Rio F1 Track Configuration Confirmed

I love Interlagos. If I understand well, they move to Rio because the track is in a rough neighbourhood in Sao Paulo?

How about they fix the neighbourhood in Sao Paulo instead? I would bet it would be less expensive to do that than to build a brand new track.

hqdefault.jpg
no man its nothing to do with that,interlagos is not the best neighborhood but isn't bad at all i been there multiple times,they have a very good structure,its like every time i go there i am thrill,i love the energy there,i love that place.

I love Interlagos. If I understand well, they move to Rio because the track is in a rough neighbourhood in Sao Paulo?

Nah. That's not the point. Quite the opposite, in fact, São Paulo's administration wants to sell the circuit grounds to some company who will build expensive residential/business developments, afaik. Destroy our rich racing history in exchange of some of that juicy moolah cash going into their own pockets.

Why not also get some extra cash by siphoning additional funds off another shady deal in Rio, just a few scant years after destroying their own historic Jacarepagua circuit?

Shame, shame, indeed.

Last edited:
Rather boring. When does F1 finally get rid of Hermann Tilke.
They need somebody new to design new tracks.

Alex Wurz could be the answer. He started designing tracks a couple of years ago and with his commentary in Austrian TV in mind I’m pretty sure he‘s allergic to boring race tracks.

„But then you go to the showpiece events like F1, or WEC and the asphalt run-off area is an emotional killer. It’s like using three condoms because there are no consequences for your actions.“

Full interview here.

Last edited:
Sao Paolo has roughly 12 million residents, the racetrack is in the middle of urban aera's.
I understand that the want to relocate it to make space for more housing.
Will miss the track very much on the calendar, but we only enjoy that huge piece of land a few days per year.

saopaolo.jpg

Layout looks similar to Bahrain, but according to sand traps, it will be counter-clockwise, so it will go to the left, which make it unique. And according to what I have seen on google Maps, there is quite some hill in the middle of the part at the moment, so we can expect some elevation too - which is not common to Tilke`s tracks. Looking forward to it.
There's a huge arrow right in front of the starting line indicating it is counter-clockwise

Alex Wurz could be the answer. He started designing tracks a couple of years ago and with his commentary in Austrian TV in mind I’m pretty sure he‘s allergic to boring race tracks.

„But then you go to the showpiece events like F1, or WEC and the asphalt run-off area is an emotional killer. It’s like using three condoms because there are no consequences for your actions.“

Full interview here.
Well, as said many times before, run off areas depends on what the guy paying for the track wants. If he wants motorbikes then asphalt run off will be it on new tracks, Alex designing the tracks would not change that, rules are rules.

Well, as said many times before, run off areas depends on what the guy paying for the track wants. If he wants motorbikes then asphalt run off will be it on new tracks, Alex designing the tracks would not change that, rules are rules.

That was just an exemplary quote from the interview. I suggest reading the rest of it. He has got some valid points.

"'An asphalt run-off area is a love-killer in my view. But for the safety point of view, it’s extremely important. We would have more injuries and maybe fatalities without asphalt run-off areas and all the other safety precautions. So if we make cars safer we can go back to more extreme track designs which then penalises the drivers going off with four wheels way more and we don’t have these discussions about track limits. It’s true that nice smooth run-off areas have led to drivers feeling they can use every inch of tarmac thus effectively making a tight corner less of a challenge – think first corner at Spa-Francorchamps, the La Source hairpin and the ridiculously wide line that everyone takes, pioneered I believe by Nigel Mansell in 1989'. The FIA has even looked into using electronics to automatically slow the F1 cars as a penalty for using run off areas, not something Wurz agrees with. 'The GPDA has worked with the FIA on this,' he confirms. 'But we shouldn’t end up with using artificial power reduction if we go over the white lines, to (make a driver) lose two seconds in lap time, because in the end, in that case you might as well watch Playstation! It has to be a natural penalty, not an artificial one.'

Last edited:
Quoting myself because you are ignoring the important part
FIA is not the only thing that exists, there is the FIM too.

Quoting myself because you are ignoring the important part

Nice discussion culture. I'm not ignoring a thing but to be honest I'm a bit confused because I have no idea what rules you are talking about. You obviously are the FIM expert in this discussion so I'm sure you know exactely where to find them - please point me in the right direction!

The FIM Standards for Circuits 2019 found here surely have a lot to say about Kerbs, verges and gravel beds but I couldn't find a paragraph on mandatory asphalt run off areas. I didn't have the time to read them thoroughly though as I'm at work at the moment so please cut me some slack.

Layout looks similar to Bahrain, but according to sand traps, it will be counter-clockwise, so it will go to the left, which make it unique. And according to what I have seen on google Maps, there is quite some hill in the middle of the part at the moment, so we can expect some elevation too - which is not common to Tilke`s tracks. Looking forward to it.
Tilke's tracks suck in general.

Does that really look like the country road that you would like to take your car down for a quick run, no. F1 has become circuit racing, no longer a road race. Yes, I know it's been that way for a long time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 202 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 256 13.4%