?

Shame, shame, indeed.
If these are the real reasons, it is even worse than I thought.

Istanbul Park. Circuit of the Americas. Bahrain International. Österreichring redesign. Buddh International. Marina Bay.

Not merely "good" but excellent tracks.

Istanbul has 3 corners that are exciting, yet mean nothing for overtaking
Circuit of the Americas has a ton of nausea corners that do nothing for overtaking
Bahrain is terrible, actually needs a more severe definition of terrible.
Red Bull Ring is terrible. 1 corner where you can overtake...1, and that's with DRS, without it, just ain't possible in F1 without severe driver mistakes.
Buddh International? you wut?
Marina Bay is DRS simulator, back when FIA GT was on it, it was severely lacking as no high speed corners except T3. Since then, only some Porsche cup and F1 uses it, as nobody else wants to go there.

Tilkedromes are pointed towards F1, and he never made a track that could overcome the fact F1 doesn't favour natural overtaking, so his tracks are all terrible for series that benefit from natural overtaking like Spa, Suzuka, Monza,...

It's frankly terrifying that one guy has butchered so many great venues and is still unable to deliver anything exciting for more than F1-DRS Version.

You guys would do good realize that F1 is not the only racing series that exist in the world, nor is it the end of all things... Also a good track is not defined by the amount of overtaking that goes on. That's a fallacious talking point that you've just gotten used to hear and automatically repeat.

Looks like Malaysia. Sau Paulo is OK (Home of Senna Barichello and just about every Brazilian driver) but very poor with filthily rich. So people get mugged. Rio is the a wealthier part of Brazil and more high class. I have heard stories of a Williams mechanic getting robbed.:ninja::ninja::ninja:

You guys would do good realize that F1 is not the only racing series that exist in the world, nor is it the end of all things... Also a good track is not defined by the amount of overtaking that goes on. That's a fallacious talking point that you've just gotten used to hear and automatically repeat.
Yep, basically all tracks he designed works well with any other car, F1 is the problem, not the track

It wouldn't be a million miles away, both literally and design-wise over Interlagos already. Side-by-side the Rio track looks like the designers cloned Interlagos then stretched a few corners around a bit. I mean, if you're going to replace a legend of a track, then at least make the change worthwhile or different!
25it579.jpg

NOOOO!! PLEASE HELP US TO STOP THIS!!! They will destroy the last rainforest piece in that place used for researches!!!WE DONT NEED THIS ****!!

Attachments

• RIO.jpg
    RIO.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 159

So good "racing" is a procession where nothing happens? Please elaborate on what makes good racing and how a track helps with that.

Causality in car races is too complex to go out and deliberately design interesting tracks. It's quite hopeless to try that.

Not that I have a good solution if you have your good track in the wrong location. Just saying that going and planning interesting races by shuffling asphalt around on a whiteboard never worked so far and as said I don't think it ever will.

At the very least there should have been simulation races. But I guess if they had done that they would actually have released this track for a few simulations. Especially to the F1 teams. I didn't see any of that. I think it's just whiteboard + fantasy + wishful thinking.

Istanbul has 3 corners that are exciting, yet mean nothing for overtaking

Istanbul was among the best tracks if not the best for overtaking, the corner leading to the back straight allowed cars to stay close enough to overtake, and the last three corner complex allowed for different lines, so you could complete the pass on the start/finish straight if it failed on the back straight.

Why do all the new Tilke tracks have zero high-speed corners? There looks to be one at Rio, but I suspect it will be full throttle, so not really a corner.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%